BIG Countach 31 years in the making...

A stated in my build thread, I was more concerned with achieving the beauty of this simple wedge form so well done by Bertone. I wanted no clutter like wing or black bumpers or wheel flairs to interfere. Operating details were omitted for ease of construction but a full engine and mostly full cockpit happened over time. Of great satisfaction is the creation of the wonderful OZ wheels by Angus Davidson with 3D technology. That alone makes my car truly unique for a Countach model.  It makes a welcome and unexpected addition to my small but very old 1/12 collection.

1-IMG-8010.jpg

2-IMG-8026.jpg

3-IMG-8013.jpg

4-IMG-8030.jpg

5-IMG-8032.jpg

6-IMG-8028.jpg

7-IMG-8015.jpg

Never leaving well enough alone and to torment myself forever I show a side view of the model. Then with a bit of crude graphic skullduggery, I lower the ride height to what I had hoped for. As stated in the build, I snipped one coil from each spring and that is the current result. But had I known, I'd have snipped 3. Here is the look of a 2" body drop on a 1:1 car. Much more accurate to 'low body' originals.

Before lowering:

8-IMG-8022-A.jpg

After lowering:

9-IMG-8022-B.jpg

The body bottom edges and wheel openings at tops of tires are the clues. Oh well, it looks fine in its glass home. Thanks for looking in.

• Like 20

As ever you have achieved an excellent level of finish. I for one would be exceptionally happy for that model to adorn my shelf. I doff my hat to you.

i wouldn’t worry about the ride height, it looks great as it is.

Coops

C, isn't there a way to reach into the wells with snips and cut two more coils piece by piece? Or would you need to cut the tube as well?

Overall I like your presentation of the countach. It indeed is a very characteristic shape, carefully designed and well proportioned. Especially the first picture in this thread shows that very well. With the usual shots the overall form often looks with overly pronounced edges. Indeed there are some well placed curves in the contour.

Keep on building. We like your models.

2 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

C, isn't there a way to reach into the wells with snips and cut two more coils piece by piece? Or would you need to cut the tube as well?

Sadly no. Even making a whole set of 6 new ones with smaller springs, while not very hard, is impossible to snake into the suspension arms, chassis tubes and the giant Pirelli's. And I'd have to get the present ones out to have the springs in hand to modify. Believe me I thought of it the minute I saw the trial fit. By then the suspension was permanent for strength.

But much thanks for the kind and constructive words and to all the 'likers'.

It's been good to follow this - at the very least I got a bit more orange Countach time, but more than that it's lovely to see you back at the hobby and turning out more great results. I would have to reserve particular praise for that engine though which looks absolutely fantastic.

Well done.

1 hour ago, dieselweasel said:

Codger the Countach looks brilliant , would like to see all of yours together, bet it would make an awesome display.

ATB

Jim

Certainly not 'awesome' Jim but the thought has taken hold. :devil: I've shuffled 4 around with the completion of this, looking for comfy glass homes for them. Maybe a group photo outdoors with cooperating weather.

And Spiny, your car made me smile with every post you made because I was winching at the tough parts and glued on how you solved them. They were remarkably alike. Cheers for a great job.

Again, thanks to all you lot for being kind.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Please start the engine, one can smell really the gasoline, well done mate, the Countach belong to my favourite Super Sport cars ever.

Thank you very much Harry - but I hope I didn't 'make your day'.....:mg:

On 4/7/2020 at 8:50 PM, Codger said:

Sadly no. Even making a whole set of 6 new ones with smaller springs, while not very hard, is impossible to snake into the suspension arms, chassis tubes and the giant Pirelli's. And I'd have to get the present ones out to have the springs in hand to modify. Believe me I thought of it the minute I saw the trial fit. By then the suspension was permanent for strength.

But much thanks for the kind and constructive words and to all the 'likers'.

From my experience it is always risky to improve an already beautiful model!

regards

Andreas 

• Thanks 1