Airfix Lancaster BI or BIII?

fishplanebeer

Chris,

Sorry, I obviously confused my pneumatics with my hydraulics so you are absolutely correct on this, though still not sure which engine powered the mid-upper as all 4 seem to have had a particular role to play in powering the various systems on the Lanc.

Kind Regards

Colin.

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Well Hell's Bells, Eunice! I looked through that book but missed that. I have a PDF copy of the book on my 'puter and I guess I scrolled through too quickly.

49765778466_a52da338f6_b.jpg

@fishplanebeer  note the above looks to have Med Sea Grey codes,  compare to the red in the fin flash. 

I think they change from MSG to Red occurred with the change from A type to C type roundels. 

in this image of 88 Sq Bostons,  

Douglas_Boston_III_88_Sqn_RAF_at_Attlebr

the 2nd and 3rd plane has been fully repainted, red codes and C roundels, but the 1st and 4th have only had the blue done, hence odd fin flash and roundel, and MSG codes.

Also, a word on RAF codes,  very underappreciated just how non uniform they were.   

No official font, no specified code order,  (as in the way they read,XX-X, or X-XX, on either side) and many variations in in size and style,  meaning generic code sheets are often just not quite right.  Bomber codes tend to be more regular,  but once you start to look closely, the lack of uniformity quickly becomes apparent.....

as for photo posting.  You need a photo host.

If you can work out how to post on here, you can use a photo host. 

there are a various threads here on how to do this

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/15-faqs/

HTH

1 hour ago, fishplanebeer said:

Chris,

Sorry, I obviously confused my pneumatics with my hydraulics so you are absolutely correct on this, though still not sure which engine powered the mid-upper as all 4 seem to have had a particular role to play in powering the various systems on the Lanc.

Kind Regards

Colin.

https://airpages.ru/eng/uk/lan_02.shtml

Chris

Hello

Colin, no need to bother about the photo, your reference to the relevant book was more than enough. I already drew vector graphic codes, although I have yet to figure out how to make ink jet printed light gray letters visible on a black background. Here are dimensions of R5556 markings if anyone else wants to indulge in making DIY decals: it seems that A1 fuselage roundels are of 49'' diameter (standard Manchester size), and fin flashes are 24'' wide. Their standard height should be 27'', although it seems that on R5556 they are actually closer to 29''. A height of the squadron letters MK is 40'' and their stroke width is 7,5''. Individual aircraft letter C is 30'' tall with a stroke width of 6''. Red serials are standard 8'' tall. Cheers

Jure