Hopefully this will brighten your morning :)

What a great place Volkel was, and they had excellent Spottersdags (Spotters days). I got there a few times, but not on this occasion, sadly. The likes of this will never be seen again :(

keep safe all, 

Martin

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Absolute magic, happy days indeed. I remember a Greenham Common where there were loads of F104’s, mid 70’s, I guess

Great video, Mrs SD just asked what was making me so happy and why the broad grin?....doubt she’ll ever understand such things!

SD

35 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Absolute magic, happy days indeed. I remember a Greenham Common where there were loads of F104’s, mid 70’s, I guess

Great video, Mrs SD just asked what was making me so happy and why the broad grin?....doubt she’ll ever understand such things!

SD

Yes, that was the 1977 Tiger Meet event at Greenham. Loads of Stars there and Super Mysteres! :) . Wonderful days. And, of course, in a multitude of colours! Seeing modern grey jets just doesn't do it for me! You say about Mrs SD, my Mrs RR of the time we to two of the Spottersdags and I even got her to stand with a tape recorder for at least one of the events ;). My lovely Mrs RR nowadays is a plane nut too so she just soaks it all up! :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Very nice, I had forgotten the howl that 104s made, brings back memories of Finningley and Mildenhall. The last Finningley airshow was in 1994 and the last Mildenhall was in 2001, how time flies! 

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

True. At least we are lucky enough have those memories, mate :)

Totally agree with that - I find modern aviation (military and civil) all a bit sterile. I love reminiscing about the 70’s,80’s and 90’s......

(My alarm call when I lived near LHR was OH-KDA piling out every morning around 0600, and the Aeroflot Tu104 on a Friday whistling over school as we tipped out - low enough and big enough reg under wing to read off with mk 1 eyeball)

3 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Totally agree with that - I find modern aviation (military and civil) all a bit sterile. I love reminiscing about the 70’s,80’s and 90’s......

(My alarm call when I lived near LHR was OH-KDA piling out every morning around 0600, and the Aeroflot Tu104 on a Friday whistling over school as we tipped out - low enough and big enough reg under wing to read off with mk 1 eyeball)

Ah, yes. Nice :). Living near Gatwick my encounters were more varied. While I longed to go to "London Airport" I contented myself with the miscellany further south. The only DC-6 I ever saw at LHR was OD-AER whereas at Gatwick we had SAM, Caledonian, and other. We had '104s on charters too :). Great days. 

From a spotting perspective I left the civil world in the mid-1970s and have spent my time since then pursuing machines with afterburners ;)...... And a few others :)

2 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Oh that sound, pure music and probably never to be heard again operationally. We had it good didn't we?

We certainly did, but then those from the fifties or sixties eill probably say much the same! :). I'm happy with my lot :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1