Bristol Beaufighter TF. 10

My next build is Airfix's 1:72 Bristol Beaufighter TF. 10. I have had it in my stash a while, and have always loved the look of this aircraft, and can't wait to start building her. So lets have a look at the box. 

IMG_20200406_101532

The artwork as usual is ace, and depicts the aircraft in the colour scheme i plan to build her in. 

The box contains a detailed instruction booklet, small decal sheet and clear sprue. 

IMG_20200406_101650

IMG_20200406_101737

IMG_20200406_101756

There are 5 grey sprues, all with little to no flash and lots of detailing. Looks like it will be a nice clean kit to build. 

I am planning on building it straight from the box, using Vallejo model air acrylics in place of the suggested Humbrol. I also intene to use some resin wheels i picked up at a model show a while back. 

IMG_20200407_114023

I am building her in the colours of No. 45 Squadron, "Operation Firedog", RAF Kuala Lumpur 1949. Here's hoping I can do the aircraft the Japanese called 'Whispering Death' justice. So far I have cleaned off the sprues in soapy water, and given the cockpit parts a blast of Vallejo primer. Here we go....

• Like 9

I started off by airbrushing the cockpit floor, interior fuselage walls and seats interior green. I then turned my attention to the pedals, instruments, and yoke, airbrushing these black. 

IMG_20200407_114210

Once they were dry I added detailing to the instruments and seats, and began construction. Everything went together well, the locating pins fit perfectly and in no time I had a cockpit. 

IMG_20200407_201433

This is now drying, ready to be encased in the fuselage. 

• Like 9

My least favourite time had come...... To join the fuselage halves! A quick dry fit revealed this could be less traumatic than I feared. So I carefully applied my glue and joined the halved together, with a little squeeze it was done. I quickly wrapped around some tape to keep it together and left it to dry. Then I constructed the wings, carefully gluing them together and adding some tape to hold them. 

IMG_20200411_122549

As Neil mentioned in the thread, the cowlings are made up of 3 parts (always a pain), so i decided I would build them now before building the engines so I could fill and sand as much as I needed. As I expected it was a pain getting them together, but using the engine as a guide, I glued, joined and taped the pieces before popping the engine out. 

IMG_20200411_122628

Next I built the tail plane, this comes in multiple parts, but goes together with relative ease....... Thankfully. 

IMG_20200411_122558

Finally, with the fuselage halves dry, I inserted the cockpit and flooring. This was a tight squeeze, but with probably more brute force than I would usually use, it fitted together. 

IMG_20200411_122610

Coming along nicely I think. 

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy since my last post. First I attached the wings to the build, these slot on with ease. Then I began constructing the engines, before fitting them into the pre-built cowlings. Snug is an understatement, in fact I broke one of the cowlings and beeded to reglue and sand it. Finally, I managed to fit the engines in and attach them to the aircraft. 

IMG_20200419_132046

As you can see I have also masked and fixed the cockpit glass in place. Not long now before she gets a coat of primer. 

• Like 12

With everything firmly secured in place, the time came to give the build a coat of primer. For this i used vallejo grey, and after 2 light coats she was ready for preshading.

IMG_20200423_164954

I opted for Nato Black, and after a lot of careful work was happy with the results. I left it over night to dry, and then mixed up some Vallejo medium sea grey, and began to spray. 

IMG_20200423_171304

I have put down 2 light coats, which covered evenly and settled well, and have since airbrushed some highlights, mixing white into the medium sea grey. Once dry I will seal it in with some Quick Shine gloss varnish. 

• Like 7

Since my last post I have been busy working on the build, but a little lack lustre when it comes to taking photos, so I apologise for the lack of visual reference. I unmasked and sealed in the grey with some Quick shine gloss and left it to dry. Once the varnish was ready I carefully remasked the build and prepared to airbrush the black sections. Starting with Vallejo black, I gave the aircraft a light coat, and left it to dry. Then I mixed up some Nato Black, to tone it down, and gave the build another coat. Once happy she was left to dry, and then I carefully unmasked her, crossing fingers there would be no bleeds. Luckily the paint work looked pretty good, so today I have sealed it in with Quick Shine gloss. 

IMG_20200502_174820 IMG_20200502_174845

I have also given the missiles a coat of Nato balck, and begun painting the ends Olive, sadly not too visible in the photo. 

IMG_20200502_174916

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy working on both builds, but have become terrible at posting my progress, apologies on that part. So, I sealed in the paint work with Quick Shine gloss and began applying the decals. Using Micro Sol to help them bed in, I set to work. They came off the backing paper well and are of a really good quality, there are just lots of tiny ones...... So my glasses were needed. 

IMG_20200511_171310 IMG_20200511_171317

There is hardly any silvering (I expected a bit, especially on the black underside), and they have settled well. Next I plan to seal them in before adding some weathering. 

• Like 13

Looking great Michelle! You have got me in a bit of a quandary (again). I had always intended to finish my kit as a TT10 but having seen you paint yours in the scheme, I'm not so sure anymore.

Indecisive of Mars 👽

• Like 1

At least this one hasn't cost me a shed load of cash Michelle, which is more than can be said for the Victor, that's well into three figures now with all the add ons and extra reference material I was forced to buy. Mrs Martian still doesn't believe you made me do it!

Skint of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

When the decals were fixed I sealed them in with Quick Shine gloss varnish and mixed up some rust and black weathering pigments ready to add a pin wash to the top of the aircraft. When I was happy with the effects, I mixed some white and black to make a light grey for a wash on the underside. Then, I secured the undercarriage struts (which I had pre-built) and wheels to the wheel bays. These fitted easily, as I expected as I had built them to fit before painting. Finally she was on all 3 wheels. 

2020-05-23_08-04-49

I attached the missiles, and built the props, before slotting them into the engines. 

IMG_20200523_135505

A few finishing details to add before the build is ready for a coat of satin varnish. 

• Like 7

With the build complete, I gave the Beaufighter a coat of Vallejo satin varnish (mixed in a ratio of 5:1). The varnish has settled well and now it is dry the build is complete. The kit was lovely to build, fitted together well and with ease. 

IMG_20200525_135616 IMG_20200525_135634 IMG_20200525_135644 IMG_20200525_135700 IMG_20200525_135708 IMG_20200525_135719 IMG_20200525_135728 IMG_20200525_135801 IMG_20200525_135839

I will post more photos in the ready for inspection forum, thanks for joining me on the build. 

• Like 9