USS Fletcher 1/144

Stunning work Beefy. I have one of those gyro cutters. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but when I do it correctly, its great.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Well it has been a bit of a slow week on this build to hot to be inside for a few but some small progress made I have scratch built one of the missing bridge lockers looks sort of nearly there added a few more ladders and bascket things I think these might have been for the side netting storage :idea:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 12

Gent's thanks for all the kind words with more work done on some of the deck fittings aiming director and what I think is the grenade launcher ? and the ships motor launches.

Filled the deck holes with some scrap PE to make it look like a plate at the bottom of the ladders will paint and scratch it to make it look worn.

Then had a nightmare with one of the ladders while folding the step plates it just fell apart my clumsy hands :rage:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Will have to rebuild it and hope it looks OK

Also looking at the life rafts they have a PE insert but not sure as weather to use not sure if the fit parts just look ok or with the PE what do you lot think ?

PE dry fitted to the left ones and top one just primed.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 13

The molded base on those rafts doesn't look too bad, while surprising the PE looks a little bulkier in the photo.  For me, it would come down to whether I'd want bigger openings between the slats, or not.  Both look pretty good, so IMHO going with either the kit rafts or the PE would be okay.

John  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Gent's thanks for all the kind words with more work done on some of the deck fittings aiming director and what I think is the grenade launcher ? and the ships motor launches.

Filled the deck holes with some scrap PE to make it look like a plate at the bottom of the ladders will paint and scratch it to make it look worn.

Then had a nightmare with one of the ladders while folding the step plates it just fell apart my clumsy hands :rage:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also looking at the life rafts they have a PE insert but not sure as weather to use not sure if the fit parts just look ok or with the PE what do you lot think ?

PE dry fitted to the left ones and top one just primed.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

I think the etch looks a bit clunky in comparison.  The originals look really neat

Rob

• Like 3

I think for the PE to work well, you'd need to cut away the plastic underneath.  But that's a one way trip for something that isn't guaranteed to be better.  Personally I'd stick with the plastic.

• Like 2

Well after a bit more research ( Yes i do look for things myself sometimes) I found this photo on the link @JohnWS showing the planking to be quite wide and on another photo it shows other stuff stored inside so will add some bits a bob,s and use the PE.

spacer.png

And on a small update a few more bits added deck crane for the torpedo loading beefed up with some scrap PE fret the joints where horrible and some rails fitted to bridge area.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Very curvy this bit for top of bridge.

spacer.png

spacer.png

and starting on the upper deck

spacer.png

Stay Safe 

beefy

• Like 10

1 minute ago, robgizlu said:

Please can you do all my railings for me?

Hi Rob

This kit makes it look easy because you have a small lip at the edge of all the decks so when fitting I can just do small sections and work my way around while gluing into place bit of a cheat really :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 3

As Rob suggests, those etch railings look superb. I've never done etch railings on a warship, largely as I haven't built (or at least completed) one since they have been readily available! I will have to do it one day soon, but slightly dreading the prospect!

Terry

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

As Rob suggests, those etch railings look superb. I've never done etch railings on a warship, largely as I haven't built (or at least completed) one since they have been readily available! I will have to do it one day soon, but slightly dreading the prospect!

Terry

Thanks Gent's you are to kind but I do appreciate the kind words and help

Terry the railings really are not that difficult with a bit of patience and a good optivisor and I have plenty of time on my hands for now so quite enjoying this build just sorting something out for the base to get that ready for construction :idea:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, beefy66 said:

spacer.png

I love the detail in that picture Beefy, a real help for modellers of these stalwart destroyers. I was intruiged to notice the "kill" markings on the outside of the bridge deck sidewalls. A bit of a tally for this ship I'd say.

Terry

• Like 3

8 hours ago, beefy66 said:

spacer.png

I know earlier I said go with the plastic for the inside of the floats but seeing the float the bottom of this image I'm no longer convinced.  The straps are much wider than I would expect in a British float so I think the PE would work (with the same caveat that I put in above that you'd need to cut away the plastic)

• Like 3