AZ model 1/72 Spitfire Mk. IXc (Egyptian Air Force) >>> FINISHED <<<

Good evening mates,

I hope you are all well and healthy during these hard "COVID-19" times.

This is my representative in this GB - AZ model 1/72 Spitfire Mk.IXc.

It was bought mutually with my friend as AZ model's "Joypack 3in1" - one of 3 kits landed in my hands, so it is plastic-only.

spit9c-egypt-001.jpg

Regarding to markings, I've decided once again to build something exotic, so this one will represent Egyptian Spitfire from 1948 Arab-Israeli War.

Decals are Lift Here made.

spit9c-egypt-002.jpg

See you with in-progress shots in few days.

Hopefully we will all soon overcome this nasty situation, and in the meantime - take care of yourselves, and stay at home, enjoying in our beautiful hobby!

Cheers from Belgrade, Serbia

Srđan

• Like 14

I've missed adding etched seatbelts before painting so I did add them, and then painted rest of details in cockpit area, and gave it a subtle wash.

Fuselage closing is not far from now...

spit9c-egypt-005.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 13

Fuselage halves and cockpit are glued together, joints are sanded where it was needed, and panel lines are rescribed on those areas.

spit9c-egypt-006.jpg

I've added some styrene sheets on wing roots to prevent "step" when bottom halves of wings are glued to fuselage.

spit9c-egypt-007.jpg

Unfortunately, this kit (or maybe just my example) suffers from same problem I've experienced with ICM Bf 109E-3 - fuselage curves into one side from cockpit to the tail, giving it a bit of "banana" shape :(
It could be solved maybe by putting rear part of fuselage into hot (boiling) water and then pulling it to the other side, but it's pretty risky, and it might result in breaking of rear fuselage, so I will leave it like this.

Fortunately, rudder is given as a separate part, so I'll position it in opposite side of fuselage curvature, so I can negate it a bit... although in this way fuselage seen from above will "snake" shape instead of current "banana" 😄 but nevermind, I will survive with it :)

spit9c-egypt-008.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, John Masters said:

This is looking good.  Having built this kit (any many AZ kits like it) you're doing a great job!

Thanks John. Did you also have problems with warped fuselage halves?

4 hours ago, srkirad said:

problems

This is something I thought of...not a problem, but a fix if your instructions do not show it...

The exhausts slip into little slots on the side of the aircraft nose, like normal.  If the instructions do not tell you to add a small piece of plastic card on the inside and behind the slot, make sure you do so anyway.  Otherwise you run the risk of the exhaust falling into the fuselage!  Just me, but I always add the exhaust almost last...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Masters said:

The exhausts slip into little slots on the side of the aircraft nose, like normal.  If the instructions do not tell you to add a small piece of plastic card on the inside and behind the slot, make sure you do so anyway.  Otherwise you run the risk of the exhaust falling into the fuselage! 

Uhm, didn't think of this detail in advance, and observing that area I understand you are right.

Fuselage is assembled, and what is worse, wings are glued together with fuselage now too, so I will have to think of this problem in the meanwhile...  I'll think of something I guess :)

Thanks for the notice anyway! 

Cheers,

S.

9 hours ago, srkirad said:

Fuselage is assembled, and what is worse, wings are glued together with fuselage now too, so I will have to think of this problem in the meanwhile...  I'll think of something I guess :)

Cut a couple of strips of plastic a couple of mm’s taller than the openings. First drill a hole in the plastic strips and use thread, Then manipulate each strip into the open and pull them vertically against the inner fuselage. Or you could use tweezers to hold the strips in place while the glue sets. Either of those ways should work, I think two strips per opening should be ok ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

After a while I did some visible progress - advice from Dennis about using thread for installing styrene strips as place holders for exhaust pipes was a full success! Except I did not use thread but very thin wire - it is more stiff than thread so easier to manipulate in that tiny holes...

Everything on airframe is assembled now, and these are latest photos before primering.

Wing tips were a bit hard to install, and unfortunately I wrongfully glued them upside down :( I discovered that too late - I already started grinding them down to match the shape of main part of wing, so now those sections look a bit odd, but that's it... don't have will to repair that.... I suppose Egyptians maybe did some experiments with foldable wingtips, so I will attribute it to that :D 

spit9c-egypt-009.jpg

spit9c-egypt-010.jpg

spit9c-egypt-011.jpg

Regarding to tail section that is warped to the right side, I just glued rudder turned a bit to the left, just to do some small visual compensation.

spit9c-egypt-012.jpg

In few days I plan to shoot primer and do some preshading before painting...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, srkirad said:

After a while I did some visible progress - advice from Dennis about using thread for installing styrene strips as place holders for exhaust pipes was a full success! Except I did not use thread but very thin wire - it is more stiff than thread so easier to manipulate in that tiny holes...

Good to hear that it worked. 

• Thanks 1

Hi S.,

Glad that I caught up with your build. Looking very nice. And an interesting subject, a war when Spitfires fought Spitfires!

Best wishes for the rest of the build.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Charlie, that's what exactly caught my attention when thinking of what markings should this one be in - I prefer a bit exotic camouflages and markings on planes.

Here comes the preshading - Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black

spit9c-egypt-015.jpg

spit9c-egypt-016.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

After a week spent on painting small parts (landing gear, wheels, propeller,...) I finally applied first layer of paint - Azure blue - Gunze C370

spit9c-egypt-017.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 5