Lockdown shelf of shame clearout - Clear!

It is quite (disheartening /encouraging) to see you bring these gems from your shelf of doom, when I struggle to get anything like these results straight from my box of stash! 

That BE2c is gorgeous. 

Cheers

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a bit late in catching up with these, Adrian. Cracking results so far, especially with the BE. I have one in my 'stash-ette' (currently 4 items; no point in paying kit prices for insulation) which is waiting for interest to be rekindled.

The Airfix Demon is good to see, as I very nearly bought one recently (and still might...). I started to build one years ago which didn't get finished, and I seem to remember that the upper wing chord was rather narrower than that shown on the plans that I had. It will be very interesting to see how you get on with it. Lumsden and Thetford's 'On Silver Wings' has an excellent chapter on the RAF Demon with a good single-page set of plans - PM me if you want a copy.

20200511_123115

Jon

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jonners said:

PM me if you want a copy.

Thanks Jon. I already have the book - beautifully produced. I also have the Mushroom Models guide to the Hart family, although I have found that the plans in that need constant double-checking against photos to get the details right.

Regards,

Adrian

[Edit - I admire your stash discipline. I have got to the point where I am not buying Any More Models, although I did just pick up a nice cheap 1/72 Revell I-16 off ebay ready for the May Blitzbuild GB!]

• Like 2

Very nice Adrian - Za Rodinu*!

Regards,

Jason

*I don't want you to need your translator, Adrian: 'Za Rodinu' means 'For the Motherland!'

• Like 2

Hawker Demon. Ahhh yes - the ‘orrible, ‘ORRIBLE fabric effect. I tried filler overcoat, I tried sanding it down a little. I’ve now sanded it all off, all the while reflecting how tough the old Airfix silver plastic is:

F043-C524-AD30-434-B-8-CFE-1-F5-F01-C804

It still shows every trace, even though the surface is dead flat. If I turn the pieces round, the highlights and shadows shift too! Spooky.

Time for a spot of Halfords finest grey primer...

8-CA44681-B8-D0-461-C-B616-7282-B007-B4-

You can see how the wings were smooth despite the “memory” effect of the silver plastic.

Also in the shot - I’ve been following the Bristol Berkeley build from @Jonners and a trio of Edding 780s dropped through the letterbox today. I draw some lines on a scrap Venom wing and gave it a blast of primer. I will be comparing that and Solartrim strips...

• Like 7

I see that the paintpen lines look a bit lumpy, Adrian, though that might just be an effect of the photo.

I put a scrap plastic part - with the Berkeley it's an offcut from the donor O/400 wing - next to the piece that is about to be lined, and I draw on the scrap part to get the paint flowing before drawing each line on the subject part. One pass with the paint flowing is usually enough, guided by a straight-edged strip of 40 thou card for flexibility over curved surfaces; a second pass while the first line is still wet usually results in splodged paint and unnecessary vocabulary.

Although I usually put paintpen lines straight onto plastic then prime over the top, I also often put a second line over the primer for slightly more depth. It would be better if I primed every time before any lining so that I know the surface is smooth and because the primer takes the paintpen line better than the bare plastic, but I'm often too impatient! 

You will also find that occasionally the paint from the pen creeps under your straightedge if the pen nib gets too close to it. It's annoying, but it's quite easy to fix with fine (800 grit or finer) wet & dry once the paint has dried.

I'm no expert but I definitely find it preferable to other techniques that I've tried.

Jon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

If I turn the pieces round, the highlights and shadows shift too! Spooky.

Symptoms of demonic possession I'll wager!

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Jonners said:

creeps

I cut myself a 30thou card straight edge and bevelled the bottom edge inwards to keep it away from the ink after discovering the wicking effect (and the extra vocabulary) on the first (unshown) wing.

I will be trying this out some more. Haven’t quite decided whether to go with paint, Solartrim or nothing at all for this one yet.

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 2

Sorry @Jonners, this one has been done in Solartrim. As you can see from the paper, I had an accident or two - I won’t show you my hands! The end assembly of the pen came out. Maybe I was too enthusiastic in shaking and pumping. Anyhow, I sanded off all of the pen paint and I got going with the Solartrim. I will come back to the pen method and have another go when my hands are pink again!

54-AFB512-CB77-42-A7-A97-F-55-AB42-C2740

I am pleased to be making progress with the Demon. It has been hanging around for far too long!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 10

Oh dear. I've had the same thing happen with my paintpen a couple of times, but with less serious hand redecoration. I don't shake it and I've learned to be very gentle when pumping the nib. 

• Thanks 1

So here’s the result after a visit from Mr Halford. I’ve put it up against my old Airfix Gladiator refurb, which used Solartrim and Halfords grey primer too:

4505-D0-AE-935-A-4168-AA68-B13-D77-AC821

703428-C4-51-CE-425-E-9-CCE-F61-B88-EC82

The port wing is a just the tape as done in the post above with a rather generous couple of coats of primer over. This is what the Gladiator had, and I think it looks a little too stark. The starboard wing has further been sanded down with 1200 grit and lightly re-primed, which considerably reduces the effect. I think I really want something in between, so I will fiddle with the port wing next. This is all by way of being a testbed for the upper wing, which is in turn a testbed for the Fairey Long Range Monoplane.

• Like 4

Begging your indulgence, a light sand on the port wing with 800 grit and another coat of primer over the whole lot:

595-BE8-C1-A940-4433-85-F5-4776613-F61-F

9-FA77811-35-F6-4637-B8-C1-0-BCAA987-C7-

Lower starboard wing seems to have the best effect to me, but I’m rogered if I can see how I got there. Maybe it was a more circular sanding motion as opposed to lateral?

Top wing next...

• Like 6

So I’ve got the top wing done:

DFAB4170-ECF5-4-BD7-8-C95-F460-CEA22036.

I bought the “antique gold” Solartrim because it was the cheapest one I found, rather than white. But the gold one has been great, not least because it’s a different colour to the backing paper, so when you cut a long twisted 1/2mm swizzle of separated Solartrim and backing, you can see which one’s which!

And I’ve just used up my last drop of Halfords grey primer - just enough:

0-A2-CDE76-9327-4016-A10-D-B27-CAD331538

I’m pleased with that and, although there’s more experimentation to be done with both Solartrim+primer and paint pens, I’m going to use the flying surfaces as they are now on the build. This thread is called “Shelf of Shame Clearout” for a reason! I can always dig out another Demon for experiments from the stash...

• Like 12

Well I’ve got all the basics together:

7947-E382-5564-44-F6-B597-76734-CD75-F0-

I’ve done some of the detailing like the control horns but there’s more detail to be added, and I need to start fettling the interplane struts to actually fit in the holes and point in the right directions!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

worth the effort

Just a shame (mine!) it took me so long! I was thinking embossed plastic card over balsa cores and all sorts, and now I’m super enthused about Solartrim and primer and sanding, and the paint pen method (maybe in gloves this time :)). I can hardly wait to dig the next one out of the stash!

33 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

improvement

14 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

improvement

It makes me quite sad to see how Airfix spoiled so many of their moulds in the early 60s to fit in with the fashion for hills and valleys. Sandpaper is the answer!

• Like 2

It’s a work day but I couldn’t resist a little blast of Halfords aluminium over the top wing in the garden this afternoon:

733-BD4-E0-72-DC-471-A-A181-4-E5-C71-D64

I need to fill underneath around the lower wing join and then I can spray the rest of it.

• Like 9