F-14 varients

twp1

I have x2 F-14D kits to build. Both with the same decal option. I'd like to make them as bombcat variants and have found a set of aftermarket decals that would allow me to do this. However, the decal sheet is for F-14B variants. Would anyone have any knowledge of the major visual differences between a B and D variant and would I be able to use B variant decals on a D kit without any need to modify the kits in any way. From what I can see, they look the same and the only differences are internal 

Regards

This is a pretty big one, chin pod on the B only has the TCS while the D has a double pod with an IR seeker.

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-chinpods.htm

There may also be differences in the exhaust vents around the gun. I'll leave it to more knowledgeable experts to pick up on the finer details.

The "internal" differences also include substantial changes to the instrument panels in both pilot and RIO cockpits, which would be quite visible through the canopy, even if you build it closed.

Edited by Vlad

How far down the differences do you want to go ?

There are several external differences: the abovementioned different chin pod is the best known. From a modeller's point of view, some kits already have different pods in the box, if you have the older TCS you're sorted. Another difference is that the B featured two teardrop fairings under the fixed part of the wing for an ECM system. These were installed internally on the D. In your kit you may or not have these, if you have, just add them in place.

Then there are the wheels, as the D used a different main wheel. There's aftermarket out there to cover this in any case.

The cockpit is a bit more tricky... the B originally had the same cockpit of the A but with time this was updated and the rear in particular started to look more like a D. Best thing to do in this case is check pictures. What never changed were the seats as the B retained the MB Mk.7 til the end of their career and these seats are very different from the D's NACES seats

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twp1 said:

I have x2 F-14D kits to build. Both with the same decal option. I'd like to make them as bombcat variants and have found a set of aftermarket decals that would allow me to do this. However, the decal sheet is for F-14B variants. Would anyone have any knowledge of the major visual differences between a B and D variant and would I be able to use B variant decals on a D kit without any need to modify the kits in any way. From what I can see, they look the same and the only differences are internal 

Regards

If your kit is from Hasegawa and it's a 1/72 F-14D then everything you need to build an F-14B it's here inside the box.

Fujimi probably has everything, I don't remember about them having NACES ejection seats but since B had GRU-7 those are there anyway, what can't be found in Fujimi B/D kits are GE shields and probably some other bits

As for decals if you meant the stencil data, yes you can do that, if you are in the need I have DXM VF-101 1/72 decal instructions who show the placement of stencils data for either version, what you cannot do albeit some heavy whiffery and a couple of exceptions is using F-14B squadron markings on F-14D or vice-versa because:

VF-2 switched from F-14A to D mid 90's never flew other variants other than F-14A with NACA gun-vents but not Bomcat mods after Desert Storm prior the change

VF-11 for a short time ditto but then it switched to F-14B, can you swap D to B markings? Only for line birds, cause as soon they change the carrier group or sail for a different Ocean you'll be in the need of different CAG markings, after Desert Storm they still flew with A models without NACA gun-vents, pretty sure someone will show me otherwise but I alted my research to The Red Rippers Tomcat who flew at some Air Show and then moved to researched B and D models

VF-31 same as VF-2, I'm still looking for pictures of their aicrafts after Desert Storm, it seems like they got shy during that period of time or none cared about them

VF-101 is an exception as with some Bu-No and modex swaps you can make either version by using same squadron markings, but you can't if the tail art is different, keep in mind VF-101 is similar to the BF-109/Mig-21/Mirage III/FW-190 hell so be VERILY aware

VF-124 I think it flew only with Ds and for a very short time, D markings were also similar to mid 80's F-14A markings, problem is nobody seems to care or have cared about VF-124 in the last three decades

VF-213 switched from F-14A to D late 90's love it or hate it, your choice

VX-9/VX-30 I guess you can as during later years they flew with both versions but be aware that some were A/B/D hybrids

One more thing, depending on which D you are going to build, some had a rover antenna installed on Phoenix pallet, I could be wrong but cockpit coating and hud were different, cockpit most people just checks for the squared off TPID(?) panel in the RIO compartment, as for wheels I don't know, if D used different MLG rims then you need specific aftermarket rims for the D, if not then Hasegawa offers basic early and common type of rims but completely ignores the possible differences between early and common NLG rims.

ECM again Hasegawa instructions are well clear, Fujimi possibly ignored that

Luigi