Academy SBD-5 Dauntless 1/48

Hello,

Just finished this one here. It’s the old Accurate Miniatures reboxed by Academy. I’ve been reading a lot of praising for this kit, the best Dauntless in this scale, a classic etc etc. Well, I have to say, not a bad kit, in general, but I’m not that enthusiastic about it. But, being fair, just could not be that good, given its age. 

The clear parts are terrible. When not cracked, with me 3 out of 5 were, they don’t fit well, either if you choose closed or open, stacked, canopy. 

For the rest, except for the flashing in almost all parts, it was ok. Oh yes, the manual too, not good. I was told to search on line for the original Accurate manual, which I did, and it turned out way better than the Academy one, even having some parts that don’t match the model.

Hope you’ll enjoy.

Cheers!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

As I recall, the reason you're encouraged to find the original instructions is that AM laid down a strict sequence for assembling the cockpit interior so that all the parts would get in. It's been boxed by Italeri as well, as has the AM Avenger.

13 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

As I recall, the reason you're encouraged to find the original instructions is that AM laid down a strict sequence for assembling the cockpit interior so that all the parts would get in. It's been boxed by Italeri as well, as has the AM Avenger.

That's right. In the cockpit, and glueing the fuselage halves, if you don't follow the right sequence, you run into trouble.

16 minutes ago, reggie78usmc said:

awesome build! i just saw the Midway movie too!

thank you!!

18 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

From one George to another...very nice. I think a ran afoul with the instructions and that's why its been sitting in the box for years

Thank you George. You can download it from scalemates.

6 hours ago, Nev said:

That's a beauty! 😍  Paint job and weathering are superb.

Thank you!!

45 minutes ago, Mark Joyce said:

I was going to say the same thing, so I'll just quote Nev!

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you!

31 minutes ago, RichieW said:

All been said already, what a superb build. You must be so pleased with it.

Yes, I am. Thank you!

Excellent job, George! You’ve done a really nice job of overall finishing, and it makes the model very appealing to look at. Well done.

It’s a shame to hear you had such trouble with the kit. I have quite a few original issue Accurate Miniatures kits in my stash, and none of them had a lick of flash, and Accurate Miniatures’ boxes had a false bottom that protected the clear parts and decals. Disappointing to hear that the molds aren’t producing the same quality that they once did. 

Thanks for sharing this build!

9 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

Excellent job, George! You’ve done a really nice job of overall finishing, and it makes the model very appealing to look at. Well done.

It’s a shame to hear you had such trouble with the kit. I have quite a few original issue Accurate Miniatures kits in my stash, and none of them had a lick of flash, and Accurate Miniatures’ boxes had a false bottom that protected the clear parts and decals. Disappointing to hear that the molds aren’t producing the same quality that they once did. 

Thanks for sharing this build!

Thank you. You're right,  it seems to me Academy didn't care enough to maintain the standards. The quality of the manual, compared to the original one proves that, for instance.