How to deal with vinyl tracks?

Adam Poultney

How to deal with vinyl tracks? Not done any tank kits other than Wh40K ones (questionably assembly by younger me of course) and never dealt with vinyl tracks before, I don't know the first thing about using them. 

I'm looking at maybe getting Trumpeter's 1/72 Stug III Ausf.B, C or D. I've absolutely fallen in love with that tank playing way thunder, would really like to build one. 

Looks like not many guys like them.

Never done anything in :72, but my vinyl tracks (Tamiya :35) in IS-3, IS-2, and some others worked OK.

It is so easy, to say - spend more money on Fruile, plenty of mulla in your pocket :-)

Older production - you have to connect with nails or rivets :-))

Most of US stuff had rather tight (no sagging) tracks, so most of those rubbery tracks should work.

If you should have any sagging btw wheels, superglue them at 11 and 2PM, if you know, what I mean.

That should keep part of that track "a bit bent".

Hope, this helped you a bit.

Zig

Why not try some of the wargame 28mm / 1:56 scale kits (nominally same scale as WH40K) from the likes of Rubicon?

They are really nicely detailed but, like WH, are simplified construction. So hard plastic tracks moulded with some wheels attached, for example. Often come with multi variant options in the box.

15 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

Why not try some of the wargame 28mm / 1:56 scale kits (nominally same scale as WH40K) from the likes of Rubicon?

Because I want a Stugiii in 1/72 scale, 1/48 would be acceptable also. 

36 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

1/48 would be acceptable also. 

the only available option is the Tamiya kit, which comes with styrene link and length track.

see https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/48/tamiya/tam32525.htm

Try Plaza Japan,  they have most if the Tamiya 1/48th armour range at about £12, and shipping is reasonable.

Tamiya 1/48 are widely available in the UK and EU too, without the long shipping times and possibility of being charged import VAT - not forgetting that Royal Mail charge about £9 on top for handling customs charges.  The £15 limit for VAT includes the shipping cost (under £15 total you won't be charged).  That makes it more worthwhile to order multiple items.  While this increases the cost of being charged the 25% it spreads out the effect of the handling charge, which is flat-rate.

In the UK, Tamiya 1/48 tank kits are typically £19-23 but you can usually find them a bit cheaper if you shop around.  I notice that Model Hobbies currently have 2 of the 3 Tamya Stug kits for £21-odd.  Other vendors are available...............  Nice little kits.  In the Stug line they do an Ausf D and 2 Ausf G's, with and without Schurzen.

I have a spare Tamiya Ausf G kit with the schurzen and a bunch of after-market parts I was going to put on eBay, but Troy Smith currently has first refusal on my 1/48 surplus list.

4 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

The £15 limit for VAT includes the shipping cost

it doesn't as far as I understand it.   

Over £15  goods, and then the cost of shipping is included in the VAT amount.   But shipping not counted under £15. 

Not good now the pound is low for ordering from abroad though.   @Adam Poultney  cheapest Tamiya Stug III I found was on ebay, from Hong Kong,  about £14 +£6 shipping 

keep an eye on ebay, as they can be got cheaper if you wait. 

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Not good now the pound is low for ordering from abroad though.   @Adam Poultney  cheapest Tamiya Stug III I found was on ebay, from Hong Kong,  about £14 +£6 shipping 

keep an eye on ebay, as they can be got cheaper if you wait. 

I don't know if you've seen my atrocious level of spending on V Force models, but the price of kits is probably a lot lower than it should be on my priorities, considering I'm working a minimum wage job and still in college... Oh well, I enjoy modelling. I saw from Hannants the kits are about  £24, but given the much better shipping times I'd rather pay the extra from Hannants, it can go on another order so I'm not specifically paying for shipping on the kit, I put in a decent amount of orders from them anyway- and with the current Covid situation supporting probably the best model supplier in the UK isn't something I mind spending a little extra to do.

• Like 1