Airspeed Oxford Mk II, No780 NAS, 1949/50 *** FINISHED 04/05/2020 ***

DaveyGair

This will be my next build for this GB, when I get the Hudson done!

Can I take it that it is less than 25% started? Just two seats assembled and a bulkhead on the floor.

DSC_0008 DSC_0004 DSC_0005 DSC_0006

Subject of this build.

DSC_0007

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I took a break from doing the 2 Spitfires and the Seafire I'm doing over on that build, so had a look at the Oxford, all that PE, Ughh!

Anyway, managed to get the interior done, all ready for paint. Mind you there'll be more superglue inside than PE!! 

Left the control columns till I've got in there with the paint.

I kept wrecking the seat frames while doing the belts, but it's all together now, best I can, Masked the interior of the side windows, hopefully I'll remember to remove it before joining the halves together!

Did they really take THREE bottles of Rum up with them! (what are they by the way?)

Davey.

DSC_0030 DSC_0031 DSC_0032

• Like 7

Got more done on this the last couple of days, in between doing Spitfires and Seafires!

Got the interior painted, my usual Vallejo Umber Wash then some details picked out.  

Major fail on the instrument panel front! Even though I'm usually fairly diligent with pre-fitting, at least twice, all the interior parts, I neglected the instrument panel. There is an area marked out for the control lever column on the floor, so superglued that there. When coming to fit the instrument panel, after gluing in the whole floor area, it wouldn't go in. I couldn't lever off the control column so had to cut out some of the bottom of the instrument panel to fit!  You live and learn, and it'll look OK once the canopy is put on and painted. 

Fuselage is glued together now, all went together fine.

More to come.

Davey.

Just noticed as I put the photos on the pilot's missing a rudder pedal and the gate for his lever on the left of him (whatever that is) has broken off and dropped down! :banghead:

DSC_0050 DSC_0051 DSC_0052

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 8

More work done.  I decided to install the lower wing, which is all one moulding, which fitted very nicely apart from the front port side which needed a bit of filler.

I had to add a little fillet of plasticard to the rear wing root port side as this was short shot on the moulding.

I then added the mainwheel bays, which needed a bit of fiddling to get the front bay walls to fit. Then did the upper wings, first gluing the wing roots and joins up to the engine nacelles leaving them to dry before working along each wing. I had to clamp the front of the nacelles to ensure they stayed together, flooded with liquid poly.

There is no filler needed for the wing roots or the lower wing to fuselage joins, apart from the front port side already mentioned.

the rear tail planes fitted fine, a little filler needed, but maybe I could have got the fit better before installing.

Davey.

DSC_0959 DSC_0960 DSC_0961 DSC_0962 DSC_0963

• Like 5

Got the main colour on, there's nothing like an airbrushed silver finish to show all the little faults but I'm leaving well alone, it'll do me. I used Vallejo ModelAir RLM 01 over Vallejo Acrylic Grey Primer, which dries beautifully smooth.

Hand painted the walkways and managed to mask the black non-reflective panel ahead of the windscreen.

Haven't even got the engines and what have you done yet, next job although I may do the decals and gloss coat to protect the fragile finish!

Don't like the vinyl masks, lift off too easily but they came with the kit. I had them for a Blenheim build, (Montex?) but prefer Tamiya type tape.

Davey.

DSC_0018 DSC_0017 DSC_0016 DSC_0015

• Like 5

• DaveyGair changed the title to Airspeed Oxford Mk II, No780 NAS, 1949/50 *** FINISHED 04/05/2020 ***

First of all got the engines and cowlings in place. Typical of SH there is nothing in the way of location for the cowls apart from a small tab in the inside top of each cowl half. There is a tiny indent in the nascelle on each wing. Suffice to say this wasn't a good way of locating the cowlings so I just ended up fiddling with bits of plasticard till I was happy with the position.

DSC_0008 DSC_0010

I was surprised that there wasn't as much detail to add to the engines in this scale. I haven't bothered to add anything, pure laziness as there are references on the internet that can be used.  Finally got the intakes, which are in resin, to fit, again no positive location.  The position of the cowls doesn't let you fit the exhausts to fit where SH want you to so just stuck them where I could as long as they emerged from the cut-out in the lower cowling.

The undercarriage was a real pain to assemble as well, the wheels didn't fit properly and not very good location points.

DSC_0020 DSC_0021

So, we're now finished. Not perfect in any way but once again with this type of kit it was a real challenge at times but whilst I could have spent more time on fit and finish I'm happy with the overall effect.

Davey.

DSC_0019 DSC_0012 DSC_0014

• Like 8