USS Fletcher 1/144

Well small update main mast made up and started on the paint primed with Halfords Grey Auto and deck Blue added then the masking for the rounded bits I have used a combination of baking foil and Maskol

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 15

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

As  ever impressive PE work

Looks like a lot of patience going into that masking

Cheers Kev

Got to be patient the whole house has now been decorated so not much else to do apart from plan what next to build and dog walks  :dog: and even he said when are you going back to work so he can have a rest.

Stay Safe mate

beefy

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, beefy66 said:

used a combination of baking foil and Maskol

Happily going to steal that idea!

Great masking there, the mast looks very impressive!

Stay safe there.

Geoff 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Happily going to steal that idea!

Happy to pass it on I nicked the idea from David Griffith's book :whistle:

Small update after painting could not resist the dry fitting

spacer.png

spacer.png

And started on the main guns

spacer.png

spacer.png

Bit of a poor fit around the rear and roof joints but sorted with some white putty

spacer.png

spacer.png

Another 4 to do

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 14

Cheers Gent's for the kind comments and likes really appreciated.

So todays update all the main guns blinged up and while on a roll got the two torpedo launchers done as well one has the armoured cover fitted and the other is just open to the elements.

To fit the end covers I left some of the kit part as a joint area the PE instructions would have you take them right back to the edge which does not give you much to get a hold onto.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And my order from Name It arrived with the new Name plate and the next ones in line for completion.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 11

I think you’re really enjoying this one mate. You definitely did the right thing leaving some the kit parts on the tubes for the brass - looking great 👍👍

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, longshanks said:

Loaded for bear :shoot:

Stay safe and avoid the gulls :penguin:

Kev

Cheers Kev

And still more to make up for the Bears

16 hours ago, Murdo said:

That PE looks superb but a wee bit scary

Cheers it only looks scary when you first open the packet but I think I am starting to get used to it now :rage:

16 hours ago, BeeKay said:

I think you’re really enjoying this one mate. You definitely did the right thing leaving some the kit parts on the tubes for the brass - looking great 👍👍

Cheers mate got to keep myself busy with something but enjoying it that is another thing it is going well so far so hope I can keep it like that  :wink:

Small update and not much to show but the painting and masking is working out so far apart from a few touch ups.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay safe

beefy

• Like 15

20 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Lovely,

PE looking spot on! 

Guy

18 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Nice paintwork! :yes:

John

18 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Very nice work on the painting!

And the oil canning looks great!

15 hours ago, franco1964 said:

Nice work! How did you mask the whole hull? I,'ve lost this stage!

15 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Really good work on the camo! :clap2:

Geoff 

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Super job on the painting but the "canning" really moves this forwards a dimension.

Mr B - please take a bow - :clap2:

Rob

Cheers Gent,s hope you are all enjoying the entertainment I have a confession about the hull I did make a mess of it first time around tried to work freehand with the camo but it looked terrible  💩 in fact.

So this is how I recovered it seeing as @franco1964 has spotted that I omitted it after repainting the hull in the dark Sea Blue when dry I started to mask the pattern from the instructions.

I use a wide 40mm tape I split the hull into 4 sections to work in small areas at a time placing the tape on the hull then drawing out the pattern, remove the tape then cut out the shapes using a Gyro-Cutter   

Then place the mask along the hull and spray the lighter Ocean Gray nothing to complicated really and the Gyro-Cutter was quite cheep from a trader at SMW about 5 years ago think you can get them Hobby Craft shops

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

For the upper structures I have done this freehand because of all the small details keeping the air pressure low and the paint thin.

spacer.png

HTH

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 14

Thank you beefy for your explanations, it will be a must for my next project, and I'll absolutely follow your idea.

Usually, if you consent me, I go from the lighter to the darker color, so, first I do the light color and after the darker, it's easier to cover the area you need to paint.

I really enjoy your work.

Cheers

Franco

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2020 at 7:14 PM, longshanks said:

Master classes now  :thumbsup:

Your to kind sir  :blush:

On 5/16/2020 at 8:04 PM, franco1964 said:

Thank you beefy for your explanations, it will be a must for my next project, and I'll absolutely follow your idea.

Usually, if you consent me, I go from the lighter to the darker color, so, first I do the light color and after the darker, it's easier to cover the area you need to paint.

I really enjoy your work.

Cheers

Franco

Franco that is my normal method of light first then darker when painting a camo pattern but this was the quickest way to fix my mistake.

So small update been adding some of the railing around the smaller structures

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 8