Bubbletop Pt 3 - Spitfire 22

My third build in this groupbuild is an F.22.

This is using the Airfix 1/48 Mk.22 kit.   This kit was, in my opinion, the best thing that Airfix ever did in the company's original life.  When it was released in 1996, this kit was a revelation.  Airfix had put so much thought into the engineering that they could also release a second boxing depicting a Seafire FR.47.  

Nearly a quarter of a century later, the kit still stands comparison with the best of modern kits - not just thse from Airfix!

spacer.png

I should really be building from The Stash.    About fifteen years ago, Hannants were offering some kits in what Eduard would nowadays term "overtrees" form.  The kits were bagged with no instructions or decals and were offered for 5 quid each!  I bought half a dozen.  Three of them are still in The Stash somewhere, but can I find them?!?!?!   I can not:fraidnot:  :banghead: 

Therefore, this is the latest release from Airfix.  I shall be depicting the boxart option. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

hey arn't you meant to be finishing some builds somewhere else!!! :fight:

He probably has and we're about to be treated to a massive update plus gallery photos ;) 

• Haha 1

First step is to build the wings. 

spacer.png

And then move onto the cockpit.

spacer.png

A lot of stupidity went on here.  I sprayed the cockpit interior and then promptly lost the fuselage halves.  Couldn't find them anywhere!!!  :angry:  :frantic:  

I then found the overtrees kits in The Satsh and robbed the fuselage halves from one of them, which explains the darker grey plastic.

spacer.png

At this point I found the missing fuselage halves...   :wall:  

• Haha 1

The colour scheme is High Speed Silver, not natural metal.  HSS was an aluminium paint, which tended to fade quickly to a semi-matt finish.   I used aluminium auto paint.

spacer.png

And to break up the finish slightly, I highlighted some of the panel lines with a very light spray of Alclad dark aluminium.

spacer.png

• Like 5

At this rate there will be more Mk 22 in this GB than were actually built by Supermarine!😁

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2020 at 4:33 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

A lot of stupidity went on here.  I sprayed the cockpit interior and then promptly lost the fuselage halves.  Couldn't find them anywhere!!!  :angry:  :frantic:  

Didn't realise interior grey green was such a good camouflage colour! 

On 7/5/2020 at 4:33 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I then found the overtrees kits in The Satsh and robbed the fuselage halves from one of them, which explains the darker grey plastic.

At this point I found the missing fuselage halves...   :wall:  

So now this is a double-build, right? :D 

W.W.E.M.D ;) Oh, erm...

• Haha 2