Woody37's Airfix 1/48 Spit Vb Trop AB264 (Finished)

Hi all,

Making use of the Furlough period, I'll be doing an Airfix Spit straight out of the box as AB264. Really like the camo scheme on this one. It's the first Airfix Spit since I was a kid, the last being the old tropical Vb kit and inspired by that artwork of ER220  😍

spacer.png

I've just remembered I did an inbox review on this when it came out. Can't believe its been sat in the stash for 6 years!

I'll be doing a Tropical Hurricane along side, again using the new Airfix tooling.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 7

Well, I've made a start on this kit tonight. What a disappointment. Unnecessarily complicated, why use one part when you can use 3? Precision design frustrated with soft plastic and vague location points. Excessive and poorly positioned tabs holding the parts to the sprues. I always thought of Airfix as being a brand for young kids to get hooked in to the hobby, especially a Spitfire but not this. I'm building an old Hasegawa kit in parallel and it is a far better base kit. It lacks the internal detail but I'm enjoying it. Assembling the seat assembly has fought me all the way and I'm not looking forwards to getting the undercarriage fitted. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Sorry to say it but I won't be buying any more. That's the rant over!

fortunately the Hurricane is going together much more easily

• Like 2

I find the new Airfix Spitfire MkVbs a similar experience to you. Thats why the Tamiya Vb Trop is probably one of my all time favourite kits. I share your opinion on the Airfix kit. You are not alone. 

• Like 1

Glad it's not just me then. Once everything is together it looks very nice TBH, there's just a lot of scraping plastic away to improve tolerances, dry fitting and swearing! The last trop I built was the old Tamiya Vb, agree, it was a very nice kit to assemble

Despite the rant, the interior subassemblies have been done ready for paint. Also some dry fitting to watch out for issues. I dare say more will be required once paint is on, but I've already sanded some of the edges to compensate for paint

spacer.png

spacer.png

And as a side line, here's where the Hurricane is up to. This went together without many issues other than the leading edge roots of the wings which were fiddly to tidy up. I've added some rivets too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

On 13/04/2020 at 00:42, Blitz23 said:

Just wait until you get to the undercarriage 😱

I do like the new Airfix Spitfire kits but do wonder what they were thinking about, when the undercarriage was designed?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tony C said:

I do like the new Airfix Spitfire kits but do wonder what they were thinking about, when the undercarriage was designed?

I've not stuck the legs on yet. I'm thinking of chopping the half stump off the leg and gluing it to the other half that it mates too and drilling a hole to insert some brass rod if that makes sense? The Hasegawa one next to it looks far simpler, you stick the leg in a hole! I've got a few Eduard kits in the stash but not built one yet so may start one of them too so I can compare how they all go together.

Cheers

Neil

Still experimenting with the legs but in the mean time I've got the lower paint on. I've added a touch of white to the Tamiya Sky colour.

spacer.png

and with its bench companions, the hurricane has a sky blue underside whilst the Hasegawa spit has Azure blue 

spacer.png

• Like 16

Nice work on all three Neil. As a Hurricane fan I'd not be disappointed if progress photos of your one keep making guest appearences beside your Spitfire ;) 

• Like 1

Got some decals on the Spit now although still got the stencils to do. Being a plonka, I misplaced the fuselage decals on the starboard side....twice! Fortunately I have two kits so had spare decals to use. Got there in the end although had some issues removing the decals that spoiled the surface a bit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

and the sister ship...

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

Not much progress this week due to doing some 1/1 stuff. Got the undercarriage on the spit, but it's a bit flimsy. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Should get the matt coat on tomorrow and additional pastel weathering :)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Got the undercarriage on the spit, but it's a bit flimsy.

Is this where the model correctly mirrors real life versions? :P

• Haha 3

Great work Woody 👍

Looks like you overcame the problematic Spitfire with aplom. 

The Hurricane by comparison is a lovely kit to build. I just finished one and it was a joy.

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 10:47 PM, alt-92 said:

Is this where the model correctly mirrors real life versions? :P

Copius amounts of super glue seem to have done the trick as the legs are pretty sturdy now and have endured the wrath of clumsy sausage fingers!

On 4/24/2020 at 8:25 AM, GREG DESTEC said:

Great work Woody 👍

Looks like you overcame the problematic Spitfire with aplom. 

The Hurricane by comparison is a lovely kit to build. I just finished one and it was a joy.

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers Greg

Totally agree, the only but I didn't like was some serious sink marks between the fin and tail planes which were difficult to fill and sand without losing the detail around there.

Not got much done in the last week but they are now finished. The final bits were causing some procrastination!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png