HMS Endurance A171

phantom61

Hello Silvano,

it is good that you have posted a photo of the second HMS Endurance, otherwise you probably would have had photos and responses of the first 'Falklands era' vessel. :undecided:

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Silvano,

May I ask what more detail do you need?  That photograph is pretty clear and coupled with the one next to it in your Flickr photostream you've got a very good plan view.  Fortunately ENDURANCE's hull sides are pretty much straight at the flight deck (though they do taper in slight aft of the bum line (the aft of the two thwartships lines) so based on the fact that we know the beam at its maximum point is 17.9m, you can work out that the fwd end of the flight deck would be 373mm in 1/48 or 559mm in 1/32.  Taking your second Flickr image, you can then work out that the flight deck length (hanger door to the aft most point astern of the deck code) is 558mm (1/48) or 837mm (1/32).  The bum line is 354mm/531mm aft of the hanger door and the breadth of the flight deck at its aft end (just before it turns inward) is 362mm/543mm). 

Flight deck markings are, IIRC, 4 inches wide.  The diameter of the circle can be easily worked out from your model.  In perfect conditions the nosewheel is positioned on the point where the centreline touches the circle, the deck lock will be in the centre hole of the harpoon grid and the main wheels will be on the circle.  If you blow up the photo above you can see the pattern of ringbolts used for the tie down lashings

That should give you enough basic info to draw up some suitable plans from that.  I did a similar exercise last weekend drawing up a set of flight deck plans for a 1/48 Wasp which will sit on HECLA's flight deck.  All I used was PowerPoint (better drawing programs are available!) and it took about 2 hours start to finish

As an aside, may I ask where did you get the ground crew figures?

Also I hope you don't mind me commenting that I couldn't help but notice you have put the tail skid on your model.  This is a very common mistake that many RN Lynx modellers make because I think all of the kit instructions include it for all variants.  The RN only used the tail skid for the first couple of years of the Lynx service - it was certainly gone by the early 1980s, well before either ENDURANCE converted to Lynx

I was offered the chance to be the Flight Commander in the second ENDURANCE in about 1995; all of my friends who'd been on that flight said it was a great opportunity with some of the best flying that anyone could offer but I used to hate wearing an immersion suit to go flying so couldn't think of anything worse!

Hope that helps.  

Edited by Chewbacca
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Hi Silvano,

May I ask what more detail do you need?  That photograph is pretty clear and coupled with the one next to it in your Flickr photostream you've got a very good plan view.  Fortunately ENDURANCE's hull sides are pretty much straight at the flight deck (though they do taper in slight aft of the bum line (the aft of the two thwartships lines) so based on the fact that we know the beam at its maximum point is 17.9m, you can work out that the fwd end of the flight deck would be 373mm in 1/48 or 559mm in 1/32.  Taking your second Flickr image, you can then work out that the flight deck length (hanger door to the aft most point astern of the deck code) is 558mm (1/48) or 837mm (1/32).  The bum line is 354mm/531mm aft of the hanger door and the breadth of the flight deck at its aft end (just before it turns inward) is 362mm/543mm). 

Flight deck markings are, IIRC, 4 inches wide.  The diameter of the circle can be easily worked out from your model.  In perfect conditions the nosewheel is positioned on the point where the centreline touches the circle, the deck lock will be in the centre hole of the harpoon grid and the main wheels will be on the circle.  If you blow up the photo above you can see the pattern of ringbolts used for the tie down lashings

That should give you enough basic info to draw up some suitable plans from that.  I did a similar exercise last weekend drawing up a set of flight deck plans for a 1/48 Wasp which will sit on HECLA's flight deck.  All I used was PowerPoint (better drawing programs are available!) and it took about 2 hours start to finish

As an aside, may I ask where did you get the ground crew figures?

Also I hope you don't mind me commenting that I couldn't help but notice you have put the tail skid on your model.  This is a very common mistake that many RN Lynx modellers make because I think all of the kit instructions include it for all variants.  The RN only used the tail skid for the first couple of years of the Lynx service - it was certainly gone by the early 1980s, well before either ENDURANCE converted to Lynx

I was offered the chance to be the Flight Commander in the second ENDURANCE in about 1995; all of my friends who'd been on that flight said it was a great opportunity with some of the best flying that anyone could offer but I used to hate wearing an immersion suit to go flying so couldn't think of anything worse!

Hope that helps.  

Ciao Chewbacca,

thanks... thanks  you so much for your valuable information...

the ground crew figures they were produced by "the Aviation Workhop", now i think it's called, Air-Graphic models...

I proceed to remove the tail skid  👍 

a friend of mine prints me in 3D the HLG "Heligrid" can you confirm that it was about 2800mm or 110,28 inc diameter?

I turn the measures into 1/72 👍

I understand you ... I dive and I never think I can fly a helicopter 😂

grazie tanto Chewbacca...

posted new pic progres...

Ciao 

Silvano

Edited by phantom61

Very impressive work for 1/72.

According to the official Westland history (David Gibbings, "A Quiet Country Town: A Celebration of 100 Years of Westland at Yeovil", 2015) , the grid is 2.5m diameter.

However, I was rummaging through my archives last night and found some some extracts of the  Lynx aircrew manual which show the aircraft official dimensions.  A quick look at those coupled with that data from Gibbings would suggest that I may have made some errors with the calculations I did yesterday and that the figures are a little on the high side.  I won't be able to go over them again today but should be able to do so tomorrow.  

Very best regards

• Thanks 1

Ciao Chewbacca...

Thank you very much for your help ...

I eliminated the tail skid  👍👍

IMG_9403

for the HLG I tried to look in the manufacturers' manuals ... something I found ...
with a friend with the 3D printer, we did a test using the Diam.2,750m ...

this is the result ...

a1c4fdd9-158d-4010-ae9f-5782a43a54a7

8c07566e-83a3-486c-8ea8-58b02646412e

the all flight deck is excessive, so I will find a way to make the portion of the stern

Do you like It ???

IMG_9388

IMG_9390

ciao e grazie

Silvano

Happy Easter  🥚🕊️

Edited by phantom61
  • Like 1

Hi Silvano,

The 3D grid looks nice and you've done a good job of building the flight deck structure but the markings look wrong.

Fundamentally, when the Lynx is on deck and the deck lock is engaged in the centre hole, the nose wheel should be on the point where the centreline touches the "bum-line" and the outer circle.  The main-wheels, which for flying operations are canted out I think 35 deg (but I cannot be certain about the actual angle) should then also touch that circle.  So, taking the marked up drawing from the aircrew manual, the wheels should follow a circle of radius 2.4 m.  

So taking that, and the known beam at the forward end of the flight deck as 17.9 m, I think that offers the following: 

49763969667_37b65be578_b.jpg

Which suggest to me that your draft markings on the flight deck above are too far forward.  Furthermore, the two circles are too large.  If you look at your first photo in your first post, you'll see that the outer circle is roughly 1/3 of the width of the flight deck and the back end of it is broadly in line with the aft corners of the flight deck. 

Another measurement you can use to double check this is that a Lynx fuselage (from the tip of its radome to the centre of the tail rotor) is 11.92 m (166 mm in 1/72).  The aircrew manual shows that the distance from deck lock to the centre of the tail rotor is 7.09 m (98.5mm in 1/72) and the drawing shows that the centre of the grid to the aft end of the flight deck is 65 mm.  Thus you should have 98.5 - 65 = 33.5 mm of tail cone/pylon overhanging the flight deck with the Lynx in position on the grid.  That's about in line with the second line of riverts forward from the tail pylon hinge.

Hope that helps

• Thanks 1

outstanding Chewbacca...

you have been very helpful
I make the base with a Forex panel and when I have the 2mm plasticard I start the real construction ...

I added the decals I had and some small jobs ...

grazie Silvano

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Silvano,

Glad to be of help.  I still think the grid looks a bit too far forward in the cut plastic version comparing the rear of that to where the deck turns in, but I think it will look fine once it's all done.  My Pilot when I was a Flight Commander rarely hit the grid first time anyway!

Hi mates...

I continue in detail of the area under the flight deck ...
the spars can be seen from the photos found, on what I did not know ... I put a little imagination ...  😎🤔😎

hope you like it...

IMG_9659

IMG_9660

IMG_9661

IMG_9662

ciao...

Silvano

• Like 3

Hi Silvano, 

if you're going to that much detail under the deck where it can't be seen, one thing that will definitely be there is a drain from the deck lock grid.  I think was in the middle but it's a long while since I was last standing on a flight deck! 

• Like 1

Hi Mates...

after a web search, I found these photos of the tie-downs used on the Royal Navy Flight decks ...

EOAN9595

tha modellers are a strange breed ... they always try to help each other ...

help your friend with the 3d printer

BMIG4458

NUDD0181

JHMJ8590

let's see what I can do...

ciao 

Silvano

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mates...

new progress...

here are the pictures...

tie-down positioned...

IMG_9822

I also engraved the freight elevator

IMG_9821

these photos from a beautiful movie helped me

IMG_9804

IMG_9803

IMG_9865

I colored the part below flight deck

IMG_9896

with some "fantasy" decals ... but relevant...

IMG_9902

now the candeliers for the safety net

IMG_9894

IMG_9905

ciao

Silvano

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mates,

we are in the final stages

I sprayed a light gray on the tie-downs and then masked them ... followed by a dense acrylic color, then textured with a sponge ...
2 days of drying, then masks for the white circles ...
little is missing ...

do you have ideas for how to make safetynet ???
I tried with cotton and mosquito nets ... but it doesn't satisfy me ...

9A3231D1-FEB1-4EB5-873A-820A19550FB8

IMG_0074

IMG_0075

ciao 

Silvano

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, phantom61 said:

do you have ideas for how to make safetynet ???
I tried with cotton and mosquito nets ... but it doesn't satisfy me ...

Excellent work so far Silvano.

Could you use a stainless steel mesh like this to make the safety net ? 

Off topic - another view of your avatar ?

49895793957_aa86e8b7e2_z.jpg2020-05-14-009 (S) by richard.everett3, on Flickr

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...