Lockdown shelf of shame clearout - Clear!

Bit more progress today:

CE489-E74-F42-C-4789-8263-8-DAD1-FCDE72-
The Potts oil cooler was painstakingly fashioned from a stack of carefully shaped 5 thou plastic card segments separated by spacers and threaded onto two lengths of stretched sprue. I touched it with the Tamiya extra thin brush and it instantly turned into a blob of plastic - I will just dunk it in Future next time. I’m wondering if my gunsight will survive upper wings and rigging too.

The chrome finish is super-shiny and very nice, but does not like being handled, despite the whole model having had a coat of Future. I’m guessing I must have missed a couple of spots.

Now I’m off to see if any of my six other Demons have usable decals...

• Like 9

Well my maths was a bit off. I have six other demons but one is an AZ Hart fighter and another is the Aeroclub 1/48. From the four remaining Airfix Demons I have zero sets of usable decals. So, scan and overtrace the existing ones using a combo of PowerPoint and Word (yep, Stone Age), print onto decal sheet, cut them out and see how they play with Extradecal inter-war roundels:

0-EFA9348-D2-A4-48-F5-8065-56196-C7-CE00

The overwing pattern needs a bit of trimming to line up with the roundel but the fuselage one looks OK. I will see how this lot goes and then do the serials on clear backgrounds.

46 minutes ago, CedB said:

that gunsight must be tiny!

Thanks Ced! But not so tiny that I didn’t manage to completely destroy it when I inadvertently rested the upper wing on the fuselage to see how it looked. Doh! Well, they say practice makes perfect...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

The overwing pattern needs a bit of trimming to line up with the roundel but the fuselage one looks OK. I will see how this lot goes and then do the serials on clear backgrounds.

Can you not just print the pattern with a square end and just apply the roundels over it? Or is supposed to have a gap between the two I’m not noticing?*

*It wouldn’t be the first time I missed something completely obvious today.

• Thanks 1

There is meant to to be a constant width silver border between roundel and pattern. Looks lovely but it’s a pain in the proverbial.

2 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

*It wouldn’t be the first time I missed something completely obvious today.

I have days like that... :)

• Like 1

Well, wings are on:

6-E824422-7-AB9-4-B29-B53-F-D7-ACC17-E87

I used 30 thou plastic rod for the cabane struts because the kit ones were a bit short. Exhausts just push fitted to check clearance round the struts for now. As you can see, the underwing serials need a bit of love before I can call them done. Rigging will be black EZLine and superglue blobs. I think my current bottle is telling me to throw it away and start another one - I will take the hint. I need to do something about the propeller and decide whether I can salvage the kit's awful WWI-style wheels. Interestingly (hmmm) - I was checking the splay against the lines on my cutting mat - the interplane struts are at exactly 60 degrees to the wing.

• Like 5

Well it’s done:

52-CF7-B83-81-C8-4-BC8-90-DF-3047-B3-C93

830-B4-E83-1047-42-A1-A510-E4-E55-D310-F

AA1-BD4-AF-3757-474-F-9-EFA-37-E6-D239-C

E48950-F5-D1-A5-46-C7-AAC4-4-C5-D8-B9-EB

F7-FF3-AF0-D1-C1-4285-BF23-C5-DF1226-E88

It’s very much a kit of its time, not bad for the early 60s. I’m frustrated by its over-simplification, but also by my own inability to make it much better. I have learned a lot on this one though, so I will be resurrecting the Fairey Long Range Monoplane Build. And my Shelf of Shame is now clear!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

[edited for better photos]

• Like 22

13 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I will be resurrecting the Fairey Long Range Monoplane Build.

And about time too! 

Can I suggest you don’t start by making yet another completely new fuselage for no apparent reason! 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Can I suggest you don’t start by making yet another completely new fuselage for no apparent reason

Ow! Who threw that shoe?

I’ll try not to...

:)

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A stunning result, just shows what can be achieved with a little time, patients and a lot of skill!

Stay safe            Roger

• Thanks 1

Lovely work on the Demon. 60s kit or not the end result is great.

Isn’t that big a shelf after all. Must crack on with my wip the Stuka, the Schneider, and the JI are pretty close to the door. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1