Revell / Monogram P-61 1/48

12 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Your work getting the cockpit enclosures to fit is most impressive and a true guide for me as to how to handle getting them to fit when I build my model. I'd heard the kit clear pieces were an issue and that deterred me from even starting it.

Thank you!

The clear parts area true challenge, good luck with your P-61 😁

On 5/1/2020 at 11:41 PM, SAT69 said:

Your work getting the cockpit enclosures to fit is most impressive and a true guide for me as to how to handle getting them to fit when I build my model. I'd heard the kit clear pieces were an issue and that deterred me from even starting it.

Thank you!

I hope this works as inspiration for you, definitely this kit needs a lot of help with the clear parts, but with enough time and patience you can turn any "unbuildable" kit up to today standards, I'm sure your P-61 will look amazing!

• Like 1

Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engine.
Used the basic resin engine from Quickboost and the rest of the details made with copper wires and aluminum foil.

PicsArt_05-07-06.00.55 IMG_20200507_180151 IMG_20200508_191412

A quick comparison between the engine out of the box and the one I modified, luckily I got the same height on both propellers, so that's good!

Edited by René Martínez
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff G said:

This is looking really promising. I have to ask, the rivets look great - what tool/brand do you use?

I am using "Rosie the riveter" for 1/48 and 1/32 scale.

PicsArt_05-12-07.40.51

It is not a cheap tool, but it's totally worth it. I have used the trumpeter riveter in the past with good results and it's a lot cheaper.

I would totally recommend the trumpeter one even tho in the internet a lot of people criticise it. The only modification I made was a side cut to watch better where I'm riveting, but still an amazing tool to improve our scale models.

• Thanks 1

I painted the tail markigs because the colors on the decals were incorrect, It's not looking perfect, but i think it's a fair representation for the 418th Night Fighter Squadron.

IMG_20200512_193428

Also here's some information I've found on other forums. https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/1st-place-beginner-p-61-black-widow-of-maj-carrol-c-snuffy-smith.19641/page-2

cola tail

timesawastin

Notice I'm building a P-61A, just because in those pictures I don't perceive the nose long enough to be a B version.

But trying to discuss the few inches of difference at 1/48 scale is kinda ridiculous at this point.

Edited by René Martínez

landing gear doors, hydraulic cables and landing gear brakes ready!

IMG_20200522_175144

Everything glued together, decals and matt varnish applied, looks like this, this project it's almost finished

IMG_20200519_162651

Edited by René Martínez
  • Like 2

I tried to flatten the wheels without success...

I used a pan with wax paper and cardboard to control the heat that reaches the rest of the plane exposing only the wheels, when it started to fall in the shape I wanted, quickly removed it from the heat. I have seen this method being used a lot, but I dont know why it didn't work for me.

imgen pisisxtiguna

imgen pisisxtiguan

It simply doesn't look good

I don't know whether to use a metal file to try to smooth or flatten the surface a bit, I can't think of any other way to fix it. 

This one is not going to win any contest

Edited by René Martínez

Very impressive work all the way around but I confess it's the engine that really stands out for me. That's truly awesome work.

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Very impressive work all the way around but I confess it's the engine that really stands out for me. That's truly awesome work.

Thank you very much!!!

The engine is a cool point of interest I've seen on other models so I tried to do the same, a lot of hours were invested in it, really paid off.