Mirage 2000C Kitty Hawk 1:32

Something from France this time.

Mirage 2000C from Kitty Hawk 1:32 scale
I don't have much good to say about Kitty Hawk models.
I chose a rather unusual camouflage, but next time I will do Mirage 2000 in Greek markings.

Model made straight from the box.

LnIVbY3.jpg?2127ZOSa.jpg?2NSFVAjC.jpg?2rXv3XU7.jpg?23kmXmmH.jpg?2hhCGKtc.jpg?2m5w3pzF.jpg?2WsDOvkT.jpg?3gHr8Ts4.jpg?2unTBgAr.jpg?3yJa0GlU.jpg?2Gjw3idb.jpg?4

• Like 42

Like Alan P, I'm curious to know what it was like to build. I like the weapons load you chose for it. Not your usual load, I suspect. Looks good!

• Like 1

Lovely build and a very nice and subtle camo finish; excellent all round. As others have said, I would appreciate your thoughts on the actual build and any shortcomings or problem areas that you found?

Thank you,

Gary

• Like 1

Nice build and weathering ! It definitively looks like a Mirage 2000 ! 😍 👍

And indeed the KH manual struck again : wrong colors (tiny particularity, the IFR probe was also painted in sand color), wrong payloads... !!

• Like 1

Hi

I like the build but as eclipse say's the KH instuctions are wrong.

The colours are wrong, take a look at World Air Power Journal vol 10 1992 on page 76 there is a top shot of the a/c flying photo which shows the colours and note that the a/c did not have any wing walks and other markings apart from the roundles also note weathering at wing root at the rear and lower fin there are quite a few photos of this a/c in those markings of the photo shoot on the web just Google it.

In WAPJ vol 37 summer 1999 on page 101 there is art work this shows that they have not followed the photos in there own pages and have put wing walks and all the other markings which do not match the photos i would go with the photos and not the art work as KH have done and others.

The a/c  ser 74 was a Mirage 2000c S4-2 RDI at the time, KH have the wrong nose cone for that a/c it should not have the strenghing straps on it these came with the 5F RDY a/c and with out the probe on the front the kit nose is wrong its not a nose fitted to any 2000 that i have seen. So  sand of the strips and keep the probe for RDM / RDI a/c for 5F keep straps and not fit probe the other thing the a/c was not fitted with the Spirale dispensers at the rear of the wing root these where not fitted till late 2000 S5 a/c cam into use long after the Gulf war had finished.

There are quite a few things that KH have got wrong or missed that on a 32nd a/c kit of this price i would have thought should be there,  so much info and photos around now on the 2000 that this should not happen its been in use for nearly 38 years now. I like the build and under stand that you did it as it came in the box so not knocking your build from that point aim just trying to help other buils a 2000 thats correct or close and do not fall foul of KH short comings most of the mistakes can be put right and the bits that are missing added with just a bit of checking up on the real a/c that you wish to build but note these a/c had a lot of up grades over the years so check the date of the photo a/c 74 was up graded to 5F at a later date so looks diffrent to as it did in 1991.

When you do your next one check out thebookby Duke Hawkins on the 2000 well worth it.

Hope this helps and i hope the 16 2000 48th kits aim doing just now are finished like that they are for the Mirage 60th big display at IPMS (UK) SMW 2021 which aim running its been Mirages for the last year or more and 1 more year to go.

All the best Paul

• Like 1

Great model!

Sorry, but when your are exact on those details, you should change the weapons load out as well. I do not think the C model could use the AS.30 missiles... sorry! Ok, maybe as an airshow load out..

Are they actuallx mounted that far back on the pylons by the way? (On a D model or course)

I don't know about the heroics necessary to build a KH Mirage 2000 in 1/32, but I love the paint and weathering you achieved.  Well done.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

the other thing the a/c was not fitted with the Spirale dispensers at the rear of the wing root these where not fitted till late 2000 S5 a/c cam into use long after the Gulf war had finished.

If you allow me a little remark : if the LPI (stands for Lance-Paillette Interne, Internal Chaff Launcher) weren't present yet on Mirage 2000 during the Gulf War, the Spirale system was already used. Spirale is corresponding with the complete luring system, Spirale meaning Système de Protection Infra-rouge et RAdar par LEurrage, Infrared and Rdar Protection System by Luring, including not only the above LPI, but also the LCI (Internal Flares Launcher) and during the Gulf War the Eclair Launcher, missing in the KH box, which was an equipement developped by the French Air Force jut before the operations...

20 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

these where not fitted till late 2000 S5 a/c cam into use long after the Gulf war had finished.

Not really, In fact Mirage 2000C 76/5-NP which is a S5 standard Aircraft has been sent in Saudi Arabia during Gulf War. But indeed the first use of LPI have taken place during a Red Flag exercice in june 1992, but with Mirage 2000N...

5-np_1.jpg

You can see above both Eclair and LCI on the rear part of the a/c, just before the exhaust :

5-ob_3.jpg

And concerning specifically the a/c 74 5-OP, like the other Mirage 2000 it also carry this Eclair launcher :

5-op_5.jpg5-op_4.jpg

And being used during real operations, it should carry operational weapons, with yellow and brown stripes, not blue, meaning dummy weapon... but here again, I'm not sure correct decals are provided by KH...

Love the Mirages but the regular "critical" comments about KH keep me away from their kits. Thus I have even more respect for your really nice build and finish.

Edited by PattheCat

That's a really nice Mirage! What is the kit like to build? Are there many issues or was it trouble free?

I have never built any of Kitty Hawk's models before which is why I ask, and I would really like to get this because I really like the 2000.