Junkers Ju-86 airliner, modified Italeri 1/72nd kit

10 hours ago, Moa said:

Those photos are mostly taken from the ETH Zurich website, that I stated as the source for the cabin images.

Here is a different link, so there is no need to look at all that despicable nazi crap:

https://search.library.ethz.ch/primo-explore/search?institution=E00&vid=DADS&tab=default_tab&mode=Basic&lang=en_US&displayMode=full&bulkSize=10&highlight=true&dum=true&query=any,contains,JUnkers Ju-86&displayField=all&primoQueryTemp=JUnkers Ju-86

Have someone any idea about these  Swiss JU- 86 colours.  DHL light grey L40/52 ?  Cowlings possible blue, the trim
could be blue too.  Fuselage registration looks black, but letters on wings are much lighter  .
Tailfins red for sure + white crosses.

Regards ET

Wow another Moa masterpiece, great work fella, I have to say I like your window work using the clear strip replacement, it always looks so neat. I know if I do that there would be huge gaps and wavy lines.

Keep up you fantastic work fella.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow another Moa masterpiece, great work fella, I have to say I like your window work using the clear strip replacement, it always looks so neat. I know if I do that there would be huge gaps and wavy lines.

Keep up you fantastic work fella.

All the best

Chris

Thanks, Chris.

I wish the models were so perfect as you seem to perceive them! :daydream:

• Like 1

You may drill and carve those pips, or remove them, drill the location and use the carved plastic airfoils I was using above for more realism, or...

IMG_9452+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

...you could make the exhausts from shaped and glued thin aluminium foil of the the stiff type found on coffee containers and such:

IMG_9453+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Cut a strip, bend it, superglue it from inside:

IMG_9454+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Trim the excess, sand the edge. You can make short tail struts, landing gear telescopic struts, trailing antenna housings, exhausts, etc.

IMG_9456+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

And in any size you want:

IMG_9457+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2020 at 4:57 PM, Moa said:

Meanwhile the wardrobe doors for the new kit are fabricated:

Where in the world are you going to find 1/72 wood stain and varnish to finish those wardrobe doors? Being German, they must  be in cherry wood!

Mike

• Haha 2

On 4/12/2020 at 4:20 PM, Moa said:

And we all know what this is, a paleokit feature, for the dreaded stand:

Or maybe the exhaust outlet for the toilette...which reminds me, what magazines are going to be in the seatback pockets- Revi or Bavarian House and Gardens? (I know the drill- go sit in the corner and think about my behavior.)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Haha 2

@Moa,

Claudio, may I call you that? I was thinking about your window issues on the Ju-86, and I had a thought. (Very dangerous act, in my case!) Do you know about polycarbonate, or have you used it? It is a very clear, tough plastic with a higher melting point than acetate or other clear sheet plastic used in vacuforming. It comes in various thicknesses, and you can get it in a thickness that is greater than the thin plastic used in  most vacuform transparencies, but still thinner than styrene clear parts. You get a thicker surface for cementing to the plastic kit you are working on, too! You can get offcuts and leftovers from your local plastic supply store for  free or at a really low price, as they are basically leftover plastic bits from whatever they are making for a customer. You can get enough to last a lifetime for a pittance. I have a  vacuform machine  like the one used in dental labs to make partials and appliances, and it works on polycarbonate  like a champ! If not, you just heat it up longer using whatever apparatus you have. I have used this plastic to form canopies as well as using the sheet for windows and other flat transparencies like underwing landing lights. There is very little I can help you with when it comes to model building, but maybe this tip might be useful for future projects. This is going to be a very handsome airliner!

Mike  

• Like 1

It seems that Italeri got wrong the position of the details behind the cockpit:

gizm+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This is how the "teardrop" actually looks:

gizmo.jpg

And you can see that the positions of it an the directional finder were actually all the way around:

gizmos.jpg

Going back to the used kit, the fit of the nacelles is really good, as it was the fit of the wing halves. One brownie point for Italeri... and minus 1 point for the dumb engineering of the prop assembly that will have you, like most old kits and some modern ones, having to install the assembly at this stage, so it's hindering your work all the way to completion, instead of being an insert with rotating function designed to be added at the end:

IMG_9462+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A replacement "teardrop":

IMG_9464+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A replacement finder, with its beveled base to follow the fuselage angle on the side:

IMG_9465+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

What? you say the finder had two loops? gosh, you guys are insatiably nitpickers!
Here's the double finder, then:

IMG_9466+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_9468+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_9469+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_9470+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The leftover lengths of plastic are cut off, and a second ring is mounted on those tiny bits of plastic:

IMG_9471+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Then, carefully, the rings are open a bit and inserted in the stem, and superglued in place.

IMG_9472+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I know it looks difficult, but it's much worse than what you may imagine.

It usually takes an average of 289 attempts.

The prisoners of Azkaban are forced to do these.

Where -you may asked yourself rhetorically- is the photo-etching industry when you need them? They could produce two rings united with a small spacer at one point, and you could fold them and place them on top of a thin rod and add a little blob of white glue.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moa said:

Hum...let me see.

OK, if that's a sheet of polycarbonate in the photo you posted, that sucking sound you hear is me putting my foot in my big mouth! No more comment from the peanut gallery for me! BTW, those airfoil-shaped struts you made are the bee's knees- what a wizard idea!

Mike

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

OK, if that's a sheet of polycarbonate in the photo you posted, that sucking sound you hear is me putting my foot in my big mouth! No more comment from the peanut gallery for me! BTW, those airfoil-shaped struts you made are the bee's knees- what a wizard idea!

Mike

Your comments, contributions, adittions, amendments, sidelines, vegetable-throwing, whistling and heckling will be always welcome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi Moa,

Outstanding and educative job as your building reports always are. Only a couple of things I'm not feeling totally comfortable:

- The loop antenna o the cabin roof and it's position. I believe that it can be turned during navigation to find the direction of the navigational radio station,.

- And the toilet paper. Is it sure they used rolled paper and not separate sheets?

:D

Cheers,

AaCee

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Moa said:

vegetable-throwing, whistling and heckling will be always welcome.

Great, I'm still welcome then!

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, AaCee26 said:

Is it sure they used rolled paper and not separate sheets?

Neither type is to be found, so it doesn't make much difference, but for your peace of mind: long ago, in a similar discussion about a roll of toilet paper I placed on a model -modeling police got all excited-, I posted historical information about the item, that dates way back,. Do not remember the dates, frankly, but we are safe for the time period I favor.

I encourage you to rummage through the 300 models or so I have posted here, and find that data.

I Am Not a Savage: I Do Have a Bidet.

• Haha 5

Two made, one for each model:

IMG_9473+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The the left, the rescued kit, to the right, the new one. Waiting now for the arrival of the Kora set from the Land of Eng. I could start doing some basic painting, but the thought of setting up all the airbrushing rigmarole and then clean up is not particularly enticing at the moment.

And remember: there are more things than aircraft modeling.

There is also car modeling, bus modeling, etc.

IMG_9474+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

On 4/15/2020 at 5:11 AM, Juhannussima said:

Have someone any idea about these  Swiss JU- 86 colours.  DHL light grey L40/52 ?  Cowlings possible blue, the trim
could be blue too.  Fuselage registration looks black, but letters on wings are much lighter  .
Tailfins red for sure + white crosses.

Regards ET

Hi ET

The Kora models set for the radial version of the Swiss Airline Ju-56 specifies Light Grey RLM 63, FS 36 373, H 147 for the general color.

Blue RLM 24 , H 25 for the engines, and has the fuselage motif and "Swiss Airlines" lettering on a very light blue (no number specified).

Black registrations, all over (the lighter shade you see on the wings is usually attributed to light reflection... but I am not convinced, it really look s very light, even seemingly in some images that show a glimpse under the wing).

I have no idea how accurate all this is, and will not blindly trust it, at all.

To me the engines, speedbird and company lettering are the same blue, not a different one. Not sure it would have been as dark as RLM 24.

So not much to reassure you, I am afraid.

The Speedbird seems to be an heritage of the Lufthansa speedbird. The vintage Junkers logo was blue.

On a Swissair page (not official, I think, there is a profile that states light cobalt blue for engine and speedbird.

Again, not hard evidence, just speculation.

I will ask you a favor, though: to post your question in a separate thread in the classic civil planes section, to avoid a lengthy discussion here about a different interest.

And perhaps knowledgeable people will give you a hand. There are many lurking there.

Cheers!

• Like 1