Tamiya M4 Sherman - Lockdown Build!

How do chaps,

Due to the fact that I'm working from home for the foreseeable, I've managed to increase my shed time a fair bit and seem to be more motivated to build models! Several reasons for this but the main one is that I currently don't have to go and pick the boss up from work 3 evenings a week as she's currently 'home based' as well. This is the Tamiya M4 Sherman that I knocked up in around 2 weeks or so (a record for me!) 

Painted with Mig Olive Drab and Olive Drab Highlights. The turret bax was painted in Mic SCC2 Brown to add a bit of variety. Stowage was painted with a mix of Mig and Vallejo and washed with GW Agrax Earthshade. The weathering is Vallejo and Tamiya textured paint and various pigments. Fuel stains are from the Mig Engine Oil wash. Stowage is from Value Gear and the turret box is from Ultracast Canada. The tracks were taken from a very old and scrapped Dragon Sherman III. A link was cut from each one to give a nice fit to the tank. The decals were made up from various sheets and are meant to represent a tank for the East Riding Yeomanry of the 33rd Armoured Div in Normandy. I've no doubt they're not correct but I like the look of them. The B Squadron markings on the turret are from the Tamiya Churchill sheet and to be honest they were better that the Star/Bison Decals I used for the rest of the markings. These has really thick carrier film that only really showed up once they were on and had dried. The census numbers were from an Archer dry rub sheet for British vehicles. 

Any how, comments and suggestions welcome.... 

WWOECYo.jpg

WDYjZZP.jpg

qkmjXIn.jpg

py1DZtn.jpg

i1qyGS5.jpg

LHXX64o.jpg

If I keep building at this rate I will have to replenish the stash! :whistle:

Regards and stay safe,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve, really nice looking Sherman, but 2 weeks, I'd still be contemplating cutting open the plastic bags at the that point..... 

Mind you don't run out, might not be easy to replenish the stash at present......just imagine.....  😱

Atb

Darryl

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, fatfingers said:

This is the Tamiya M4 Sherman that I knocked up in around 2 weeks or so (a record for me!) 

Two weeks good god i need to get my bum in gear.....mine took about 3 months and i'm still looking at it with the view to doing a few more bits.

Lovely job looks suitably dirty and used and subtle weathering .....top job.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 5:02 PM, Steve27752 said:

Excellent build, and nice to see the stowed items on the deck tied down.

Thanks. I've lost count of the models i've built over the years and forgot to tie the stowage on the back!

On 4/11/2020 at 9:13 AM, Jasper dog said:

Hi Steve, really nice looking Sherman, but 2 weeks, I'd still be contemplating cutting open the plastic bags at the that point..... 

Mind you don't run out, might not be easy to replenish the stash at present......just imagine.....  😱

Atb

Darryl

Thanks Darryl. No worries about me running out of kits to build.... just yet! If I did run out of armour i'd just have to raid the pile of Games Workshop kits i've got 'hidden' for emergencies! 

On 4/11/2020 at 10:09 AM, M3talpig said:

Two weeks good god i need to get my bum in gear.....mine took about 3 months and i'm still looking at it with the view to doing a few more bits.

Lovely job looks suitably dirty and used and subtle weathering .....top job.

Many thanks. I tend to model in random spurts where I'll knock a few out in short order then none for ages! 

On 4/11/2020 at 7:23 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice build Steve,

Cheers Ozzy.

On 4/12/2020 at 1:17 PM, Bullbasket said:

Aye up Steve! Missed this when you first posted it. Nice build. The stowage looks good, and I'm glad to see that you did it as a British tank. Nice one.

John.

Aye up John. I always tend to do British Shermans mainly because I like the amount of variations in the markings and that I find US markings a bit dull! Really want to do a French one at some point though.

Regards

Steve 

• Like 2

Hi all

Complete newbie and as the name suggests, clueless. Lockdown got me started on a Airfix Spitfire and then ME 109. Now have the Tamiya British Sherman firefly and if I build and paint as per instructions, paintwork will be a bit boring. Looking for advise on paint colours for how to make the tracks look a bit more realistic and maybe even weathered. ( A big step up for me)

spacer.png

• Like 1