Airfix Spitfire Vb 1/48

Seeing we're in lockdown I may as well try and clear some of the stash. I've got two of these in the stash hence my potential decal sheet choices featured below. I will only be building the one for this GB though and would quite like to do a Malta aircraft in an overall blue scheme.  Will post pics of progress tomorrow.

49747758551_1cafb06a30_z.jpg

49743050482_e5b9f36353_b.jpg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Blitz23 said:

I've got two of these in the stash

are you aware of the kits potential problems, very tight tolerances, sprue nibs and missed seams or a coast of paint on a mating surface can be cause trouble,  especially  if you don't get the cockpit right the fuel tank won't fit,  and the UC leg attachment is awful, really needs drilling and pinning before assembly...

If not I'll dig out a build which deals with these.

53 minutes ago, Blitz23 said:

and would quite like to do a Malta aircraft in an overall blue scheme.

what is the decal sheet?  can't see a make listed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

are you aware of the kits potential problems, very tight tolerances, sprue nibs and missed seams or a coast of paint on a mating surface can be cause trouble,  especially  if you don't get the cockpit right the fuel tank won't fit,  and the UC leg attachment is awful, really needs drilling and pinning before assembly...

If not I'll dig out a build which deals with these.

what is the decal sheet?  can't see a make listed.

I've seen reviews online about the kit, must admit the looking over it I'm not a fan of the undercarriage installation method at all. Thanks for the heads up!

1 hour ago, matto21 said:

Ah, it's this sheet. 

I'm probably not going to build enough Spits to justify it! Some lovely options there though. 

That's the one, almost double what I bought the kit for so I'm in two minds, have found a cheaper decal sheet, maybe I'll just go OOB. I'll decide once I get To the painting stage.

1 hour ago, Blitz23 said:

I've seen reviews online about the kit, must admit the looking over it I'm not a fan of the undercarriage installation method at all. Thanks for the heads up!

This has discussion on the Fuel tank/IP issue

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/&do=findComment&comment=1797402

UC legs

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/&do=findComment&comment=1835643

Looking at the sprues, while too late for you, I'd suggest joining the two parts before assembly of wing, drilling through from the bottom of the pivot part, and the cutting them, so you know the metal rod will line up neatly.

I have used steel moulding pins for this before,

easy to cut down and thinner than paper clips.

one thing that is of use, is to try test holes in some plastic card to get a good fit for the pins/drill bit size, though I note in the product spec http://www.frankshaw.co.uk/25mm-Moulding-Veneer-Pins-11006.html

they are 1mm diameter...

Though I thin in the end I to the bottom pivot piece, and use a small bit to drill down from the half round join piece (this is fiddly) joined the UC leg on, drilled into that from beneath the pivot, and then separated the leg,  you can add the pin later on then. 

Of course, like so many things, mine sits in a box of Spitfire projects....

HTH

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

This has discussion on the Fuel tank/IP issue

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/&do=findComment&comment=1797402

UC legs

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/&do=findComment&comment=1835643

Though I thin in the end I to the bottom pivot piece, and use a small bit to drill down from the half round join piece (this is fiddly) joined the UC leg on, drilled into that from beneath the pivot, and then separated the leg,  you can add the pin later on then. 

Of course, like so many things, mine sits in a box of Spitfire projects....

HTH

Some good gen there thanks Troy.

2 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Blitz23

Welcome aboard be careful the starts only on the 11th ..

Have fun with your build

All the best

Patrice

Ah noted 👍🏻 good thing I've got a Sea Fury to keep me occupied.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You can always buy it and sell/trade the rest of the sheet on ? 

Great suggestions and I do have another of the same kit so wouldn't be a complete waste.

On 4/8/2020 at 10:41 AM, matto21 said:

Ah, it's this sheet. 

I'm probably not going to build enough Spits to justify it! Some lovely options there though. 

Maybe you could spend the money on generic sheets? The national markings, if of the C/C1 type, could I assume be used from the kit and so leaving you with only the serial and codes to find. You could then use the remainder on other projects.

Regards

Trevor

• Like 1

On 9 April 2020 at 3:29 PM, Max Headroom said:

Maybe you could spend the money on generic sheets? The national markings, if of the C/C1 type, could I assume be used from the kit and so leaving you with only the serial and codes to find. You could then use the remainder on other projects.

Regards

Trevor

That's not a bad idea, I'll get it built up first then go from there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this may be the most frustrating cockpit interior I've built in some time 😐 Over complicated and a shoddy fit! I'll post pics of progress tonight and hopefully I'll have it together but it's all painted with just a few bits of detailing and touch ups to do.

• Like 1

Quick update on cockpit progress, hoping to have it all buttoned up tomorrow ready for the fuselage to be sealed together. A very over complicated cockpit assembly procedure which has taken a lot of drying fittings and testing. Note to self always go with Tamiya 😂 

IMG_20200423_224409

• Like 3

Looks like your getting there 👍

The Airfix kit is a bit of a bear to build. Check out the other guys building this kit  in this GB to see how they got on with the next bit.....with a lot of patience it is doable.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Update the bulk of the interior work is done, bit wash work to do on the fuselage and a small bit on the rear sub frame, I've assembled the wings with the most ridiculous undercarriage attachements ever. So fiddly I don't know why they have complicated this kit so much.  I've also cut the pilots door off so as I'll be having the canopy  open and I plan to add seat belts in at a later stage. Hope to have the fuselage together within the next day or so as I'm back at work 😐

IMG_20200427_120917

IMG_20200427_120719

IMG_20200427_120729

Edited by Blitz23
No Pics
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update on progress, back at work so I've shelved her for the week with some other ongoing builds. Fueslage all together wings and cannons attached.  Just got some sanding to finish on her before prepping for paint. Probably just going to finish as the aircraft depicted in the box art.

IMG_20200525_121408

• Like 2