AMT 70 Dodge Challenger R/T. Calling it done for now

Hi

Since I decided to ditch a load of my aircraft kits and build mostly Muscle car kits, I thought I’d best start one.

Kits2020

For this I picked probably the worst first, 1 of 3 Dodge Challengers I bought, of which there is no good kit available really, all have their faults
The AMT 70 R/T has been out in many boxes, this is a standard one with no extra bits. 

Challenger

The main problem with this is the roof. It’s marketed as either a convertible or hardtop and does neither correctly. I’ve gone the hardtop route which has required a bit of filler 

Challenger

Not anywhere near perfect but as good as it gets. 
I have also added the front far too early but to get a clean join, I’ll have to force some engine bay parts in later on

Challenger

Colour wise, I think I’m going with yellow and black, I’ve sprayed up a spare charger shell to try some old aerosols as I can’t go out for more paint :(

Challenger

Challenger

Think I will go with the yellow and black bonnet but this one won’t be showroom finish. I’m thinking a rolling restoration, might leave a front wing in grey primer as if it’s been replaced, ratty but running.
Once I’ve got the body pretty much sorted, I’ll start on the rest of it. Typical AMT, a box of loose bits :D

Challenger

More soon as I have some more days off soon

Cheers

Chris

Edited by chrisrope
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Smallest of updates. I don’t have any Hemi-Orange for the engine so good old Humbrol 18 for the block and heads. I’ll dirty it up later when I’ve painted the gearbox

2020wed

Bronze engine is the 58 Plymouth engine, building that up as a side project so I can look at making the correct air filters for ‘Christine’

• Like 4

So, with a second spare Charger shell, I thought I’d try another can of paint I’ve had for a year or two. Halfords VW Mars Red over grey primer

Challenger red Challenger red

The red over grey tones down the brightness.  I liked it so grabbed the Challenger. 

Challenger red Challenger red Challenger red Challenger red

Definitely not anything near a real Mopar colour but should hopefully look cool with the black bonnet and shaker intake. 
Now just need to resist temptation and leave it alone for a few days :D

Red and black

Edited by chrisrope
  • Like 5

Never tried this wet sanding topcoat on a model before. So a couple of YouTube videos later and a practice on the Charger shell I bit the bullet with some fine grit from a car headlamp restoration kit. No progress pictures of that but it came out well.

I then shot it with many fine misted coats of clear lacquer throughout the day. I left it overnight and took these pictures in this morning’s sunshine 

Challenger Challenger Challenger

This will need the lightest of cutting back which I’ll do in a few days time :)

• Like 4

Looks as though you've got a good basis for the sanding there. I don't know if you have any micromesh (pads are better than sheets), but going from 6000 to 12,000 will really give you a smooth finish. Just be careful not to burn through the paint and you'll see a big improvement.

After trying to get a good black finish on the bonnet (and failing), I’ve decided to colour match it to the rest of the car. It didn’t look right anyway and just looked like an odd replacement bonnet. 
I also didn’t like the moulded on bonnet pins so I shaved them off, filled the tiny scratches and reprimed ready for the red. 

Cars stuff

Cars stuff

Hopefully get the red on today and a few other little bits done on the interior :)

• Like 4

Sooooo.....turns out the aerosol clear lacquer I used is pretty much garbage. Probably ok for stuff where you just spray it on and leave it but for this purpose requiring a wet sand, it’s not great. I pretty much ruined it trying to get it cut back but it’s all a learning curve having never done any of this before with aircraft builds. 
It’s now sitting in an oven cleaner bath ready to go again 

Cars

Think I’ll go back to using trusty floor polish for clear coating 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry for the misfortune on the clear. Chris I pretty much use Testors Lacquer decanted from the spray can and airbrushed onto the body and then after cureout and the wet sanding process I'll decant Testors Wet Look clear and shoot that through an airbrush. I get near perfect results every time. If you're interested I can share my technique with you.

Back to the start. 2 baths in different oven cleaners wouldn’t budge any of the paint or primer. Had to go with some aggressive sanding to get the paint to move, now back at a reasonably bare shell again. I’ve had to apply some more filler on the roof joins which I’ll sort tomorrow and hopefully get some colour back on. 

Restart

I’ve run out of grey primer so I’ll have to do a white or black base coat. It will live again :D

• Like 3

6 hours ago, chrisrope said:

Back to the start. 2 baths in different oven cleaners wouldn’t budge any of the paint or primer. Had to go with some aggressive sanding to get the paint to move, now back at a reasonably bare shell again. I’ve had to apply some more filler on the roof joins which I’ll sort tomorrow and hopefully get some colour back on. 

I’ve run out of grey primer so I’ll have to do a white or black base coat. It will live again :D

Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) will shift Halfords paint more readily than oven cleaner or brake fluid.   If you can scuff the colour coats to expose some primer, it'll work quicker.   I usually need a toothbrush for stubborn areas regardless.

It's a pity there's never been a really good kit of the Challenger.  The old MPC annual had the most accurate body, but those are expensive even for a glue bomb.   The AMT is probably next best, other than the roof being a bit too curved.   The Monogram T/A isn't bad, but the sides appear too deep, especially the doors.   The more recent Revell-Monogram diecast conversion is awful, I wouldn't give that house room...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Six97s said:

Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) will shift Halfords paint

It's a pity there's never been a really good kit of the Challenger.  The old MPC annual had the most accurate body, but those are expensive even for a glue bomb.   The AMT is probably next best, other than the roof being a bit too curved.   The Monogram T/A isn't bad, but the sides appear too deep, especially the doors.   The more recent Revell-Monogram diecast conversion is awful, I wouldn't give that house room...

I need to get some of this cleaning IPA, I usually just get the drinking one ;)

A decent 1/25 Challenger is sorely needed. This AMT isn’t bad but roof is wrong for a coupe and a convertible so does both wrong. 
The Monogram (and Revell rebox) is 1/24 so is noticeably bigger next to a 1/25. 
I actually have a later Revell kit too, it’s a bit slab sided which is a shame as it’s otherwise ok-ish detail wise

Such a shame this all went the shape of a pear, I thought we were on course to finish our Challengers around the same time (give or take).

I'd second IPA for paint stripping (make sure it's the 99.9% stuff though). Only problem is that for some strange reason people seem to have bought it all up for sanitising reasons. 😷

2 hours ago, chrisrope said:

I was annoyed but it was mostly my fault. Hopefully I can get it back to where it was

You sound determined enough to make just that happen Chris. Looking forward to the recovery.

• Thanks 1

Challenger

Challenger

Challenger

Back in primer :)

Took some more filler to smooth out some scratches I put in the plastic. I thought about leaving it in the sort of satin black of the primer just to get it finished but I think it needs a colour. It’s only black as I’ve run out of grey primer :( 

• Like 5

Shame about the paint.

I have used Fairy Power Spray to remove Halfords' paint before.

Smells a bit gross, but does the job.

Who would have thought that a detergent was strong enough to strip paint!

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alan R said:

Shame about the paint.

I have used Fairy Power Spray to remove Halfords' paint before.

Smells a bit gross, but does the job.

Who would have thought that a detergent was strong enough to strip paint!

Cheers,

Alan.

The original Fairy Power Spray worked well.  Unfortunately, it was reformulated a couple of years ago (presumably to make it "safer" to use) and you might as well try Fairy liquid as the new stuff.  :/  

On 25/04/2020 at 18:50, chrisrope said:

Back in primer :)

Took some more filler to smooth out some scratches I put in the plastic. I thought about leaving it in the sort of satin black of the primer just to get it finished but I think it needs a colour. It’s only black as I’ve run out of grey primer :( 

That looks good in black.   I used to see a black '70 Challenger at Long Marston in the late '80s...  now you've got me thinking about looking for an AMT kit.

20 hours ago, Six97s said:

The original Fairy Power Spray worked well.  Unfortunately, it was reformulated a couple of years ago (presumably to make it "safer" to use) and you might as well try Fairy liquid as the new stuff.  😕

That's a shame! It was about the only think that I could find that removed Halfords' paint without damaging the plastic...

Cheers,

Alan.

Speaking of paint, and knowing that you like a Charger, here's what I rediscovered in the attic the other day. I wondered where it had gone!

dfV8B0C.jpg

I got this as a wreck about 25 years ago at a car boot sale when I was at Scampton. It's the ERTL General Lee with a metal bodyshell.

New wheels & quarter bumpers from spares, I made a hood from aluminium, and I got the paint bay to spray it. So, it's Red arrows red!

Slight thread hijack but worth it, I think.

• Like 1