Flocking seats

Redstaff

Morning good folk :) 

Hope everyone is well and progressing on stash reduction :) 

Just a quickie if I may. I'm currently building the Delta S4 and wanted to try flocking the seats for the first time, however with Hiroboy being temporarily closed and spotmodel not expecting stock till end of April at best, I wondered if anyone has another method using something else to give texture before paint in a typical Blue Peter method

If not I'll paint as normal and try flocking on the next build :) 

Many thanks and stay safe

Ian :) 

I have no experience of Hiroboy's product - which I'm sure is excellent - but the flocking powder used by 'nail artistes' does a very good job for carpets and seats. It's widely available as any search will show. Here's a typical supplier.

Brian

• Thanks 1

Have you tried making your own? I believe it’s very fine sawdust mixed with paint that  railway modellers use.

also, whilst I cannot speak for seats, I used the fluffy side of some Velcro strip to carpet a model, worked fairly well. 

embossing powder is another viable alternative which will be widely available from more sources than specific model shops

also maybe some thin felt

HTH

Coops

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys

Will try the suggestions, I might even give talcum powder and paint a go 🤔

The nail stuff says sprinkle on wet nail varnish, but I assume PVA will do the same job?

Ian :) 

PVA is perfect for the job.

It's best to apply the flock through a sieve - a tea strainer works well - and use a sheet of plain paper under the model to catch the left-overs and return them to the container.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bhouse said:

PVA is perfect for the job.

It's best to apply the flock through a sieve - a tea strainer works well - and use a sheet of plain paper under the model to catch the left-overs and return them to the container.

Could you use one of those static grass applicators too?  I've got one, and now have a few car kits in my stash (don't tell anyone :ninja: ), so will probably have to get down to it some day soon. :unsure:

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Mike said:

Could you use one of those static grass applicators too?

Now that's an interesting idea.

If it worked you'd end up with very deep pile carpets!

52 minutes ago, bhouse said:

Now that's an interesting idea.

If it worked you'd end up with very deep pile carpets!

Handy for anything a bit swanky.  How long are the fibres usually? :hmmm: