Hasegawa 1/48 Douglas TA-4J Skyhawk

Despite continuing to work full time (I have the privilege of being an emergency worker) and having young kids at home, coronavirus has made for more modelling time. This is the third Hasegawa A-4 in my current 'group build' and it's the two-seater finished in kit markings. There's no aftermarket and the only significant changes are removing the lip for the leading edge slat 'bay' and making a new pitot from Albion Alloys brass tubing. The finish is Mr Color (for the white; a mix of C316 and Finishing Surfacer 1500), Hataka lacquers (mixed International Orange and Insignia Red) and MRP (black). The gloss areas are Tamiya X-22 and Gunze GX100 and the matt areas are GX113.

A lot more photos and a bit of a write-up at https://jonbryon.com/hasegawa-1-48-douglas-ta-4j-skyhawk/.

Comments welcome and thanks for looking,

Jon

ta4j_31.jpg

ta4j_15.jpg

ta4j_17.jpg

ta4j_01.jpg

ta4j_16.jpg

ta4j_14.jpg

ta4j_26.jpg

ta4j_10.jpg

ta4j_19.jpg

ta4j_36.jpg

ta4j_30.jpg

ta4j_59.jpg

ta4j_65.jpg

ta4j_63.jpg

ta4j_62.jpg

ta4j_50.jpg

ta4j_64.jpg

ta4j_57.jpg

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

That's a fantastic finish. Clean and sharp. Work of art, truly.

May I ask what you used for the white finish, and any special technique? I've asked a few others, but white continues to vex me😕

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, markmcguire25 said:

That's a fantastic finish. Clean and sharp. Work of art, truly.

May I ask what you used for the white finish, and any special technique? I've asked a few others, but white continues to vex me😕

Thanks,

Mark

Thank you Mark.

The white finish is Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 White thinned with Mr Rapid Thinner. This was used as a primer and as a base white. Mr Color 316 White was then used in blotches over the top (mainly on the fuselage) and to cover areas that had been removed by sanding (such as the intakes). 

HTH

Jon

• Thanks 1

Truly beautiful build! Hasegawa makes such wonderful Skyhawk kits and you capitalized on the quality very nicely. Your application of white paint is superb!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spejic said:

That is a fantastic build and your web site detailing the construction is very useful.

Can you tell me how you dealt with the airbrakes?

Thanks everyone.

What would you specifically like to know about the airbrakes? They are just glued in place. I think the arms are a little long and I sanded them down a bit to get a better fit.

Cheers

Jon

1 hour ago, Jon Bryon said:

What would you specifically like to know about the airbrakes?

The airbrakes on the Hasegawa A-4 are flat and don't follow the curve of the fuselage. It's most noticeable on the aft end.  Do you just hide them with the decal, or are they sanded to shape, losing the details they have? They can't be curved by hand without removing the internal details, and that doesn't seem easy.