Lockdown shelf of shame clearout - Clear!

Right then, got an Airfix Hudson in the “Kit you built as a kid” GB and the BE2c is done. So let’s find something else from the shelf of doom to go with the MiG:

23-D28-F7-B-606-B-47-E0-AA6-D-87-DEBCC1-

Spitfire? Nope:
951-B482-E-155-E-4-B69-8051-86-D6-FB7-E3

Spitfire box with the Airfix Demon in it. I have seven in the stash. And four of the Airfix Hart, the kit that was modified to make the Demon. Why? Maybe I expect that one day I will buy an accurate one! The Airfix Demon isn’t very accurate - it’s too short, too narrow, the fin is a strange shape and it’s a very crude kit overall with terribly overdone fabric effect on the flying surfaces. Airfix went through their range in the early 1960s and re-engraved all their kits of fabric covered planes with exaggerated hills and valleys, even the Anson, which didn’t have fabric wings!

I had a lot of fun detailing the interior but the wings brought me to a shuddering halt:

89-FF084-A-C84-E-4-D55-AD0-A-9689377-ACA

I made a new tail fin and a silicon mould but haven’t addressed the wings or tailplane.So my next challenge is to finish this before I can go on to much better Hawker Hart family kits from AModel, AZ and Aeroclub. Oh, and another six Demons from Airfix...

• Like 14

17 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

…it looks like a BE2c, and that’s good enough for me. 

Superb Adrian, I'd be proud of that :) 

I have a WNW Camel in the stash waiting for me to be good enough to take it on. I think I'm dangerously close to the right hand side of Jamie's chart so I've bookmarked a lot of your tips and techniques to try on that. Thanks Adrian, much appreciated.

On to the next… oooh, a Demon… :popcorn:

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

5-DE96-F41-E75-B-4522-AD2-A-9-E03-E031-D
416-B4-E20-89-A8-4980-B26-F-31-D557-DA84

B23-C0399-B6-F9-4-DF5-9996-088-B913-B5-B

E9-CDCA41-5-D20-4-CCC-8-F89-02-E9-D83317

9-F5075-C2-2-A89-4644-B518-5-EB52780-B8-

They're all good, but this one's my favourite!!!!

Superb modelling and another gem from an old kit!!!

Now let's see what's next!!!!

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for all the positive comments. I’m very touched. The BE2c is “new” Airfix (2016) and is a nice kit, albeit quite chunky.

Meanwhile, the MiG is getting some love, or at least some cockpit masking:

392-CF6-DA-5500-405-D-BCD6-30-FF8-F345-C

• Like 8

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

The BE2c is “new” Airfix (2016) and is a nice kit, albeit quite chunky.

First time I have ever seen BE2 and chunky in the same sentence!

AW

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

The BE2c is “new” Airfix (2016)

I thought I had one of these in stock, but after checking last night, found I was {probably) mistaken so have ordered one from our local auction site, good price too, always helps. :) When it arrives. no doubt I'll find I've got two of them. :( & all thanks to a splendid build from @AdrianMF 👍

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Yes the Be is making me want to dust off my BE12. But since I have kind of started a Buffalo, a Polikarpov and a Moskito, maybe later in the year.

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2020 at 11:38 PM, AdrianMF said:

Spitfire box with the Airfix Demon in it. I have seven in the stash

I think the lockdown's getting to him lads. One Spitfire box is understandable but doing that to seven of them, well, it's a bit mad...

18 hours ago, Massimo said:

Superb modelling and another gem from an old kit!!!

Agreed. A phenomenally good-looking piece of work Adrian - the colouration just exquisite.

• Haha 2

Latest work project is out for review so it’s back to the bench! Although I will be painting the MiG white, I’m giving it a quick undercoat of green to get something over the bare plastic:

639700-A3-7-EB0-4-AF0-9-AAF-BC331-F141-B

I managed to find the sweet spot - dilute enough to brush smoothly but not so diluted that it beads up on the raw plastic.

• Like 2

I didn’t fancy the winter colour scheme from the kit so I went with the winter scheme from the Hobbyboss kit. The decals are a bit transparent and the white is massively out of register. Didn’t matter over white but underneath I used some Techmod aftermarket decals. The big arrow decal was never going to settle over all the bumps, steps and changing curvatures, so I masked and painted it with surprisingly little touch up required:

7179-D971-A4-BB-428-D-A70-F-63-C48765-A0

A also have a spare set of exhausts that I carefully moved over from when I did the Hobbyboss kit. But:

D0-ED18-AC-EA7-F-4564-AF9-B-FE262-B22-A2

Dude, where’s my exhausts??

• Like 5

Hmm, apparently past me thought future me could rustle up something better, so threw the kit ones away without leaving a note. So present me has had to make something:

7030-A15-B-B213-49-A0-A200-2594-A243-FE5
Present me would like a quiet and serious word with past me, but he isn’t here any more...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Well it’s getting there:

6-F428616-B958-4630-8-E1-D-42-A996-A95-B

774-F4429-00-D5-4-DE8-BA67-DC108-FAA8-DC

0-DFC51-BF-1-B05-471-B-8-FBE-24-A746-D2-

It needs a pitot tube, some slats (drawn on), ideally some rocket rails, the aerial could quite possibly get removed and a light weathering (delivery miles only) and matt varnish. It’s not the most accurate MiG out there in 1/72 (Hobbyboss!) but it’s been a joy to make.

The biggest problem to me is the shortness of the sliding canopy section. I’ve tried to lengthen its appearance by hinting at the transparent rear section, and maybe I could have just done it open. Hey-ho

• Like 9

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Hmm, apparently past me thought future me could rustle up something better, so threw the kit ones away without leaving a note. So present me has had to make something:

7030-A15-B-B213-49-A0-A200-2594-A243-FE5
Present me would like a quiet and serious word with past me, but he isn’t here any more...

Depending on you preferred brand of science fiction/fantasy or actual physics ( I’m currently trying to get my head around 12 dimensional string theory) this is either totally possible or will cause the total destruction of the universe (multiverse) I think I’ll Stick with Douglas Adams version; to paraphrase..

Ring ring ‘ hello Arthur Dent this is Arthur dent don’t hang up’ line goes dead

‘What happened?’ He hung up.

Temporal causality, who needs it!!!

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 4

Removing the aerial was easy, drawing on the slats was a doddle, making the pilot was mildly fiddly and making the rocket rails was a pain!

2-AE49-AA1-0059-4-B75-A3-B0-8175-BF71-EB

BBAC8-F8-D-BCA2-40-C6-A34-D-34681-A748-C
Next time I will stick the rails to some tape first to hold them in place while I’m sticking - 20 thou square strip rails and curved ribs from an Airfix Hampden bomb door.

• Like 4

Will do matt varnish tomorrow when the wash has cured a bit. Meanwhile, here it is:

581-E283-C-EBBE-4-FD5-A643-B1-B4-E8189-B

4-CFE12-C0-27-C5-47-F8-85-E5-90-C73-DA07

765-A603-D-85-CC-4-DAA-BAF9-0111-F32-AAC

842-A6-D7-D-A5-AA-4-C56-9-CB8-352-D4-AE2

B5672349-2-A03-4-EF9-8-EEE-79-EEBE36-BEB

If you put it next to the Hobbyboss one you really start to see it’s shortcomings, so it’s a solo outing!

That completes my first four from the shelf of shame. I need to get on with a couple of GBs but I should be creeping along with the Demon.

[EDIT: BTW just seen these photos on PC not phone. It looks nothing like that messy in real life. I think the camera is having issues shooting a white model on a white background in poor lighting... Will take some pics in daylight after varnishing]

• Like 9

a Nice looking Mig Adrian.

What does the patriotic slogan say?  Looks like “for national goalkeeper” 🤡

AW 

• Thanks 1

Very nice job on the MiG-3, Adrian, and your translation is correct! I do know that if I ever meet my former self (especially say from 30 or so years ago), I'm going to punch him in the face - he's got a lot to answer for!

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1