1/48 Spitfire XVIe 443 Sqn RCAF ***Finished***

A little more progress and I got some medium sea grey on the undersides. I’m using Vallejo model air paints and I’m quite impressed with the colour and the way they spray straight from the bottle.

70A17944-411B-4428-B31C-38D938E74154

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bill Livingston said:

I like the look of that colour... it seems much lighter than the Tamiya MSG that I used... And you have done a really nice job on the spinner🙂

Thanks Bill - I have the Tamiya MSG as well but have made the switch to Vallejo. I think the Tamiya has a slightly greener tinge compared to Vallejo, but I always liked it when I used it. 

Yes, I was surprised at how green it looked as well.

I see Spitfires all the time as I live near Duxford, and when you see the MSG on a real aircraft it looks really light. Obviously, when you hold a sample up next to one, the colour is reasonably close... but full size colours on a 48th scale model just look far too dark.... (thats why I dont bother about colour accuracy too much. You should look into this with ship modelling... people are obsessed with getting an accurate colour, but it just looks completely wrong compared to the real thing).

I might try the Vallejo next time... as I said before, I have a lot of Spitfires to do... and I have lightened the Sky, Ocean Grey and the Dark Green to look a little more 'correct' on my model... but didnt do it with the MSG... and as you say, its a more green tone, so lightening it might look really wrong.

I will order some Vallejo and give it a try... I like the colour you got... 

In the meantime, here is a Spitfire in Duxford from a few weeks ago (while we were still allowed out)... now I know restored aircraft are not quite the same as wartime aircraft, and wartime aircraft were rarely ever the same colour anyway... but still...

Here is MSG... this looks closer to your MSG than mine...

spacer.png

And this is Sky, Ocean Grey, Medium Sea Grey and Interior Green... all much lighter in appearance than on a paint sample... and I used this to get closer to Sky 'as it looks' on my model.... and still failed, as it needed to be even lighter to 'look' right.  However, if I held a paint chip against it, it would probably match!

spacer.png

This is interesting... the Sky in particular looks very light here... but you see what I mean...

Thats why I would rather go for something that looks 'right' rather than absolute accuracy... 

I'm going to get some Vallejo... it seems to me that the hue is better... which means it might lighten better (I can hear some of the 'colour fidelity' people growling!).

I dont get involved in too many colour discussions anymore. If I like it, and it looks right, thats enough for me...

I look forward to your next post. 

(I'm going to start on the invasion stripes on mine this evening. I have a 'cunning plan'...it might work to reduce the masking and speed up the process...)

Edited by Bill Livingston
reformat layout
  • Like 2

Great photos Bill! You are very lucky to live close to Duxford, it’s such a great place to visit. 

I couldn’t agree with you more about the colour matching. I’m firmly in the ‘good enough’ and ‘looks about right’ camps! I think it’s all quite subjective anyway when lighting, ‘scale’ colour, environment etc is taken into account. 

If it helps, the Vallejo paint numbers I picked up for WW2 RAF colours are in the photo below. These are from the model air range and are all airbrush ready from the bottle.

823545B8-5A49-4BD8-BC4A-376B0567D29F

Good luck with the invasion stripes! I gave the undersides of mine a light overspray to touch a few areas up tonight and will start on the uppers tomorrow 

Steve

Thanks Steve, I'm going to keep an eye on your thread and see how those look, but I think I may just buy that same set. I built a MkI Spit recently, my first plane in years, and used Tamiya for the dark green and Gunze for the dark earth... which I think work really well. I had thought about Vallejo at the time, but for some reason stuck with what I have used before. 

I'm looking forward to tomorrows post from you now... I'm curios to see what the Ocean grey looks like...

(I stared on the invasion stripes this evening. I will post when its finished, which hopefully, will be tomorrow).

• Like 1

Undersides masked up and on with the Vallejo air ocean grey! I’m happy with how that has turned out and the marbling is giving some subtle variation in colour. It’s the first time I’ve tried that technique so I’m quite chuffed with how it’s gone.

Next step will be masking up to spray the green. I have some 1/48 Spitfire camo sheets from a Tamiya Spitfire vb - I’m going to see if I can adapt these to make some paper masks.

Steve

BFE72802-A520-47A3-BBE2-B1278667B2B3

C3819034-EAAE-4042-8C0F-9904DA1BC199

• Like 2

Masking complete. My cunning plan for speeding the process up by using paper masks turned into something of a slog. I think blue tack is a bit (a lot) faster! 

Done now though and ready for dark green!

Steve

16A9B727-7428-49A6-9815-3A1138228AF1

EED6B616-5BBF-47EF-9DD0-3ACBF18F573A

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dansk said:

great work. It all looks ace.👍 How on earth did you paint the spiral spinner?

Thanks! For the spinner I painted it yellow first and then used a thin strip of Tamiya tape that I cut to a tapered end. Then it was just a case of wrapping the tape until it looked right and spraying the black. I then tidied it up where needed with a fine brush. 

im enjoying following your build - these Eduard kits are fab!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finished the dark green tonight and the masks are off. I’m pretty happy with how this is starting to look. The masking (although painfully slow) has worked well and there are no major areas that I need to sort (may be different when I look in daylight!). 

The same problem though as for the other Spit - the wing leading edge stripes are a bit translucent so I should have built that up more before masking.... lesson learned!

Steve

7E940D0E-65BE-438E-999E-D70F4CFC60E9

85B125ED-3256-4E3D-9EB6-3B4BB89F5C54

2BBDD476-8019-4B31-A0B1-208CF12E90AC

• Like 3

A small update - I added some more yellow to the leading edge stripes and also put a little more ocean grey around the overpainted sky band. The green had worked well, but the grey needed a little more contrast. This one is ready for gloss varnish now and then I hope to start the decals over the weekend. 

Steve

4BA71C3B-FE37-47FE-BCD0-E4F3031DE374

Excellent progress. Thats looking good - I like the idea of cling film, I hadn't thought of that!

(I'm hoping to be doing the flap interior and the varnish tomorrow, with decals over the weekend too... I need to be faster, but work and the hot weather today got in the way again)

Thanks Bill, cling film is great to protect when there are little touch ups required. So much easier than masking it all up again. I’ve seen others use post-it notes as well.

I know what you mean about weather and work getting in the way. I went out for a lunchtime walk today to get away from the desk and I nearly melted! Shouldn’t complain though, teleconferences in the garden was not at all unpleasant! 

Look forwards to your next update.

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Bill! You are quite right, they are fantastic kits.

Decalling is about half way through, but I’ve taken a break now - should complete tomorrow and then I can start final assembly and finishing for both kits.

Steve

• Like 1

I hadn’t intended to do anything more tonight but....

....couldn’t resist!

That’s all of the decals complete now and I’m letting the microsol work it’s magic! I cut the ‘2’ around the cockpit door as I plan to have that posed open (there’s a separate part in the kit).

Sorry for the dark photos - I’ll get some better ones in daylight.

Steve

B25D10EF-4D9D-4D12-B58C-7E578A52229F

9CBF723C-D03B-46B5-8AF2-51049EC1D4BC

322FF199-AE66-4843-9FEB-150D0045969B

and the two of them together!

10AEECC1-2953-432E-87F1-B18459D467AE