Junkers Ju-86 airliner, modified Italeri 1/72nd kit

Thanks to the courtesy of Italeri you now have to correct all the military bits, by adding some parts and redoing others. This is glued:

IMG_9384+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

And then a thin sheet is glued on the reverse for firmness (especially during sanding):

IMG_9385+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

And we all know what this is, a paleokit feature, for the dreaded stand:

IMG_9386+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Those doors you see crossed can't really be used, they are thin, they buckle, and their edges are beveled. More styrene sheet bits it is:

IMG_9387+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

More reinforcing sheet:

IMG_9388+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This part has a notch, that you have to deal with too:

IMG_9389+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

The wheel wells would have you looking at the void, in good ole kit fashion:

IMG_9394+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I decided to add a resemblance of structure in the form of a corrugated section, to which some general idea of plumbing will be eventually added. This should not interfere with the cabin floor of the wing tongues sliding in later:

IMG_9395+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Similar treatment will have to be also performed on the section of the wheel wells that pertains to the wings:

IMG_9396+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I just went with the photo caption: https://atom.drisa.co.za/index.php/1939-saa-junkers-ju-86-interior-2

Chris

Yeah, photo captions...

They call a Ford trimotor a triplane (I have read this, I am not kidding).

They call a Fokker trimotor a Ford trimotor (and vice-versa)

Long ago I pointed out wrong captions at the San Diego Air and Space Museum (to a staffer in the building) and he said something like "nobody will notice".

Fantastic.

Never trust a caption, never trust a plan, never trust a kit.

In my Macchi M39 thread I stated several cases of miscaptions.

The field is riddled with them, in books, magazines, websites.

• Like 3

I know that you can't always trust captions. I, too have contacted sources ( The IWM and Library & Archives Canada ) to inform them of mis-captioned photos and have got nothing but pleasant replies and re-captioned photos. 

As I found that SAA photo first I didn't have a good idea what the passenger cabin looked like. Now I do.

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I would imagine it to be round to fit the standard Earthling backside.

Now I’m curious about what would be the appropriate geometric shape on Mars? And, would one hole be sufficient, or would more be needed?

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Now I’m curious about what would be the appropriate geometric shape on Mars? And, would one hole be sufficient, or would more be needed?

No, no, no, do you really want to go there?

AW

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Sigh...

I spoil you rotten, Martian.

Here is a round plywood replacement:

IMG_9392+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

That looks pretty serviceable Claudio.

5 minutes ago, billn53 said:

We have a specially adapted tentacle.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Even if you do nothing, to arrange the parts in an orderly fashion provides a sense of accomplishment:

IMG_9397+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Using the kit's raised panel lines as guide, they are scribed. Later on a light pass with sandpaper and vigorous brushing using an old toothbrush will take care of the old lines.

I can do this only at specific hours of the day, when the natural light is just so. Tomorrow will be the turn to engrave the more difficult fuselage panel lines:

IMG_9398+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

All flying surfaces are given the new, engraved panel lines. As specified above, the wing wheel wells are provided with some structure resemblance (why even old kits missed that is disconcerting. Some boxings of this kit even have photos on the sides of the box showing "details", like the -poor- landing gear and such: "-Look, mom, it got wheels!"):
IMG_9399+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I would imagine it to be round to fit the standard Earthling backside.

Or perhaps there was an adaptor to fit a Martian's exhaust port? (I was perfectly happy to sit here and watch Moa's build in silence...well there goes another forum topic- shot to hell!) :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 6

I've found a couple of (useful) pictures in my computer:

fiJnKqQ.jpg

xlRIBrQ.jpg

P8FxTYT.jpg

The last picture shows the diesel-engined Ju 86Z (Captain Obvious strikes again!), however the internal details are exactly the same.

Cheers, Moggy

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Moggy said:

I've found a couple of (useful) pictures in my computer:

The last picture shows the diesel-engined Ju 86Z (Captain Obvious strikes again!), however the internal details are exactly the same.

Cheers, Moggy

Hi Moggy

Thanks, appreciated, but these were posted before by other member (it pays to read the thread 😉)

The only obscure point is the restroom itself, not the general area, or other details, or it being seen from afar.

I got enough images of all the rest.

Cheers

I just received a very, very useful tip from Mika Jernfors, to whom I am indebted for saving the accuracy of the build:

Not only the seats were staggered, as I mentioned above, but he made me notice that the windows were moved forward as well.

Therefore to obtain an accurate civil version, you have to "advance" so to speak, as a whole, the windows on the right side (as perceived seating normally in the cabin).

Sigh...

What the...

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Moa said:

Hi Moggy

Thanks, appreciated, but these were posted before by other member (it pays to read the thread 😉)

The only obscure point is the restroom itself, not the general area, or other details, or it being seen from afar.

I got enough images of all the rest.

Cheers

Silly me. 🤪

...sigh... Sorry - next time I'll come with something not published here, hopefully. 😇

Cheers, Moggy The Forgetful

• Haha 1

Oh yeah. 

You can see the Spacing difference showing up in the panels as they join along the roof line here... 

xlRIBrQ.jpg

Oh hang on.... 

That looks like it's the left side that's moved forward, doesn't it.... 🤔

I'll shut up while you check things... 🤫

Could even be possible that the original photo negative has been reversed..... Even the letter T on the door is no help 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition

I decided to work a bit in the first, gifted used kit. The previous owner had glued to door, so it is opened again:

IMG_9411+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_9412+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

As you can see the previous owner as said had excised the window areas, but did not go ahead and moved the right side ahead:

IMG_9413+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The area is marked and that fore segment removed:

IMG_9414+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A compensating piece is glued behind:

IMG_9416+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Meanwhile the wardrobe doors for the new kit are fabricated:

IMG_9415+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

There are different ways to correct the window row. One is just to remove the whole area, as in the used kit, and either "advance it", or replace it with a clear section (very tricky) the other would be to remove a section ahead of each window, and add it behind. We'll see what we do:

IMG_9417+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'll shut up while you check things...

I already checked things, Rob. You have to look at all the photos, good photos, not grainy stuff.

Time is precious.

Pictures from ETH Zurich website

Look at the distance from the aft windows to the aft bulkhead:

LBS_SR01-01251+%25281212x1280%2529.jpg

(The first seat for the column on the right side of the cabin (as one seats) is missing in the frame)

LBS_SR01-00332+%25281212x1280%2529.jpg

LBS_SR01-01452+%25281221x1280%2529.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry Moa, I disorientated myself by double correction of lefts and rights!! 

I was going to point out the ghastly mistake you have made here.... 😏

When I eventually realised 😶.... 

errrrmmm.... 

YOU'RE RIGHT ‼️😁

Of course. 

(not too much of a surprise there really!) 

And I'm talking rubbish. 

Wardrobe doors too. 

Who knew, even..... 👍

• Haha 2