Sea Vixen - recce pod.

Stulee

Dear Britmodeller,
I am new here, so let me say "Hello" for all of you.
I am a fan of the reconnaissance aviation and I would like to know some details about recce equipment of De Havilland Sea Vixen. I have plan to built one this model. 
Best regards,
Stulee 

The Vixen carried a pod on theS/B centre hard point, it carried two Vintern F95 cameras one forward facing & one 45o downward to port side, so it could see under the aircraft & long range on opposite wing. If you send me your e mail I have pictures regards Len 

13 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The Vixen carried a pod on theS/B centre hard point, it carried two Vintern F95 cameras one forward facing & one 45o downward to port side, so it could see under the aircraft & long range on opposite wing. If you send me your e mail I have pictures regards Len 

Hi that sounds very interesting any chance of a pic? 

22 hours ago, Stulee said:

Dear Britmodeller,
I am new here, so let me say "Hello" for all of you.
I am a fan of the reconnaissance aviation and I would like to know some details about recce equipment of De Havilland Sea Vixen. I have plan to built one this model. 
Best regards,
Stulee 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was going to say that I've seen it in the manual, but I have no way if uploading the pages, well done John!

I have seen it said that it is a modified Hunter drop tank (smaller type), don't know how right that is but the proportions seem similar enough for modelling purposes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As John says, both the FAW.1 & 2 used the same pod.

Probably the most well known example of a photo from the pod is the one of an 899 Sqn Sea Vixen FAW.1 refuelling an F-105D which was taken by a second Sea Vixen with the pod.

There's also a dramatic high altitude shot of the Isle of White and south coast taken from the same kit.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JagRigger said:

Good old F95's - wonder where they were first used ? Went on to Phantom, then Jaguar.....

I would say.. Hawker Hunter (recce) and Swift FR.5. Maybe DH Venom? 

Very interesting is other carrier F95  https://www.scalemates.com/no/kits/air-graphics-models-airac-163-aermacchi-mb326-impala-f-95-reconnaissance-pod--1196618

I would need to double check, but I think first RAF use of the Vinten F95 was in the early/mid 1950s with the Meteor FR.9 and PR.10.

It did serve for a long time, into the 1990s and went through various Mk numbers, at least to Mk6.