AZ Model Me 109G in 1/72

Hi everyone

This is the AZ Model Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6. I found it a bit of a fiddly build, especially having just done the new Tamiya 1/72 Gustav. Shape appears to be a bit out too, with the engine cowling not being deep enough, so the nose looks too skinny. But the kit does come with a host of alternative parts so you can build other versions if you want. I don't think I'll be doing another one, though.

It's finished in the markings of JG 27 on defensive operations over Germany in 1944. 

Thanks for looking, and keep well all!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by IanC
  • Like 30

In spite of the kit's fiddly nature, the finished result is quite nice. You can be quite proud of that one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VG 33 said:

Hi

This is very nice ... but this is JG27 instead of 26.😀

Cheers.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. Yes, you're right, of course. Slip of the quill... I was going to use the Stab markings provided in the kit, but chose instead a more anonymous 'White 10'. 

2 hours ago, Bangor Lad said:

Great build. Despite the kit's failings around the shape of the nose, you've done an excellent job of this kit. Fantastic finish by the way. What paints did you use?

Cheers

Thanks. I used these:

spacer.png

I love the way Vallejo paints spray. Perhaps not as good as Gunze Mr Hobby, but then they're not quite so hazardous to health either. I put them over a primer coat of Tamiya dark grey.  I gently polished the paint before the decals went on and then sprayed a couple of coats of W&N satin varnish over everything at the end. Weathering was done with pastels, oils and a 2B pencil.

• Like 3

A very lovely build, clean paintwork and looking sharp overall. Knowingly or not, your oil cooler placement is one of the things that is helping hide the skinny nose issue.

Despite the nose issue I'm a big fan of these AZ kits, I find them great in detail and buildability. I have no doubt the Tamiya is in its own league (I've built the 1/48 and have the 1/72 in stash) but aside from the much greater spread of options, you can get the multipack of 3x AZ 109s for less than a single Tamiya so they have their place.

Incidentally, the AZ Erla canopies should fit the Tamiya kit with only a tiny bit of work, as will the spare tall tails, so if you have a well stocked spares box you can turn the Tamiya into a G-14.

If you are tempted by the AZ again, I have rather obsessively studied the nose shape issues ("too skinny" is barely scratching the surface) and have catalogued options for dealing with it ranging from quick and dirty tricks to help hide it all the way to major kit surgery.

• Like 5

My understanding was that the problem was caused by AZ getting the wing incidence wrong, so that the leading edge of the wing sits too high on the fuselage leading to too shallow a nose.  I cut through the fuselage along the front part of the wing fairing and along a panel line forward, then forced it apart to improve the general look.  This certainly counts as major surgery!  However having "fixed" the problem I haven't actually made the kit, nor compared it with the superior Fine Moulds G-10 also unmade in my collection.   I think it would have been easier to cut the wing out and reposition it by building the fuselage sides up rather than forcing it apart.  This would have made it easier to sort out the cockpit, but that's not part of the aircraft that really interests me anyway.

PS  Corrected for embarrassing typo.  Thank you Pete in Lincs!  But I did have the spellchecker on and it didn't object.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

My understanding was that the problem was caused by AZ getting the wing incidence wrong, so that the leading edge of the wing sits too high on the fuselage leading to too shallow a nose.  I cut through the fuselage along the front part of the wing fairing and along a panel line forward, then forced it apart to improve the general look.  This certainly counts as major surgery!  However having "fixed" the problem I haven't actually made the kit, nor compared it with the superior Fine Moulds G-10 also unmade in my collection.   I think it would have been easier to cut the wing out and reposition it by building the fuselage sides up rather than forcing it apart.  This would have made it easier to sort out the cockpit, but that's not part of the aircraft that really interests me anyway.

PS  Corrected for embarrassing typo.  Thank you Pete in Lincs!  But I did have the spellchecker on and it didn't object.

My understanding is that the Fine Molds kit is slighty too short. From looking at pictures of builds, it looks excellent overall but the shortness shows in the oil tank behind the spinner, with too sharp a downward kink at the top of the cowling here.

In my opinion the Zvezda F-2 and the Tamiya G-6 are the only ones to really capture the 109 nose shape in 1/72.

You are almost certainly right about the wing incidence but this is not the main issue for me. The nose on the AZ 109Gs is not just too skinny, it's in the wrong place! See how the oil radiator does not line up with the panel lines forward and aft of it but leaves a gap. There is also an exaggerated gap between the wing leading edge and the aft of the exhaust stacks. Now, start measuring the plane from the rudder post going forward, everything is spot on up to and including the cockpit, windscreen and wing leading edge. But the vertical panel line that crosses the gun breech bulges is too far forward, and therefore so is the entire cowling in front of it and all the associated details, exhaust stacks, supercharger intake etc. That's much bigger surgery even than spreading the nose and wings.

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Vlad said:

In my opinion the Zvezda F-2 and the Tamiya G-6 are the only ones to really capture the 109 nose shape in 1/72.

I agree. I'm building the Revell boxing of the Zvezda F-2 at the moment, and it looks right. And the Tamiya kit is quite superb. I hope you don't mind if I post a shot of mine:

spacer.png

I admire those with the skills to perform major surgery on the AZ 109 to get it to look right, but I think if I build another Gustav it'll have to be Tamiya again. However, for the money they charge they could at least have included the 20mm cannon pods! 

• Like 3

I have to add my voice to the others who already said it, the paint job on your 109G is lovely! The decals also look fantastic, as if they've been painted, no sheen or film at all. And a nice markings choice - I always enjoy seeing those "unknown warriors of the sky" more than some of the prominent aces.

Shame about the nose shape issue of the kit, as everything aft of the MG131 fairing bulges looks spot on, but the nose does look a bit.. off.

I was seriously considering getting the AZ 109G6 pack, even as a donor for Tamiya conversions (would love to build a late G6 with Erla Haube and the short tail in service in the Bulgarian VnVV) but that plus 2x Tamiya kits is quite expensive, and I'm already struggling to accurise two kits.

There's a huge number of 109s that AZ offer - do the all suffer from the same issue? I've read through a number of topics here and I get that all F and early G marks do - what of the latter Gs, G-14AS, G-10s, the K-4… they also have a wrong nose shape?

I can't find any of the Fine Molds kits anymore, price aside.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IanC said:

I agree. I'm building the Revell boxing of the Zvezda F-2 at the moment, and it looks right. And the Tamiya kit is quite superb. I hope you don't mind if I post a shot of mine:

spacer.png

I admire those with the skills to perform major surgery on the AZ 109 to get it to look right, but I think if I build another Gustav it'll have to be Tamiya again. However, for the money they charge they could at least have included the 20mm cannon pods! 

Looks fantastic as well, can only hope mine turns out as nice 🙂 they are very expensive though... even for what they are. Eduard usually gives you photo-etch and cut mask for less (still waiting for them to do a 1/72 109). I need to get a Zvezda F-2 at some point, at least those are cheap as well!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IanC said:

Thanks. I used these:

spacer.png

I love the way Vallejo paints spray. Perhaps not as good as Gunze Mr Hobby, but then they're not quite so hazardous to health either. I put them over a primer coat of Tamiya dark grey.  I gently polished the paint before the decals went on and then sprayed a couple of coats of W&N satin varnish over everything at the end. Weathering was done with pastels, oils and a 2B pencil.

That's encouraging, Ian. I recently bought this set but not used it yet. I do like Vallejo paints but I've not used them to do a mottled Luftwaffe scheme yet.

Thanks for the really encouraging reply.

• Like 1

I have to agree with all the comments about the AZ kit. I bought quite a few but only built 2 before deciding I just didn't like them to build or the way they looked. Having said all that there is nothing not to like about the way you have finished this kit off. It's a very fine example of 1/72 scale Luftwaffe painting and finishing and your Tamiya 109 is a beauty too.

Duncan B

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

I have to add my voice to the others who already said it, the paint job on your 109G is lovely! The decals also look fantastic, as if they've been painted, no sheen or film at all. And a nice markings choice - I always enjoy seeing those "unknown warriors of the sky" more than some of the prominent aces.

Many thanks. Yes, I try to avoid the well-known aces when choosing a subject for a Luftwaffe fighter build. I like to go for something more generic, which then allows a degree of artistic licence. This one is perhaps more representative of the situation at that stage of the war - an aircraft issued to an under-trained new pilot who counted himself lucky if he could take off and land without pranging it!