Ambush in the afternoon

Been a while since I've posted anything out of the Group Build area, as ive got a bit of time on my hands now thought I'd upload my latest project. A mixed unit stalking a Sherman Firefly as it travels up a French lane.

My references, 

image.gif

image.jpg

image.jpg

My work so far, 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Bit of fettling done today on the base, hopefully it's all a little more apparent to the scene I'm building.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Clive,

Great to see you in action with another diorama.  It's always nice to see reference photos as well, although I think you've set yourself quite  challenge!  So far it's all looking good. I love the camo on the Sherman and your trees look to be coming along nicely as well.  Your tank riders are also well done, with a nice addition of the camo netting on their helmets. I had that kit (MiniArt IIRC) and added herbs to their helmets, which looked quite nice, but then I didn't paint things so well and they came out naff. Don't ask me what happened to the insignia on their arms, either!

Looking forward to your next instalment.

Stay safe.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Clive,

Great to see you in action with another diorama.  It's always nice to see reference photos as well, although I think you've set yourself quite  challenge!  So far it's all looking good. I love the camo on the Sherman and your trees look to be coming along nicely as well.  Your tank riders are also well done, with a nice addition of the camo netting on their helmets. I had that kit (MiniArt IIRC) and added herbs to their helmets, which looked quite nice, but then I didn't paint things so well and they came out naff. Don't ask me what happened to the insignia on their arms, either!

Looking forward to your next instalment.

Stay safe.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

its been a project ive been thinking of for a while, Black dog do a resin turret with hessien camouflage thought I'd give it a go with a few foil tops from wine bottles. Think it's turned out OK, the mini art figures turned out OK I got a set of magnifying grasses for Christmas. This has allowed me to get that extra bit of detail on my figure, the tree was my first attempt fairly pleased with the outcome. I will refine to complete the covering along the track.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A well spent morning, I've decided to do at least one bank covered in ivy. The buff thread are the roots and then the leaves are individually placed on.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Clive,

That ivy is looking superb! It looks like those leaves are the 'seed dividers' from Silver Birch 'catkins'. Did you collect and paint them yourself or are they ones you purchased?

Stay safe mate,

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Clive,

That ivy is looking superb! It looks like those leaves are the 'seed dividers' from Silver Birch 'catkins'. Did you collect and paint them yourself or are they ones you purchased?

Stay safe mate,

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

they certainly are, these are brought ones, I have got some I just need to find them and give them a paint.

stay safe to mate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

they certainly are, these are brought ones, I have got some I just need to find them and give them a paint.

Hi Clive,

I collect the Silver Birch 'catkins' from hedgerows and trees overhanging garden fences and walls along the lane. I keep an eye on them and collect them when they have dried out and have turned fully brown. Most of the seeds have fallen out by then so it makes it easier to sort out the ivy leaf shaped 'dividers. I break the catkins apart, pick out the 'ivy leaves' and store them in airtight re-sealable bags, or 'kodak film canisters.' I say 'kodak film canisters' because most people will know what they look like. The canisters I use are identical, but are actually containers for blood sugar testing strips. 

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Clive,

I collect the Silver Birch 'catkins' from hedgerows and trees overhanging garden fences and walls along the lane. I keep an eye on them and collect them when they have dried out and have turned fully brown. Most of the seeds have fallen out by then so it makes it easier to sort out the ivy leaf shaped 'dividers. I break the catkins apart, pick out the 'ivy leaves' and store them in airtight re-sealable bags, or 'kodak film canisters.' I say 'kodak film canisters' because most people will know what they look like. The canisters I use are identical, but are actually containers for blood sugar testing strips. 

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

i think  I picked mine up from some woods near the beach, wow I've not seen a film canister for years. As a boy I had loads as they were always very useful.

a bit of progress today using the raw grass, thanks to @GRK for the how too. I've never used with this product before and was surprised when I opened the box, I had a rectangle of fluffy toy fur I set about cutting to shape and trimming it down. Then I soaked it in a watered down paint solution to marinate for a bit, I then combed it through and let to dry overnight. I then sprayed with a watered down PVA glue mixture and let dry, once I was happy with the look I airbrushed a lighter green over it. I then sprayed again with the PVA solution and sprinkled some bits on, once it was all dry I stuck it down on the track.

The raw material.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Good work on the grass, the guy from tremendous showed me a good tip to blend the edges of the grass- he chopped very fine pieces of unpainted grass and then just brushed them into the groundwork next to the grass strip. It looked really good. He then sprayed some diluted pva to stick it down.

really liking your ivy technique 

Edited by GRK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GRK said:

Good work on the grass, the guy from tremendous showed me a good tip to blend the edges of the grass- he chopped very fine pieces of unpainted grass and then just brushed them into the groundwork next to the grass strip. It looked really good. He then sprayed some diluted pva to stick it down.

really liking your ivy technique 

Thanks GRK,

i appreciate the feedback, I will give that technique a try.

That's looking fantastic Clive.  I have the feeling that this is going to be your best ever dio.  Keep up the good work!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Badder said:

That's looking fantastic Clive.  I have the feeling that this is going to be your best ever dio.  Keep up the good work!

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

it should look pretty impressive once I've finished, if it all goes to plan.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paul Murray said:

Looks Great Clive , fantastic work on the ivy &grass is looking great too

Cheers Paul

Thanks Paul,

ive got a bit more grass to do, going to use a single piece and trim different lengths. Hopefully do some over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit more done on the lane, I've added some weeds growing along the bank. I was after something to give a 3 dimensional effect, I used some bass broom brush bristles for the stalks and for the flowers I used some bits from the pack I got with a he live grass.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Paul Murray said:

Hi Clive, Weeds look great , this will be impressive once finished

Cheers Paul

Thanks Paul,

im going to make a few more green ones for the field, then I've got to think about doing some more trees.

Spent the morning making a few trees, it's definitely the effect I was looking for. Just need to give them a covering to make them a bit more tree like.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ive made a start on the first few trees, I've also made some branches for the hedgerows to go in between the trees.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Paul Murray said:

Hi Clive , This looks better with every post 

Cheers Paul

Thanks Paul,

ive got a few more trees done today, just in the process of giving them a bit of colour.

Hi Clive,

Better and better.  You really can't have too many plants in the undergrowth, so I hope you're going to cram as much in as you can.

The trees are looking great. Will you be scattering crushed herbs over the canopies? I'd think about adding some lighter/brighter greens here and there, and the tree canopies would be a good place, as well as along the banks. And on the point of banks, have you left yourself enough room to get to that last area of ivy?

Whatever, you're doing a brilliant job and that dio is going to be producing some very interesting photos.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Clive,

Better and better.  You really can't have too many plants in the undergrowth, so I hope you're going to cram as much in as you can.

The trees are looking great. Will you be scattering crushed herbs over the canopies? I'd think about adding some lighter/brighter greens here and there, and the tree canopies would be a good place, as well as along the banks. And on the point of banks, have you left yourself enough room to get to that last area of ivy?

Whatever, you're doing a brilliant job and that dio is going to be producing some very interesting photos.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

ive got a few more plants to put on, I also have enough to finish the ivy off. Hopefully I will pick the base up tomorrow, I need to trim a bit off that side and the front to fit balsa wood finish to the sides for it all to fit on the base.

ive been experimenting with different greens to break up the monotone green, I have raided the spice rack for some herbs.

I need to workout how to take some good pictures to get the effect.

• Like 1

A bit more progress, the base is coming along I've mounted it and finished the side walls off in Matt black ready for a gloss coat. After cutting to size I finished off the ivy bank, I've made a start on the hedges liberally scattering dried parsley for leaf effect. I've got to wait for a new nozzle tip for the airbrush before I can give a coat of Tamiya's XF85.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3