Bubbletop Pt 1 - Spitfire XVI

My first entry into this groupbuild is a 1/48 Eduard Mk.XVI

spacer.png

Both markings options provide choices of aircraft that entered one of the Cooper Air Races.  That's interesting, because another of my choices for this GB also does.

Nevertheless, I shall be ignoring those choices and going for an aircraft from 631 Sqn based at RAF Llanbedr in 1947.

• Like 9

I thought I had posted the sprue shots.  But obviously not.  Time to rectify that.

It is a typical Eduard offering.  Thet have produced a number of different sprues for their spitfire series, which seem to be interchangeable.  I would imagine any new kits are simply mix and match from a collection.   This has the major advantage that once you have built one, the others won't hold any surprises.  So I know, this is going to need some trimming at the wing roots. :)   

spacer.png

The wing parts represent the Type e wing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Again, just to be contrary I built the wings first.

spacer.png

The seat harness is provided as a decal and works rather well.   I used a Yahu instrument panel.

spacer.png

spacer.png

In my opinion the exhaust stacks are over-engineered.  Each stack has four parts.  I reckon they could have used two and made assembly a lot easier.

spacer.png

• Like 3

A lot of people think that the thing that distinguished the Spitire IX and Spitire XVI was the cutdown fuselage on the XVI.   Not so.  Late IXs had a cutdown fuselage while early XVIs had a full fuselage.

The difference was actually in the engine.  The IX had a Rolls-Royce Merlin while the XVI had a Packard V-1650, the "Packard Merlin".

The Packard engine was very slightly taller than the R-R one, so the upper cowling of the XVI was bulged in comparison to the IX.

spacer.png

As predicted, the wing roots needed a bit of fettling.  Nothing to be concerned about. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Primed with my usual grey plastic auto primer.

spacer.png

And then sprayed with Xtracrylis XA1006 Ocean Grey.

spacer.png

The camouflage is masked using, in part, a photocopy of the Airfix Spitfire XIV instructions. 

spacer.png

Dark green sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1001.  The undersurfaces have been sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1003 Medium Sea Grey.  Fuselage band from Lidfecolor UA539.

spacer.png

And then the wing leading edges were masked off, sealed with a coat of clrar acrylic varnish to prevent paint creep and then carefully sprayed with Fiat Broom Yellow from an auto paint rattle can.

spacer.png

• Like 6