External differences between MiG-23BN and MF (apart from the nose)

Bjorn

I plan to build my favourite Flogger, the MiG-23BN in 1/48, using the Cold War studio nose correction set. I have a Trumpeter MiG-23MF in my stash and wonder if I could use that one instead of buying an expensive and mis-shaped Trumpeter BN? Are there any other external differences apart from the nose (and cockpit) and the rear bomb racks? And if so, did Trumpy care about them in their BN?

• Like 1

Hello Bjorn

Engine nozzles differ substantially. Here is the one on MiG-23 MF (actually on MLD, but the nozzle looks the same as on MF) found here on Prime Portal:

mig-23mld_44_42_of_48.jpg

Here is a photo of MiG-23 BN nozzle, found on Aircraft Walkaround Center here:

tail_s.jpg

I was not aware of other differences, but while browsing for suitable engine nozzle photos I came across this page on ARC forum. Apparently, replacement of MF's nose wheel with a larger one and modifications of nose undercarriage doors are also necessary. I vaguely remember that AM MiG-23 nozzles had been available, although I do not know for which sub-type or in which scale. Cheers

Jure

• Like 2

As stated above, big difference in nozzles. The BN / -27 has featherless  / no petals outer nozzles.

:Resin nozzles are awailable from Aires and Eduard for many -23 version, some open or closed

includung the BN, or -27

An example:

https://www.scalemates.com/de/kits/aires-4748-mig-23bn-late-exhaust-nozzle-opened--1156638

1156638-33840-59-720.jpg

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

The front wheels are bigger (that's why the doors have a bulge, size is 570 x 140). The rudder had no dampers (the BN is closer to the M than to MF (for Trumpy all the same...)). The Delta-antenna on the right fixed wing.

The fixed front part of the fin could have the shape of M or MF, check references.

• Like 2

Thank you all! After all, it seems as if it is possible to convert the MF, since you have to buy lots of aftermarket parts anyway to correct all Trumpy's BN errors... 

Edited by Bjorn