2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

a rare 1/72 Xtrakit Spitfire XII, and now is a good time to build it

It certainly is Cookie!

If you want to read a bit about what it was like in combat, try to get Tom Neil's 'Spitfire from the cockpit'. (Of course, you may already have a copy :D)

I have one in the stash and look forward to seeing how it builds.

Best wishes,

• Like 1

Somewhat jealous in that you have what I viewed as "Unobtainium" in 1/72 so had to go about constructing on in a somewhat circuitous manner, using a Ventura Seafire XV as the base.

I now need to build an actual Seafire XV!

Looking forward to the whole GB 

IanJ

• Like 2

Good choice,

I knocked one up with a vac form conversion fuselage - can't remember where I got the wings but either a Mk V or Mk IX I guess. At least one of the test pilots (Quill?) is said to have liked the XII better than any other mark he flew - not brilliant above 20000ft but went like stink at low level, as quite a few Fw 190 pilots found out to their cost.

Have fun!

Pete

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

using a Ventura Seafire XV as the base.

As I did like wise for the Edgar Brooks Memorial Group Build a couple of years ago, I seem to rememebr yours in there too?

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

vac form conversion fuselage -

Aeroclub did one which I have one of, to be used with a Airfix Spitfire Vb kit from memory, not necessarily accurately remembered though. :(

I'll be along for this @Cookenbacher, one of these is a bit of a holy grail to me too.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks for coming along everybody!

I built a couple 1/72 Mk XII's in the last STGB.

a5bWYJVf_o.jpg

One is the CMR kit, and the other is a Sword Vc with a Pegasus conversion kit. Sorry for the poorly lit shot.

Off we go!

BckOhuM5_o.jpg

I removed the rudder to make it easier to join the fuselage halves. I think I'll replace it with a spare Eduard one.

Backing plates added for the exhausts, and one Griffon nose attached. When building kits with separate noses like this, I like to attach one so it's line up nice, then join the fuselage halves and then add the second nose half.

ZAJCUkCm_o.jpg

HlfSEgks_o.jpg

It's hard to tell from this pic, but blech.

But nothing a few beads of superglue and copious sanding can't cure.

And some acrylic yellow to check the seams.

3Uq6lByr_o.jpg

I'll add the cockpit through the wing gap.

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Well, got the wings attached, which with a Sword kit is really about half the battle.

I hear you .... :banghead:  I' m very close to attaching the wings on my Sword kit, I hope it comes out as good (even though it is a totally different beast... :D ) 

Nice and clean job :clap: 

Ciao

PS: wait. I went back at the beginning of the topic and this is an Xtrakit box. Then you say it's a Sword kit - am I missing something? 😕 

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Cookie! :) 

Thanks Ced! Looking forward to the camo on your LA-7's.

8 hours ago, giemme said:

I went back at the beginning of the topic and this is an Xtrakit box. Then you say it's a Sword kit - am I missing something? 😕 

The Xtrakit Mk XII has Sword sprues. I don't know how the deal between Sword and Xtrakit worked, since I don't think Sword ever had their own boxing of the XII, perhaps @Procopius knows?

7 hours ago, Johnson said:

Good work Cookie.

You obviously like Mk XIIs! 😁

Thanks Charlie, I do like Mk XII's, and Mk V's, and IX's/XVI's, oh and the Mk XIV highbacks (and lowbacks) and...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, giemme said:

I went back at the beginning of the topic and this is an Xtrakit box. Then you say it's a Sword kit - am I missing something? 😕 

With the exception of the re-boxed Matchbox Meteor NF, all the Xtrakits I have built or an building are moulded for Hannants by Sword, MPM, or Special Hobby who are all related companies. In some cases they may have been released by the moulding company as well, but usually not that particular mark, eg Xtrakit Vampire FB 5, but SH Mk 1,3,6 and 52 as I think that was part of the arrangement with Hannants.

Pete

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The Xtrakit Mk XII has Sword sprues. I don't know how the deal between Sword and Xtrakit worked, since I don't think Sword ever had their own boxing of the XII, perhaps @Procopius knows?

I know other Xtrakit deals, as with MPM for their Vampire and Meteor F.8 and T.7, allowed the sprue producer to do their own boxings later. For whatever reason, that seems to have not been the case with the Xtrakit XII. My only guess would be that the molds were irretrievably altered to make their Seafire XV.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Cookie, Pete and PC - thanks for the insights :thumbsup: This Sword kit I'm building is my first venture into short-run world, so I know nothing about those companies.

Thanks again, guys! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

With the exception of the re-boxed Matchbox Meteor NF, all the Xtrakits I have built or an building are moulded for Hannants by Sword, MPM, or Special Hobby who are all related companies. In some cases they may have been released by the moulding company as well, but usually not that particular mark, eg Xtrakit Vampire FB 5, but SH Mk 1,3,6 and 52 as I think that was part of the arrangement with Hannants.

Sword is distinct from the Special Hobby/MPM umbrella. In the case of the Vampire, Special Hobby's Azur label rereleased the FB5 with their own decals: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/azur-a117-vampire-fb-mk5--227228. For the T.7 and F.8 Meteors, MPM rereleased both with different markings and in several boxings, but the same basic types. MPM also did the awful Xtrakit Spitfire 22, which they subsequently rereleased.

I think Sword also did the Supermarine Scimitar for Xtrakit, which has also never been rereleased under the Sword name either, come to think, so maybe it's just a Sword thing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1