1/48 Spitfire XVIe 127 Sqn RAF Sqn Ldr Otto Smik ***FINISHED***

8 hours ago, Bill Livingston said:

Good to hear the decals work well. What did you use, Micro set and sol, or Mr Mark Softer and Mark Setter? I have both, but I haven't tried the Mr Hobby stuff yet... and I'm slightly nervous of trying something new again for a while... thats a path that leads to destruction and chaos as far as I am concerned this week.

Thanks Bill!

I used micro set and micro sol and had no problems with them. The decals are quite quick to settle, so I found that they needed to be slid into almost the exact position rather than being moved on the model. I think if I had achieved a higher sheen gloss coat it may have helped.

Overall the decals settle down well and have conformed to the surface detail really nicely. There is only one small stencil that hasn’t bedded down properly, so I’ll replace that with a spare today.

Steve

• Like 1

Really is looking fantastic. I hope mine comes today.

What gloss varnish do you use? I usually brush on my varnish but after buying nearly every kind an exclusively and highly skilled brush painter on BM says only way to get a proper finish with varnishes is to spray. I just ordered some testors and some humbrol after the wife was in bed haha, this is the only time in this hobby I think I can now say I have every piece of anything I need....an airbrush still scares me...

I think you are right to go with the code as you point out it could be changed if we ever find out what it was...I’m still looking...

Keep up the great work 

Thanks @Valkyrie!

I’ve used Vallejo gloss with this. Pre-airbrush I was using Tamiya clear gloss in a rattle can, but found that it could sometimes cause a reaction. I’m still learning with the Vallejo paints and didn’t manage to get the gloss on as well as I would have liked, but I’ll stick with it I think.

The great thing I find with the Vallejo stuff is that it is odourless so I’m not risking the wrath of the Long-Haired Chief of Staff every time I paint!

As a long-term brush painter, I am really enjoying the change to an airbrush. I had one years ago, but was reliant on compressed air cans, so it was always a bit hit or miss.

I recently bought the Expo set below which is a gravity fed airbrush with compressor and carry case. With some thinners and airbrush cleaner, the whole package came in at less than £100 from Salisbury Model Centre (SMC). I’ve been delighted with it so far. Declan the owner at SMC gave me a talk through using and cleaning etc and it’s been trouble free. I may upgrade to a more expensive brush in due course, but so far it’s been ideal.  

F26D2060-49D4-4241-B229-C2D7B3850A34

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve! I think all that for £100 is really tempting, that’s 11 rattle cans delivered. Do you need an extractor fan? I’d be doing it in the garage.

And is cleaning straight forward?

Sorry, but I think I might be at the stage to take the step, especially seeing how your Smik build is turning out!

The long haired chief of staff lol, I like that 😂 

I think once I get an airbrush my full modelling operation will be ordered to directed completely to the garage

• Like 1

I don’t have an extractor fan or spray booth (MK1 cardboard box!), but I do wear a paint mask. 

I think if I was spraying enamels or lacquers a fan would be essential to drive the odours out of the house.

Cleaning is really easy, I spray some thinner through when changing colours and then use an airbrush foaming cleaner at the end of each session and conduct a quick strip/assemble to ensure all the internals are clean - 5 mins top.

I’d recommend Declan at SMC for a call and chat through - he’s very helpful (currently he’s open on Tues and Thurs only for orders).

Steve

• Thanks 1

A bit more work on the model today and as for the RCAF build, I applied a Vallejo gloss coat to seal everything in:

IMG_2344

Then, when that was dry, a liberal application of Flory dark wash.

IMG_2346

I'll start removing that later and then plan to seal it all in under a coat of matt varnish. I am always a bit mixed about these washes, as I can almost guarantee that I will miss a blob and then seal it under varnish forever more! I'm also hoping that some of the panel colour variation that I could see pre-gloss returns, it's quite difficult to make out under the shine. If not I can always start experimenting with post shading I guess... I mean, what could possibly go wrong....! The road to final assembly and weathering is visible!

Steve 

Edited by Steve 1602
Typo
  • Like 4

Steve, really looking nice. Sorry I'm late to the party. So many Spitfires going on. Ray

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Steve, really looking nice. Sorry I'm late to the party. So many Spitfires going on. Ray

Thanks Ray - yes Britmodeller appears to be building one of Bader's 'Big Wings'

4 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I fancy trying a wash, keen to see how this goes, though to be fair it’s looking great like that just now 

Some lessons learned with the Flory wash - get the surface very glossy! I had a job removing it in some places that I didn't want it to stay...

Anyway, all done now and ready for the matt coat and final assembly. I am going to miss building these Eduard Spitfires when they are complete 😧

IMG_2348

IMG_2349

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

Anyway, all done now and ready for the matt coat and final assembly. I am going to miss building these Eduard Spitfires when they are complete 😧

You could always build another... Thats what I am going to do...! 

This is too good a group build, with too many good modellers all helping each other out to bow out now... we have at least until Jul 12 Thats plenty of time for a few more Eduard Spits for all of us!

Matt varnish next then? Then all the 'sticky out' bits? You are nearly done... you cant abandon us now!😉

• Like 3

Good to hear your signing on for at least another 2 Steve. The wash worked nicely subtle 

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT READY 

• Thanks 1

A brief update on progress tonight. Same status for this as for the low back. Just final weathering and fitting pitot, bombs antennas etc and this one will be done.

Anyway it’s standing unaided! I did find  the tail wheel a bit of a pain to fit and had to thin the strut to fit it into the housing - it was the same for both spits, so I’m not sure if it’s just designed to be snug or if I did something wrong when attaching the housing?

473EE6AC-6089-48A4-925A-15929D02F943

Edited by Steve 1602
Typo
  • Like 2

Here is the second kit in the Eduard Spitfire XVIe dual combo boxing.  These kits are just amazing to build and I think I will be getting more! I really enjoyed building them both and I liked the fact that there is such a visual difference between them.

I have really enjoyed the group build experience and all of the interactions and support from other BMers! I've learned loads!

Thank you Patrice @TEMPESTMK5 for hosting such an excellent group build and thanks to everyone who has viewed, liked or commented on my posts. I may be hooked on group builds (and Spitfires....!)

Anyway, on to the model!

Steve

Spitfire XVIe RR227

Sqn Ldr Otto Smik DFC

Commanding Officer 127 Squadron RAF,

Grimbergen Airfield, Belgium, November 1944

Killed in Action 28 Nov 1944

06C86584-9619-48BA-9961-9F99670154F9

3CC3354E-C234-4C19-979A-85EB4E4D4590

3770C948-3E67-4D23-AA16-4CDAD6356335

1C7DECBF-E5F0-4DFA-9221-2D4C57AC182B

38FCFE00-194C-4308-886B-BB90CEE93FAB

F5EDAAD7-6863-4594-8876-60B41AA2F3DA

2D78D80F-E141-4751-9A1A-3881789FC8CD

B27E79E9-9C02-4193-B544-93BF80DB3B8B

FF4AB93F-DCD0-4538-8D2F-6BA60C8E4BD5

And ta brace of Spitfire XVIs!

0B4A66DA-BAFA-4BB1-BE97-08E1A588B723

Edited by Steve 1602
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Steve 1602 changed the title to 1/48 Spitfire XVIe 127 Sqn RAF Sqn Ldr Otto Smik ***FINISHED***

Magnificent, the weathering is great and the paint job, colours all brilliant. Was such a Great thread(s) to follow! Taught me lots and enjoyed it so much you made me buy this boxing..

Fab work, well done Steve 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Magnificent, the weathering is great and the paint job, colours all brilliant. Was such a Great thread(s) to follow! Taught me lots and enjoyed it so much you made me buy this boxing..

Fab work, well done Steve 

Thanks - that’s really kind of you. It’s been a really friendly group build and I’ve really enjoyed the interactions with everyone. Delighted to have been a bad influence...!