USS Fletcher 1/144

Beefy - the hull is looking Fab - that is one good job you've made of that B),  nailed it Ma Son!!

As for the ethc bending tool :sick:  oodles of jealousy!!

It's certainly done the job

I looked one up tp buy ..........ouch!!!

Rob

• Like 1

Great work on the hull!

I'll absolutely follow your work as I have the same model, but in Platinum Edition, in my stash.

I place here a couple of picture of the Hull, as reference, of a real Fletcher's class Destroyer, USS Cassing Young, that I visited in 2018 and actually lay on Boston Harbor.

49804817113_c2c0f27fe9_k.jpgIMG_20181107_181723 by Franco Segato, su Flickr

49805372391_00ed1578e2_k.jpgIMG_20181107_181718 by Franco Segato, su Flickr

If you need any other picture as reference let me know.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, franco1964 said:

If you need any other picture as reference let me know

Hi @franco1964

Thank you very much for posting the great photos I have been looking at similar photos online of the same ship and also USS KIDD great reference material I am hoping to visit this ship and Intrepid in New York sometime in the future when all is OK

I have also been on Jeremiah O'Brien and USS Pampanito in San Francisco

spacer.png

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Nice job Beefy,

I’ve been looking at that rolling set too... 

Guy

Cheers Guy

I have had mine for about 8 years now but worth every penny along with the Hold and Fold 5"inch and Bug I would also recommend some of the mission tools multitool and flat nose pliers the multi tool is the one that looks like it can do some serious damage but is good for wrapping wire and getting conical shapes formed.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Beefy - shame on you, all that bling - I am thoroughly jealous :sick:

R

Well it is from years of collecting I am a Magpie after all what can I say I like shiny stuff  :footy:

But not so much brass been working on on the funnel and deck fittings hatches the rings on the top of the funnel where a RPITA  :rage:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 14

Lovely PE work Beefy!

I’m amassing tools too. I’ve been spending way too much but it’s nice to have quality stuff. Most generic modelling tools are a bit rubbish frankly - and overpriced for what they are. I’ve just ordered a magnifying headband from The Loupe Store in the Uk:

https://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Surgical-Loupes/Binocular-LED-headband-magnifier.html

Not cheap, but I’m fed up up with rubbish sets off eBay and I’ll get a lot of use out of them! 

Can I ask what glue you use and how you apply it for those teeny funnel bits Beefy?

Good job,

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

16 hours ago, robgizlu said:

It all looks top notch Beefy :D

Rob

16 hours ago, Dads203 said:

You don’t make things easy for yourself do you mate :hmmm: 

This is one build I’m looking forward to seeing shape up Beefy, loving it so far.

Cheers Chaps

Dan as for not making things easy for myself I have a couple of people here on BM not to far away to blame/thank for that :whistle:

15 hours ago, Alan P said:

Very nice, neat and tidy PE work.

That multitool of yours looks like the core of a sabot round. Where did you find it again...:hmmm:

Hi Alan cheers and the so called multitool in the photo was made by a friend from 13 mm diameter aluminum bar after trying to get hold of one he made it for me but I have seen a similar design @ Mission Models Tools not sure but think @little-carshas them also

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

The funnel looks to be a model in its own right.

Good to see you building rather than relieving your frustrations with a grinder 😉

Kev

Cheers Kev what gives you the impression I am frustrated nothing quite like a bit of grinding/wire brushing in the sunshine I am currently cleaning up the patio set ready to paint quite therapeutic actually and keep missus b happy for a while  :coolio:

5 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Lovely PE work Beefy!

I’m amassing tools too. I’ve been spending way too much but it’s nice to have quality stuff. Most generic modelling tools are a bit rubbish frankly - and overpriced for what they are. I’ve just ordered a magnifying headband from The Loupe Store in the Uk:

https://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Surgical-Loupes/Binocular-LED-headband-magnifier.html

Not cheap, but I’m fed up up with rubbish sets off eBay and I’ll get a lot of use out of them! 

Can I ask what glue you use and how you apply it for those teeny funnel bits Beefy?

Good job,

Guy

Cheers Guy

The glues I use vary for the job the deck hatches where glued with Gator's Grip the fine PE funnel rings I use Deluxe Materials Hot(Thin) and Rapid(Thick) depending on strength of joint required for application of the PE I use Tacky-wax on either tweezers or the point of a scalpel blade I collect a small dab of glue on a small blunt end of a fine drill bit to place on the joint and use an activator to speed up the curing if needed

My Optivisor is a cheap Rolson make from Aldi for £7.50 about 10 years ago also get other workzone stuff from there I find it quite good. I also collect tooling and bits and Bob's from the traders at the shows I attend with the Washington Model Club I am a member of.

A good cheap trader I found at the Bolton show was these guys all sorts of tools in there catalouge.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Happy St Georges Day  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well second funnel completed each of the location brackets on all handrails has to be twisted at a 90 degree angle I do this by using round nose tweezers position the rail and then dab on some of the thin CA

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 12

Tidy stuff Beefy, looking great there.

Squire's, another top tip. May head over there once everything gets back to normal, if there is such a thing...

Geoff 

• Thanks 1

Hello Beefy

I'm really looking forward to it, and following now your build. 

This large scale is unusual for me, and opens up completely new perspectives!

Cheers

Andreas

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2020 at 8:40 PM, Courageous said:

Beefy, you're a tool tart.

Thanks for the kind comments and likes Gent's

Stuart you got me in one  BUSTED  :whistle:

Well the weekend (and missus b ) had me busy doing jobs around the house but have started removing more plastic ready for adding the PE doors and ladders on some of the superstructure parts.

spacer.png

A lot of chisel file and sanding work and remember to number the parts when removed from the sprue  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Because of the heavy sanding some of the rivet details where lost I will replace them with some Archer transfers.

And started on some pre shading of the hull

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Am I to take it that if you decide to display the PE doors open, do you drill away the plastic? Think I know the answer, just need confirmation.

Stuart

Hi Stuart yes you have to drill out the panel but on this kit Revell have moulded the rear face with an indentation so you have to be careful not to take to much from the front

spacer.png

The fiddly bits are the locking handles X4 on each door  :rage:

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1