Hurricane I (Trop.) Royal Navy Desert Fighter Flight

On 20.11.1941 Lt P N Charlton flying Hawker Hurricane I (Trop.) W9327 OL*W of the Royal Navy Desert Fighter Flight intercepted and destroyed three Ju87s.  Later in the same flight Charlton was hot down by a 'friendly' Tomahawk, later awarded DFC by RAF.

This is my representation of Charlton Hurricane. 

I must thank  and both @Beard and @tonyot for their help with the general appearance of this aircraft.

Kit is the Airfix 1/48 Hurricane MkI(Trop.) boxing, paint is Xtracrylics, decals came from the kit or from Xtradecal generic set, the Squadron codes were sprayed using templates I made.

I hope you like these rather cruel photographs..

49753821191_2ef67748ae_b.jpg

49753821886_c6b5c2d740_b.jpg

49753289358_b152ff2d56_b.jpg

49753822271_d98e4e1e0a_b.jpg

49753821381_b48a2116e5_b.jpg

49754159637_088a0365f4_b.jpg

On the shelf with Sea Hurricanes and a Martlet MkII

49754159207_44a66335e6_b.jpg

Thanks for looking in..

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

Very nice indeed,...... you`ve done a cracking job on this one mate and it fits in well with the rest of the collection.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Beard said:

That looks very smart but what on earth did I do to help?

Because you built SLt Fells Hurricane, which led me to look into Charlton’s Hurricane..  Cheers Mate..

• Like 1

it's a great bit of research, but I suspect you have used the Rotol spinner backplate added onto the DH spinner in error..

I think the instructions are not that clear, and i have seen DH blades stuck onto the Rotol spinner as well..... they are not 'keyed' to prevent this happening.

Always enjoy the back stories on your builds.

cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

it's a great bit of research, but I suspect you have used the Rotol spinner backplate added onto the DH spinner in error..

I think the instructions are not that clear, and i have seen DH blades stuck onto the Rotol spinner as well..... they are not 'keyed' to prevent this happening.

Thanks for your kind comment Troy.

That explains it.  I had to do a bit of fettling to get the back plate to fit at all, which is unusual for that kit.  You would think having built three in the past I would have spotted it.  Though I did look to see if there was another back plate in the box and didn’t see it.  

You will see that I took note of you previous comments about the step and handhold.  If you look really closely I did add the handle to the bottom of the step..

19 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Because you built SLt Fells Hurricane, which led me to look into Charlton’s Hurricane..  Cheers Mate..

Well, my one wasn't anywhere near as nice as yours.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At Least, I found your post !!

My turn to thank you Grey !!

I think about V7816 OL-V or Z4560 OL-A

Great job on your Hurricane and thank again for sharing a pic !!

Sincerely.

CC

• 8 months later...

Hello Grey,

It's pretty hard to find informations about RNDFF...

I just see 3 pics so far and only one bear the Sqdn codes OL....

So I consider not to use it...

Any advices ??

I finally choose OL A Z4245

Sincerely.

CC

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Grey,

It's pretty hard to find informations about RNDFF...

I just see 3 pics so far and only one bear the Sqdn codes OL....

So I consider not to use it...

Any advices ??

I finally choose OL A Z4245

Sincerely.

CC

CC I got good advice and guidance from @tonyot for this aircraft specifically and I took general Hurricane advice from @Troy Smith.

I am currently working on a Skua flown by Cdr JM Bruen using a lot of input from @iang  and a BoB Hurricane flown by SLt DM Jeram using input from @JackG both are a little bit ‘What if’ as photos of either aircraft don’t seen to exist, indeed for the Hurricane although I know the Squadron code and letter I do not have a serial.  

Ask the questions you want to ask and use the collective brain of the forum, someone in the forum will give you info and send you on the right track..

• Thanks 1