USS Fletcher 1/144

9 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Top notch pe work there Beefy, great job!

Geoff 

Cheers Geoff

Well after studying this photo again I noticed that the bridge wing supports in the kit only have two but there are three if you can see just under the life ring on the Port side near the Davit,s.

Need to figure out how to add and crop these photos properly  :shrug:

spacer.png

So using some brass rod added the missing support bar at the aft part of the wing and secured the remaining rails and ladders.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also added the fire control valves to the bulkhead and you can see the plates I added to cover the deck holes for the base of the ladders these still need painting.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 15

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

The detail is looking 1/72 :coolio:

How lucky you are to have such detailed and clear photographs :sick:

Rob

Cheers Rob but the photos have to be given credit to @JohnWS and @franco1964 for helping out with links cheers lad's

So small update before an afternoon in the garden to get intouch with my son and his lovely fiance on what should have been their wedding day  :think:

Twin Borfos dry fitted and the aft funnel searchlights secured also the torpedo winch

spacer.png

spacer.png

I used the Glue and Glaze to fix the lens it drys clear

spacer.png

and what I think is the poulson grenade launcher but i could be wrong as usual  :whistle:

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 15

Beautiful work beefy.

That thing aft of the torpedo tubes is the 5 inch gun practice loader.

spacer.png

Here's another little tidbit of info I didn't know 'til now.   

The circular blast shield enclosing the control station atop the aft torpedo tubes was not for protection from enemy fire so much as it was for protecting the torpedomen from the concussion and roar of 5″/38 caliber Gun Mount 53 which is just aft of the tubes. The blast of a 5″ gun can be quite deafening and so the concussion shield was needed here, & not on the forward tubes.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, JohnWS said:

That thing aft of the torpedo tubes is the 5 inch gun practice loader.

Gidday, I have that on a 1/700 scale model, I wondered what it was. Thanks.

18 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Need to figure out how to add and crop these photos properly

I paste the photo onto 'Paint' on the computer, do the required cropping there, then 'save as'. It keeps the original photo intact plus gives you another cropped to your requirements. HTH.

Exquisite detail there, Beefy. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gent's thanks again for following and all the kind words.

Well looks like the weather will be turning soon so will be able to get back to this instead of the garden and BBQ's :drink:

Small update getting the orliekons done six of them you can tell I am used to production lines :whistle: and some of the anchor fittings and doorway covers.

Frames glued to the shields when still on the PE fret

spacer.png

Shoulder rests added

spacer.png

Shield added to pedestal

spacer.png

Main barrel fitted and height adjust control.

spacer.png

and painted

spacer.png

And a nice parcel arrived from Peter Hall with not being able to get to any shows now and not spending anything well sort of  :wink: and my birthday is in a couple of weeks I treated myself to a few bits and pieces.

Brass barrels extra deck markings and spare railings and ladders

spacer.png

Oh and these kits

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 14

13 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Oh and these kits

Two very neccesary and respectable additions to ones stash. Indeed, some of us might ask, why stop at just these two .............?

A second Type 15 is on my future shopping list, along with a Black Swan class and Consort (the Yangtsee big Boys of course), a Tribal (type 81), a Battle radar picket, a type 14, a brace of Leander's, a County, a type 22, a type 42 ........... where do I stop?

Better crack on and get the current stash down a bit!

Terry

• Haha 4

On 6/2/2020 at 11:32 PM, robgizlu said:

It's those big Boys again..............

Well you ought to know.... :wink:

On 6/3/2020 at 9:27 AM, Terry1954 said:

Better crack on and get the current stash down a bit!

You and me both Terry  :poke:

Well small update more rails fitted to the upper level and the extra shields around the doorways also the carley floats have been given a dark wash and more dry fitting and testing of the main guns

On 5/29/2020 at 2:02 PM, JohnWS said:

The circular blast shield enclosing the control station atop the aft torpedo tubes was not for protection from enemy fire so much as it was for protecting the torpedomen from the concussion and roar of 5″/38 caliber Gun Mount 53 which is just aft of the tubes. The blast of a 5″ gun can be quite deafening and so the concussion shield was needed here, & not on the forward tubes.

And I can understand now why they would need that shield around the aft torpedo launcher very close when it went BANG

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the anchor chains and covers

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 14

On 6/3/2020 at 4:27 PM, Terry1954 said:

where do I stop?

Why stop?

And Beefy, I just lurve those 20mm Oerlikons. The rest isn't bad, either. 🙂   Regards, Jeff.

Edited by ArnoldAmbrose
  • Haha 2

On 6/3/2020 at 9:27 AM, Terry1954 said:

where do I stop?

6 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Why stop?

That's my problem I cant stop need to get my finger out big time  :poke:

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Stash envy is a terrible thing... Nurse, more pills please!

The Fletcher is coming to life now, don't know about the torpedo guys, but how did the orliekon gunners concentrate with the main guns going off right over their heads?

Looks fantastic mate! Great stuff!

Geoff 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, beefy66 said:

That's my problem I cant stop need to get my finger out big time  :poke:

spacer.png

Dear Beefy,

It's time you sat Mrs Beefy down and quietly explained that there's not enough time left and that you are (regretfully) going to have to give up that silly little irritation called work to pursue your higher calling and pay the respect to the stash that it duly deserves.  Apologise (sincerely) and explain that it's now her duty to support you (check marriage vows) in your noble quest.

Otherwise you are denying us the pleasure of seeing all these built :crying:

Do let us know how it goes.

Yours sincerely

Rob Matthews (Counsellor)

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

6 hours ago, robgizlu said:

and that you are (regretfully) going to have to give up that silly little irritation called work to pursue your higher calling and pay the respect to the stash that it duly deserves.

Gidday, One minor problem with this otherwise highly desirable course of action - bills! They keep multiplying and re-appearing. 😟 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks like their are gangs of big boys around, they're here too.

11 hours ago, robgizlu said:

give up that silly little irritation called work

...and that's what I'm doing in 15 months, not that I'm counting.

Stuart

• Like 4

On 6/6/2020 at 6:04 AM, longshanks said:

Wow that's a serious habit you have there......

Yes the itch does go away sometimes :whistle:

On 6/6/2020 at 10:25 AM, robgizlu said:

give up that silly little irritation called work

Well have been talking about that to missus B and she said I have to wait for another three years fingers crossed  🤞

But then she wants to stop work to  :shrug:

On 6/6/2020 at 4:42 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

One minor problem with this otherwise highly desirable course of action - bills!

Yes I am sick of that bloke as well

On 6/6/2020 at 10:02 PM, Courageous said:

.and that's what I'm doing in 15 months, not that I'm counting.

Really had not noticed  :coolio:

Well back to work today after 9 weeks but as Jeff says bills to pay

A lot of small stuff getting done now 30 depth charges and throwers then the winches and boat Davits

spacer.png

spacer.png

and a forest of bits

spacer.png

Then the postman left another parcel care of @robgizlu who was ordering from Micromaster so I added my few bits and the details are tremendous and the cotton wool will come in handy as well

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 11

On 29/05/2020 at 14:02, JohnWS said:

I was watching a fascinating DVD over the weekend which showed the Town class cruiser HMS BIRMINGHAM undertaking Naval Gunfire Support with spotting provided by 2 Seafires, supposedly into the Cotentin peninsula in France.  A and B turrets were both in use and each salvo had 6 rounds of 6 inch heading off towards the French countryside.  The bridge staff who were all no more than 20 or so yards from B turret were all without any form of ear defenders.  I remember being nearly deafened by a 4.5 inch in a Type 21 while I was on the midships emergency conning position and was a little slow to put my ear defenders on.

Love the work going on here.  I must look into Micromaster for my future builds; their quality is superb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well things a bit slow this week back at work so the early mornings are a bit of a shock to the system  :sleep_1:

Added the depth charges and handling winches and made a start on the hull weathering trying some AK stuff as well as my usual oils.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Few touch ups to sort out

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And these things on the stern not sure if they have something to do with the depth charge racks that are still to go on?

spacer.png

beefy

• Like 13