This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

We've recently started work developing a new jig aimed at aligning wings and helping to ensure that each side is angled correctly.  The photos below show the first developments on the tail plane.  The jig will also aid the setting up of the main plane.

It is early days in the development of this jig and we are very much open to ideas and suggestions. The plane shown is the 1:72 Hawker Hector from A Model.

The initial development will be aimed at 1:72 but we intend to also produce it for 1:48 and possibly large scales.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ooh! I’ve got about a gazillion kits which this will be handy for. Expect an order from me when you get into production. :thumbsup:

Latest developments on the wing jig include altering the slots for the tail plane and vertical clamps to give increased variety of positioning and also a U shaped prop to help hold the fuselage in place and stop it bobbing up and down.  Uprights have been drawn and cut for the main plane part of the jig and seem satisfactory after a quick play.  Hopefully more thorough testing will also be successful and we will be able to get this into production before the end of August (2020!).

IMG_20200706_212728

That's looking good and I will definitely get one when it's available.

A couple of suggestions, if I may;

1. Would it be possible to extend the slots of the centre fuselage clamps so that a larger diameter can be accomodated. I know you are considering a larger jig for 1/48 scale but there is a wide range of fuselage sizes in 1/72.

2. Could a grid of calibration lines be added to all the triangular pieces to aid aligning the fuselage, tailplane and wings. Horizontal lines would match up to fuselage panel lines to check the centreline is on the vertical axis and also help check the wing/tailplane is horizontal if a straight edge is laid across the tips from one side to the other. Vertical lines would help to ensure that any sweepback/stagger is correct.

Hope this helps.

Steve

On 7/8/2020 at 7:17 PM, BritJet said:

A couple of suggestions, if I may;

1. Would it be possible to extend the slots of the centre fuselage clamps so that a larger diameter can be accomodated. I know you are considering a larger jig for 1/48 scale but there is a wide range of fuselage sizes in 1/72.

2. Could a grid of calibration lines be added to all the triangular pieces to aid aligning the fuselage, tailplane and wings. Horizontal lines would match up to fuselage panel lines to check the centreline is on the vertical axis and also help check the wing/tailplane is horizontal if a straight edge is laid across the tips from one side to the other. Vertical lines would help to ensure that any sweepback/stagger is correct.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks for the comments, Steve.  Regarding the fuselage capacity, the current design will take upto a 46mm width.  For info I've just calculated that a Hercules should have a width of just under 61mm.  I'll have a look to see if the design will accommodate an increase to 65mm.

Calibration lines on the uprights - took me a while to work it out but I can see where you are coming from and can see the use, so I'll apply them.  However, I need to get the main design finished and the required uprights rationalised as I seem to have generated enough to cause confusion and a storage issue!

Here's the latest work showing the main planes being fitted on 1:72 Hudson.  

IMG_20200717_141552.jpg

Front uprights get the dihedral matching, rear uprights (on the main plane) stop the wings rotating around the single spar.  The port wing was a tightish fit on the spar so stayed where it was put not really needing the rear upright. The starboard was loose and revealed the need for the neoprene to provide grip on the rear upright.

The basics of the design appear to work, once the Hudson wings have set I'll try it with a Lancaster and then a Wiking.  The latter will throw up issues as it's a big plane with a high wing.

Cheers

Andy

EBMA Hobby & Craft