Lockdown shelf of shame clearout - Clear!

Well I’ve got a few skeletons in the cupboard. They watch me from boxes on the mantelpiece in the study, and now that I’m home all the time, they are starting to get inside my head...

So I’m going to fix that! I don’t think anything here is worth a thread on its own, so I’m going to bundle the whole lot together. I started with the Italeri Albatros DIII, suspended because of the general awfulness of the kit (here).

So I have gathered the Others together in daylight:

581-A31-EC-009-A-49-CC-8-BEC-ED8-E1-C47-

The Airfix/Tomy  re-box Fieseler Storch, started here in February 2018, abandoned due to a short shot canopy and dreadful moulding.

Rareplanes Breda65, started here in March 2019, stopped when trying to replace yellow canopy.

Airfix BE2c, just stopped. 
Red Star/Emhar remould Mig-3, built the excellent Hobbyboss kit instead!

There are Others, but this will do to start.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 21

This actually started because I have used all my little plastic cartons for storing sub assemblies of in-progress builds. So last night I took a look at the top box in the stack, containing the Storch. Problem was, the windscreen portion of the canopy was short shot (top). So I had stuck the rest of the canopy together (terrible fit and glue disasters but let’s not go there!) and made myself a paper template (middle) and a thin packaging plastic part (bottom). This refused to fit nicely. 

So last night I took a piece of packing plastic, made a fold down the middle, cut a chunk out until it fitted over the cowling, cut the sides to fit and cut the top in a “v” to give an angle down from the top corners. Glue that on and then glue on a triangle on top. It was much easier to bodge it in place than doing it “properly”!

68915-C5-E-7-D89-42-DF-A9-C9-07-D801-B1-

I remember this kit being fun to build when I built it as a lad in the 1960s. This moulding is later, and is pretty poor. The main undercarriage struts will definitely need replacing, for one:

87-EF38-A5-D1-BE-407-A-8-CE8-270-D5268-E

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

The Storch has been reissued with the Vintage Classics branding. You’ll be pleased to know the undercarriage legs on my copy are even worse. :frantic:

You have stolen my joy!😰😰. This is a kit that I missed in my mis-spent youth and I was looking forward to the Vintage Classics re-box.  Now I know that if I buy one it’ll just wind up on the Shelf of Doom which has grown to be the Box-Room and Loft of Doom!😢😖😖. (You’ve saved me eight or nine quid and saved me months of indecisive faffing with it though, so you can’t be all bad).😉

Edited by stever219
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Now I know that if I buy one it’ll just wind up on the Shelf of Doom

Well, like Adrian, I expect I’ll have to re-engineer the parts. My copy will get built, because I like a challenge. :coolio:

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, stever219 said:

You have stolen my joy!

32 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

My copy will get built

Well, the Heller (which I have) and Academy (allegedly) kits are both much better than this one, so I could send you this one’s header card to look at while you build some superior plastic ;)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, the Heller (which I have) and Academy (allegedly) kits are both much better than this one, so I could send you this one’s header card to look at while you build some superior plastic ;)

I’ll probably end doing just that! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Adrian,

I too am tackling shelf of doomsters with an Italieri Ju 52 and a 1/48 Airfix Hurricane. 

I am pleased to see you 're engage with the Storch as I always had fond memories of that kit, and like Heather bought the reissue. 

I look forward to your progress, and hope to pick up some pointers to avoid mine ending up in the SoD 😬

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

tackling shelf of doomsters

When life gives you lemons...

16 minutes ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

finish the Airfix Demon/Hart.....

That will be part two, along with (shudder) a vac-form Vixen.

Meanwhile I am on a roll with the Breda. The curved flared exhaust pipes are made from a curved chunk of spare Airfix Wildcat folded wing:

398-A2013-3729-421-B-9862-6-A8-C5-BDB27-

475-A2865-F3-F4-4-FA7-AC7-B-82-B2-F37178

• Like 12

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I thought I’d better strike while the canopy gods were with me and I’ve done the Breda canopy too:

Shamelessly stealing borrowing taking inspiration from this.:ninja:

plenty of packaging blisters & random stuff around, and now I see it actually works.

There's hope for my little Fiat G.50! yay! :thanks:

• Like 1

Nice to see you back on these, the Breda is deffinately a great piece of workmanship and the Storch canopy is a brilliant result

Roger

• Thanks 1

Great project, I love the old Airfix Storck. I remember building one decades ago, it probably got blown up with fireworks or 'flown' from a bedroom window though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Masters said:

only built one

My second, first was the RCR kit, which was a nice short-run build. I’ve never got my hands on the Azur one, but I think I’m Breda’d out now...

54 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

learn from your example

Which one? The example set by piling up abandoned builds?? :whistle:

Well the Breda is wrapped up now, just need to tidy the 0.5” gun fairings and paint. I will mask out some white circles as a base for home made markings later. Propeller will be a clear disc and a spinner, not everyone’s favourite I know but it looks a bit lost without something up front:

EF1-CAA01-844-B-4-ACA-B52-A-F3-EDFB0-AA9

FBBCCBBF-8561-4982-940-D-5746-C94-F2934.

Now where did I put that Storch??...

• Like 14

I like the build of several subjects together... 

...it reminds me f something...🤔

Beautiful progress on the Breda and I like the Albatros, whether the kit isn't state of the art!

I'll be watching closely!!!

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Massimo said:

several subjects together

Sadly the theme isn’t “Ark Royal”, it’s “kits I lost interest in”. 

Having said that, doing them all together makes it more interesting (for me, at least)

• Haha 2

I wanted some white discs as background to the insignia, so I undercoated with Citadel Ceramite White with a bit of flow improver, used my Olfa circle cutter and a leather punch to make some masks, then went over the masks with another coat of white to seal the edges:

1-DA66117-762-A-4-D61-B685-5050107-A7-F6

• Like 6

I actually found a photo of the scheme I wanted to do, and the painting is mostly done:

218-B8-F31-C625-4-DE7-8337-4299-F366-A54

C8-C638-D3-74-B1-4-B28-9065-27360-DDE3-C

Need to touch up the upper surfaces and add some fading. I realise that the insignia are about 5mm too close to the wingtips, but I’m not going to change that now!

[Edit: I just had another look at the photo of the real thing here and it seems there is a lot of variation in wing insignia positions. The one I’m doing had them further out to the tip than the plan shows, so it’s OK. Phew!]

• Like 14