Fletcher FU24 950 - Unicraft 1/48

Finally managed to get this one done (or my version of done).  It's a resin kit from Unicraft where 'some modelling skills are an advantage'.   Decals are from Oldmodeldecals.com in NZ (who have plenty of other schemes for this A/C). 

DSC02685

DSC02687

DSC02689

• Like 26

Beautiful work Ian, that’s brought a much-needed smile to my face. Bravo! I’m so glad to see one of these completed. One day I’ll be in a position to get the kit.

I didn’t expect to see a cover on the hopper opening. Did you find a photo of one?

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, k5054nz said:

didn’t expect to see a cover on the hopper opening

Shhhhh. Artistic license - forgot to cut the hole and didn't relish dust all through the cockpit. 😛

• Haha 1

I learned to fly in New Zealand and no matter how low I flew when cross-country there was always one of these underneath me!!! Very skilled pilots and an interesting machine. Your model captures the look of the real thing perfectly!

Chris

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

muffled cursing along the way

Yes - stern words were required from time to time. I sort of knew what I was in for upon box opening - I took out at least a third of the fuselage resin (I weighed it before/after) from the inside with an angle grinder - ie a full on tradies power tool. Needed to make room for cockpit interior, lead in the nose and to get rid of excess weight behind CofG.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lovely job, and you've got the runway length about right as well :lol:

There's one of these kits for sale locally and I've been thinking of getting it. I've seen the the planes may times over the years; Wanganui isn't too far up the road.  It's something a bit out of the ordinary.

Well done :thumbsup:

Cheers

Gaz

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, kiwitrogg said:

There's one of these kits for sale locally and I've been thinking of getting it

Gaz -  are you on the "Fletcher FU24 & PAC Cresco Fans" Facebook group? Lot's of Kiwis there and you'll get a bit more of an idea of the kit K5054NZ up above has a production line going of the 1:72 version.  Below is what comes in the 1:48 kit and this is after I have cleaned it up a bit (click on the photo and you'll go to a Flickr album of the build)  

DSC02234

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the links, I don't do Facebook but I can get some access to that group.  Looks like there are some local aviation legends on there, and a couple of good videos to finish watching as well.  I'll be visiting again in the future.

The kit looks typical resin, a painful but necessary evil if you want the finished article.  At least it's smaller than the VC10 I did a couple of years ago, and the Belfast I've got on the SofD at the mo.......1/48 should be manageable (hopefully).

I'll have to mull this one over for a bit. I'm on a rum of armour subjects at the mo :)

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1