Lisunov Wellington small

I am working out engineering solutions for a Wellington produced using the fuselage of a Lisunov Li-2 (licence built DC2) for a Czech film in 1969. My main build is to represent the film prop in 1/72 using a Contrail Warwick fuselage and Italeri DC2 wings.

HOWEVER, Fitting the wings, a key stage in the construction will be difficult using the vac form fuselage which will necessarily be widened by 5mm.  Having a bit of time to spare in lockdown I will also be building my other solution. A Monogram 1/90 scale DC2 fitted on to a Revell (nee MPM) Wellington in 1/72 !

IMG_0752[3139]

IMG_0813

Because the Li-2 had to have stringers attached to the surface of the fuselage it made for a much larger body. As can be seen from the February Air Enthusiast's article on this film prop, the 1/90 DC2 marries up very well with the 1/72 Wellinton.

IMG_0814

IMG_0815

Even the width of the 1/73 Wellington fuselage is about right. Please note for demonstration purposes I am using a gash Matchbox fuselage that I got for free. The Revell one does not have inlets for the wings as the DC2 ones need to go lower.

This is the film prop. Further detail can be seen in my post of the other build entitled '"Lisunov Wellington" (this one is .....small)

• Like 11

Had a surprisingly successful day with the first steps of the conversion.

ECB56E6B-5083-4969-A1D9-DB0ED83C005A

The wing fitting came off quite easily. I have subsequently cleaned the surface up and taken the wing bulge out of the window. The film prop doesn't need it as it is a low wing fitting.

CFDADD04-4776-4ECF-9768-590610CFA5AD

I cut wing slots in the fuselage and then cut the central section in half -at an angle- so that I can sturdily rejoin it with a plate on top on the inside of the fuselage at a later stage in the construction.

C02F7883-22C9-46E3-9CB8-E769652BD443

Note that the wing is not on the absolute bottom of the fuselage like the DC3 but slightly higher up

33F2DBAC-5A6A-4BCD-AC8A-F8E8D61BBE79

I'm particularly happy with the wing position as the propeller slot will be in about the right position.  Am having a lot of fun 🙂

• Like 7

I had a slight misinterpretation of profile for my nose so am attending to it with Milliput.

The prop aircraft has side windows further back than a conventional Wellington and nothing like windows on the nose. Fortunately the kit comes with blanking plates on the side and used a little bit, along with gluing the window in place on the nose.

IMG_0840 IMG_0839

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm sure I read a build thread of this some years ago. Possibly someone in Poland? Probably here on BM.

Hi Pete, I’ve looked around but yet to find the build thread. I’d love to see it and will also investigate that 2000 article. More info always helps 😊

• Like 2

Brilliant. Amazing what they used to get up to before CGI. I do wonder how well she flew. One of the Gazelle pilots in my Brothers AAC squadron got to fly "Blue Thunder" and had strict instructions to stay under 30 knots and no sharp turns...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, John_W said:

Brilliant. Amazing what they used to get up to before CGI. I do wonder how well she flew. 

Hi John,

this ‘aircraft’ could not fly but used it to taxi under its own power. They even made the turrets rotate. Just waiting for the DVD of the film to turn up 😊

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2020 at 8:52 AM, John_W said:

Brilliant. Amazing what they used to get up to before CGI. I do wonder how well she flew. One of the Gazelle pilots in my Brothers AAC squadron got to fly "Blue Thunder" and had strict instructions to stay under 30 knots and no sharp turns...

Dammit! You got me now thinking of something. Wasn't there once an Heller Gazelle in 1:50 or something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Dammit! You got me now thinking of something. Wasn't there once an Heller Gazelle in 1:50 or something?

Yes. Simple google search will show it is still available for about £15 😊

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Yes. Simple google search will show it is still available for about £15 😊

Just found it. I even discovered that even the "Blue Thunder" itself had a strange emanation as something, that has been descibed as. "worst kit of all times". 

But let's stop hijacking this WIP, all eyes on the Wellinggton! 🙂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Yes a mad build but great fun to watch and lovely work. To the point I’m almost inspired to build a proctuka, the Percival proctor converted to use as a Stuka in the film the Battle of Britain :) 

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/bob/misc.htm

Build it, you know you want to ! 🙂

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Build it, you know you want to ! 🙂

Yes I do but my preferred subject the Dora wings 1/48 version is going to cost €30 and by rights I’d need two so will wait till the budget can better bear it. Plus I do have quite a few projects in Wip to work through first.

• Like 1

I have now seen the film Nebesti Jezdci. First I must point out that I have a degree in Film Studies, and have taught it at Uni. I therefore spent four hours watching the 91 minute film as I did lots of rewinding. I viewed the film in 16 X 9 aspect ratio but I suspect it is 14 X 9, I had to use the wider format as subtitles disappeared in the latter. Below are some basic pictures taken with my phone from the screen.  Certain interesting things came to light !

Firstly, I think the fuselage of the Lisunov was decked out with geodesic webbing and formers. Note, these formers are round like a Lisunov, nothing like the more oblong shape seen in a real Wellington (I visited Brooklands last year were I walked inside a Wimpy). Rather than use the converted Lisunov they may have of course built a special set - if so why not make it more Wellington rather than Lisunov shape ?

IMG_0922

There are three interesting ventral lights behind the bomb aimer's window only seen in this shot.

IMG_0964

Perhaps the biggest surprise for me was the possible writing off of a real aircraft !! Unlike various commentaries of the film the Lisunov is NOT crashed into water. The non-flying prop is seen to crash into bushes as it goes along the ground. This is clearly recognised in the film as the crew are injured - badly. After recovery some of the crew fly in a second aircraft (E 2169 not Lisunov P 2469). This aircraft is shot down and is seen, in a continuous sequence, crashing into water ! Either it is a real aircraft or a large scale flying model. I will leave you to decide - See below

IMG_0994

IMG_0995

• Like 2

• 1 month later...