1:48 RAAF Walrus

Hi All,

Happy Easter to one and all! Here is my 1:48 Airfix Supermarine Walrus, built as KF*A of No. 5 Communications Flight RAAF, based in New Guinea, 1943. Finished mostly OOB with the addition of Eduard cockpit set and harnesses, and Montex mask set. This build was notable for me for a number of reasons:

1. First Seaplane

2. First Biplane and therefore rigging attempt

3. First use of masks for insignia and national markings

What could possibly go wrong?! 😬

There are not too many photos of RAAF Walrus' from this period, but here's a few (copyright Australian War Memorial):

img007.jpg

RAAF-Walrus.jpg

raaf-06.jpg

I've elected that these aircraft would have taken a hammering from the tropical sun, so have tried to simulate a faded finish. Finished in a mix of Humbrol and Mig acrylics. Despite the multitude of errors and minor niggles I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, and she has an impressive shelf presence. I enjoyed the challenge of the build, and would highly recommend the kit. Hope you enjoy it - comments and critique gratefully received as ever. Thanks for looking,

Roger

20200329-110752.jpg

20200411-142830.jpg

20200411-142840.jpg

20200411-142857.jpg

20200411-142905.jpg

20200411-142919.jpg

20200411-142937.jpg

20200411-143015.jpg

20200411-143021.jpg

20200411-143045.jpg

20200411-143225.jpg

• Like 59
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Magnificent. The paintwork actually looks well faded as opposed to knackered. Very nice work indeed.

Tony.

Thanks very much Tony!

50 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Very impressive. Well done with the faded finish and rigging.

Thanks for the kind words Vinnie!

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger

What a beautiful model, looks absolutely stunning.great job fella. I particularly like the open windscreen section too.

Thank you for sharing

All the best

Chris

Thanks for the kind words Chris! I'd like to say that the open windscreen was carefully cut & shut by yours truly, but Auntie supply the part in this configuration! Hope you're enjoying your Easter...

Best regards,

Roger

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hutch said:

I love the paint work, it really has that faced look. Is there a particular technique you used? The markings are superb by the way.

Hutch

Thanks for the kind words @Hutch! All I did to achieve the effect was adding progressively greater quantities of a lighter colour to the main colour - Mid Stone to lighten the DSG, and white to the EDSG. I freehanded the camo so it was easy to add a bit of variation here & there...

• Thanks 1

Great job! I particularly like the faded finish you've achieved on the paintwork.a well used machine that spends its time in a harsh environment. All too easy to go somewhat OTT!

First biplane? Bet it won't be your last!😀

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bangor Lad said:

Great job! I particularly like the faded finish you've achieved on the paintwork.a well used machine that spends its time in a harsh environment. All too easy to go somewhat OTT!

First biplane? Bet it won't be your last!😀

Cheers @Bangor Lad - much appreciated! You are correct - I've now got a Stringbag in my sights!

• Like 1

Thanks @Silver Fox for your kind words. Give it a go - you know you want to! I found the Uschi line really easy to use, as long as you are patient. Good luck with it...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nev said:

Lovely work with the faded paint, but the interior is superb!

Thanks for the kind words @Nev - as always although it disappears 'I know it's there!' 🤣

I never knew the RAAF used the Shagbats in New Guinea,so it's an eye opener of some sort to me.The familiar blue and white roundels look beautiful on the weathered Walrus and the additions turned it into a great model.It's a superb Wally Walrus!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kampartiger said:

I never knew the RAAF used the Shagbats in New Guinea,so it's an eye opener of some sort to me.The familiar blue and white roundels look beautiful on the weathered Walrus and the additions turned it into a great model.It's a superb Wally Walrus!

Thanks for the kind words @Kampartiger!

15 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Wonderful Walrus ! A superb build, love the weathered look.

Wulfman

Thanks for the kind words @Wulfman!

Stunning build. Great faded paintwork. Love it, the only thing I noticed was the lack of handles on the ammunition drums ? 

Might just be me old eyes tho,only have a phone and limited magnification. Still a great job 

Stay safe

Regards steve

• Thanks 1

Hello, Dunny -

Wonderful model Walrus! - great finish and excellent rigging.  

Well done!

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Stevejj said:

Stunning build. Great faded paintwork. Love it, the only thing I noticed was the lack of handles on the ammunition drums ? 

Might just be me old eyes tho,only have a phone and limited magnification. Still a great job 

Stay safe

Regards steve

Thanks for the kind words @Stevejj! You are indeed correct - I may well go back and add some!

Cheers, 

Roger