The typical question, what to start next...

Chief Cohiba

Guys, I'm just about to finish the ICM Tu144, but am somewhat, I don't know, I want to start something else for minds sake. And I can't decide which journey to start, as I have some in my stash.

But: I want to start soon, if not now, and don't want to go ordering some special parts. So, the planned double build of the 1/48 Sopwith Camel (Eduard) and Strutter(Roden) have to wait, as I want them to build with wire wheels(not even ordered) and I guess the already ordered wicker seats will take some time. No.

For the reanimation of the WNW Sopwith Tripe I have partly build somewhere but I most likely need Turnbuckles. So, most likely: no.

The double build of the Nungesser's and Guynemer's Nieuport 17 - I have to wait for the overtrees from Eduard. No.

So what a re the choices? Here's the options:

AVG P40B in 1/32. Already started, but a lot to do. I want to build Arvid Olsens P40, Hells Angels squadron leader, number 99, for some historical reference. He was the one to suggest the name of the motorcycle club, or so rumours say. Need only some decals, apart from that most I have at home. Possible.

Dornier Do 26 in 1/72. Yes, a mad mens journey ahead of building Amodels short run kit, but I just haveto do this. Bit of a story and a childhood reference, as I want to build this in fantasy livery based on a book I read as a kid. So, if you fancy some What-If, Metropolis and mid century Bauhaus aesthetics, here's to go.

Saint Exupery P38 in 1/32, based on Trumpeters kit. A Have most of the parts needed for the conversion, and as this will be a loooong story, enough time to go for the decals. If inrested, just say so. 

Mig 23P in 1/72, the RV kit. My first attempt of going Cold War. Didn't do that for a long time. A few Resing Parts to add, which I have all at home. Brown/Green camouflage. Could start soon.

Another cold war piece - the small Viggen. With some parts and want to try the Splinter scheme masks. But I think we've seen a lot of them over in the nordic GB.

Albatros V, 1/48 Eduard Profipack. Should be OOB, so everything at home. Want to build Kissenberths black machine with the Edelweiss.  So, if some want to see that...

WWI Exoticas: I still have two Austro-Hungarian WWI birds in my stash: the Lloyd Kikeriki and the Marine Phoenix, both from Special hobby. Will do them with a lot of wood optics. Anyone for this?

And yes, the Airfix Walrus. You'll get what you expect on this, just a few extra parts. No turnbuckles, as I don't in 1/48.

So please, do make my live easier and point somewhere! So appreciate your help and ideas...

Thanks, your friend in Vienna, Guenther

• Chief Cohiba changed the title to The typical question, what to start next...
9 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Saint Exupery P38 in 1/32, based on Trumpeters kit. A Have most of the parts needed for the conversion, and as this will be a loooong story, enough time to go for the decals. If inrested, just say so. 

First choice

AVG P40B in 1/32. Already started, but a lot to do. I want to build Arvid Olsens P40, Hells Angels squadron leader, number 99, for some historical reference. He was the one to suggest the name of the motorcycle club, or so rumours say. Need only some decals, apart from that most I have at home. Possible.

Second choice... I was always told the angels drew there name from the famous photo of a B-17 and its crew, this one I think. 
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/b-17g/crew-of-b-17-hells-angels-41-24577-358th-bs-303rd-bg-44/

Albatros V, 1/48 Eduard Profipack. Should be OOB, so everything at home. Want to build Kissenberths black machine with the Edelweiss.  So, if some want to see that...

As a huge Albatross fan this would also be a great choice. Sorry if thats still too many choices, but they are in a preferred order. If you ultimately choose one of these three options, please tag me if you do a WIP as Id like to follow the build. 

Dennis

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

First choice

Second choice... I was always told the angels drew there name from the famous photo of a B-17 and its crew, this one I think. 
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/b-17g/crew-of-b-17-hells-angels-41-24577-358th-bs-303rd-bg-44/

As a huge Albatross fan this would also be a great choice. Sorry if thats still too many choices, but they are in a preferred order. If you ultimately choose one of these three options, please tag me if you do a WIP as Id like to follow the build. 

Dennis

Thanks for your Input, Dennis.

Now I can remember why I'm reluctant in starting Saint Ex P38 (the later F5, not the early "80"): I would like to gather some experience in the field of bare metal work first, as I would like to build her in a state like I've read in an interview with his mechanic. In this it was stated that the Haze Blue was almost entirely gone, and almost all over the plane the bare metal was visible. So, just the right weathering will be key on this, and I'm not too comfortable with Bare Metal yet. This is another topic, but any input on this is more than welcome.

The story behind the P40 99 I took from the very closest source: https://hells-angels.com/our-club/history/

Not that I'm in any way related to the club, I've always found this topic interesting. Right now, this is the most likely candidate to be continued. I just need to make a decal for Olsens signature Red Angel, but thinking of doing this on my own with a Laser Print Waterslide Decal Paper. As I've already done quite some bits on that, this might be a not too long thing as well.

The Albatros might be something I just start somewhere in  between, I right now I'm thinking of letting the wood structure a bit shine through to the dark finish. We'll see.

I keep you informed.

Edited by Chief Cohiba
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, johnd said:

Well, it was on the list so you must secretly relish the pain 😉

...oh yes, slap me, whip me, give me short run kits! 😄

I really dig the dark side of modelling!

• Haha 2

So, after fumbling through the various boxes of the candidates mentioned above, some of them not being opened for quite a while, eat the usual amount of dust while doing so, I decided to go with the P40. Not for any particular reason other than just, I felt like to revive this (and a bit comfortable with the idea that a lot has already been done. I'm quite lazy...)

But not more than this right now:

38255159gv.jpg

38255162el.jpg

Apart from you usual online resources I found myself into some good old paper work I used as a reference so far and which will carry me through the build...

38255532nx.jpg

So, maybe I start the WIP over this weekend and will invite you over there. Then of course there's a more detailled description what's been done so far.

• Like 1