Spitfire Swansong 102 FRS Spitfire Mk22

As a lot of you know, I wouldn't normally have time for modelling at this time of year due to my studies but we are living in interesting times and I'm finding I have some spare time and itchy fingers so I've decided to join this GB with the lovely little Airfix 1/72nd Spitfire F.22 released a few years ago.

Spitfire_Mk22-kit_box

Spitfire_Mk22-kit_contents

I don't normally like doing the scheme provided in the box because, well, anybody can do that, so I've been casting my gaze around for something different, I wanted to do something in the aluminium scheme.  Poring over my references I'd found a couple of suitable candidates but then Michael @Ghostbase started a thread about aircraft his father had flown in whilst at 102 Flying Refresher School (FRS), at RAF North Luffenham and my interest was piqued.  The Spitfires had been replaced in RAuxAF service by Vampires and Meteors by this time, service in units like the Flying Refresher Schools was the Spitfire's final swansong.

The AIRFile book on RAF Trainers Vol:2 1945-2012 has a profile of F.22 PK399 coded M-50 which was in use with 102 FRS in 1951, a quick Google search turned up a small but nonetheless useful photo which showed errors with the profile (the profile shows no underwing roundels or serials, the photo definitely has roundels so I think it's also safe to assume serials would be present too).

This build won't be quick, I shall be fitting things in around work, studies and gardening amongst other things.

• Like 7

Nice subject choice and a good kit Wez. Only issues I can advise you to take care on is the fit of undercarriage legs but otherwise it goes together well.

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice subject choice and a good kit Wez. Only issues I can advise you to take care on is the fit of undercarriage legs but otherwise it goes together well.

Thanks for the tip Col, always useful to learn from someone else's experience.

I've cut the major parts from their sprues, I must say some of the sprue attachment points aren't in ideal locations but hey, we have a mainstream kit of the Spitfire 22 so on balance...

...first some surgery, I'm going to be using an aftermarket cockpit set which comes with a cockpit door, so I cut that out...

Spitfire_Mk22_Fuselage

Then to the wings, Airfix have done a nice job on producing very thin wing trailing edges which includes moulding them and the wing tips with the upper wing.  The lower wing sits slightly proud of the upper wing surface so I thinned it down using my weapon of choice, a 6" steel rule.

Spitfire_Mk22-wing

When I was in the RAF, I used to see the riggers de-burring repair patches and other metal work with a steel rule, it's very effective for thinning wing inner surfaces because it removes a reasonable amount of material quickly and evenly.

One thing I noticed were sink marks on the wing upper surface which will need filling.

Now the sun is shining, the garden is calling and the lawn could stand another mowing.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 4

Some progress on this, I've got the wings together, they fit beautifully and the propeller sort of assembled itself...   ...kind of.

I was test fitting the propeller parts and once I'd got the spinner on over the prop, there it was stuck firm, let's just say the fit is very tight shall we?  Rather than break anything trying to get it apart I decided to leave it and glued the whole thing together.

I've painted the cockpit interior but I'm yet to weather it, I'm waiting for the Pavla cockpit set to turn up from the Big H before I finalise the painting. 

Talking of painting, Airfix would have you paint the cockpit in their 120 shade which looked too bright to me - I've used the 120 to highlight the base colour which is from a tin of Humbrol Authentics, shade HD4 Aircraft Grey-Green which looks more like the shade I'm used to seeing.  Once this tin of Humbrol Authentics runs out, that's it, no more, I shall be bereft!  Given the contents are over 30 years old they still brush beautifully.

Spitfire_Mk22_Progress_1304

One thing that struck me was even though this is the big, butch Spitfire on steroids it's still a very slight aircraft, definitely a case of less is more!

I'm quite enjoying this build, a great mojo restorer.

• Like 5

Some slight progress, I'm still waiting for the Pavla cockpit which the Post Office tells me will arrive tomorrow (not a complaint, grateful to be able to get them by mail order TBH), this is preventing me sticking the big bits together.

I've spent the remaining time fettling all of the other parts in the meantime and found myself getting very irked at where Airfix had chosen to put some of the moulding gates - let me tell you Airfix, the trailing edge of the horizontal stabiliser is not a good place!

I've also been re-learning the lesson that new Swan-Morton scalpel blades are bloody sharp by hacking bits off of my digits, I'm 55, you'd think I'd know better by now!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Wez said:

I've also been re-learning the lesson that new Swan-Morton scalpel blades are bloody sharp by hacking bits off of my digits, I'm 55, you'd think I'd know better by now!

No, I wouldn't. About your age (a couple of years ago :whistle:) I said to Mrs J; 'I'm just going to trim this little bit (wielding his Swan-Morton) then I'm off for a run'. Oops... (as he attempted to sever his thumb). No, I don't think I'll go for run - how about running me to casualty?

Hope you didn't get too much blood on the kit Wez!

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, Wez said:

I've spent the remaining time fettling all of the other parts in the meantime and found myself getting very irked at where Airfix had chosen to put some of the moulding gates - let me tell you Airfix, the trailing edge of the horizontal stabiliser is not a good place!

Thank you .. Im getting tired of that as well. Its not only Airfix that do it. Ive found them front back and extreme outside tip. Everywhere but the joining tab where they should go. 

43 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Hope you didn't get too much blood on the kit Wez!

No, on my t-shirt (navy blue), and jeans (black).  The wonderful Mrs Wez was pleased because blood is a bugger to get out of lighter clothing (apparently).  I'd obviously co-ordinated my outfit expecting such a mishap.

29 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thank you .. Im getting tired of that as well. Its not only Airfix that do it. Ive found them front back and extreme outside tip. Everywhere but the joining tab where they should go. 

Not just me then - every fine edge needs careful fettling to remove the sprue gates, very annoying!

• Like 2