The release of Airfix's excellent early Hunter allowed me to create a model of a Hunter F.1, something I have wanted to do for some time.

spacer.png

The only kit-bashing I did was to model the aircraft without the 'Sabrinas' and create my own decals for the 43 Squadron markings.  To model a version without the 'Sabrina' link collectors, it is necessary to modify where the link and cartridge ejector ports were because they are quite different to the locations in the standard model as this illustrates:

spacer.png

This led me to undertake a mild amount of modification to the model's underside.

spacer.png

Regarding decals, Fantasy Print Shop do create suitable set but with them locked-down because of the epidemic, I resorted to printing my own.  Fortunately, the presence of plain A4 sheet, combined with a laser printer and something no more sophisticated than PowerPoint allowed me to have a good go.  The aircraft squadron letter was a challenge because you can't print white but you can print the outline and then cut-out the character very carefully.  I chose WH641, aircraft 'T' as cutting-out a 'G' or an 'S' was way beyond my capabilities!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Here are some more shots of the finished aircraft, I hope you like them and a full set can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMuGa7w

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

I’m in the same position as Silver Fox with a pre-Sabrina Hunter (or two) planned so thank you for the details of the mods I’ll need to do too.  Also thanks for that lovely underside shot of WN950b, there aren’t that many that I’ve seen of Sapphire-engined Hunters.

• Thanks 1

@cngaero, @keith in the uk, @Duncan B, @Alpha Delta 210, @chris148, @Silver Fox, @stever219, @mtkrl92, @SAT69, @bryanm and @Shorty84, thank you all very much indeed for your kind words and encouragement.  It is a huge boost to one's morale to receive such praise as this and it is most sincerely appreciated.

Now for an Airfix 1/48 TSR.2 and the eternal debate: prototype in white or 'What if' in camouglage!

Kind regards and stay safe,

Neil

• Like 1

A TSR.2 in camouflage would be an interesting project. Perhaps the grey used on late RAF Tornadoes. Or an overall gunship grey? Sand camouflage from Desert Storm?  There are multiple great possibilities!

2 hours ago, SAT69 said:

A TSR.2 in camouflage would be an interesting project. Perhaps the grey used on late RAF Tornadoes. Or an overall gunship grey? Sand camouflage from Desert Storm?  There are multiple great possibilities!

How about one in the colours of one of the French Mirage IV units?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Xtradecal X48070 is still available, if anyone's looking for some ready inspiration.

I'm not a what-if guy so for me, it's got to be white!😉

6 hours ago, neilfergylee said:

@cngaero, @keith in the uk, @Duncan B, @Alpha Delta 210, @chris148, @Silver Fox, @stever219, @mtkrl92, @SAT69, @bryanm and @Shorty84, thank you all very much indeed for your kind words and encouragement.  It is a huge boost to one's morale to receive such praise as this and it is most sincerely appreciated.

Now for an Airfix 1/48 TSR.2 and the eternal debate: prototype in white or 'What if' in camouglage!

Kind regards and stay safe,

Neil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@SAT69, @stever219, @Steve Coombs, @Alpha Delta 210

Oh crikey, what have I done?!  I must confess that if I was going to do a what-if, it would be pretty modest, simply a dark green, dark sea grey, light aircraft grey version from the late 1960s.

It seems that the first two Xtradecal sheets are nearly unobtainable but the third is readily available although definitely 'out there' in terms of possibilities.  Just for the time being I shall continue to build the model without forcing myself down one particular path until I get to the airframe.

I shall keep you posted though: it's great to have such a wealth of knowledge and options to fall-back upon!

Cheers,

Neil

Truly superb work Neil, and something to encourage me to continue my stalled build of almost the same -  in my case a 1/32nd Hunter F1 also to be in 43 Sqn markings - I have an Echelon vacform about half done.

Thanks for the comments on the ejector link ports position - must check the Echelon drawings (which are excellent)

I think the only thing I'd ask a small question about is the rear of your canopy - this is something which has long puzzled me. 

Is there actually a  metal fairing around the rear which can be painted or was there simply a flexible seal around the inside?  I seem to recall it looking like it was just a plain perspex edge, but (a) that seems unlikely for a pressure cabin and (b) it's  a heck of a long time since I was last up close to a single seat Hunter. 

John B