As promised here is a picture showing the problem with the sprues:

sprues.jpg

Not as crisp as a usual "new tool" offering! Just removing the cockpit pieces was a pain; obviously some pieces are more difficult to get off the sprue than others...

Cockpit assembly is underway, but I'm a bit confused by the colour reference. The instructions show the interior to be painted with Humbrol 90, but usually I use Humbrol 78... Maybe a FAA difference for the Seafire?

78-90.jpg

Will do some research before painting the insides!

• Like 2

Humbrol 90 is/was suggested for Sky as per underside of BoB Spitfires etc.  It’s also been suggested for at least early supermarine spitfire production (as opposed to other factories shadow production) as they used a lighter interior grey-green than most.  However I thought post-war Seafires had black cockpit interiors, at least above the main longerons (door hinge height)?

FWIW I have used a 50/50 mix of the Tamiya equivalents to 90/78 to get a lighter brighter supermarine interior grey-green, looked nice on early Spits in combination  with the aluminium behind the seat frame.

Edited by malpaso
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

The instructions show the interior to be painted with Humbrol 90, but usually I use Humbrol 78... Maybe a FAA difference for the Seafire?

The interior bits shown as H90 'Sky' should be H78 'grey greeen'  if using Humbrol.

One point,  this was still when Airifx had an obsession with Spitfire/Seafire flaps.  Under normal circumstances, on the ground/deck, they are up.

this is worth  looking over as well

I've painted the cockpit. The real irony, after debating the interior colours, if that it will barely be visible. Consequently I've not detailed it too much, just a light wash and some dry-brushing on the IP:

pit-1.jpg

pit-2.jpg

I intend to remove the propellor attachment area, so the prop can be added later - makes masking much easier! The fuselage should be buttoned up soon. Next on my list is assembling these bits to form the folded wings:

wing-bits.jpg

I'm keeping this model fairly basic, due to the limitations of both the kit and my skill! Folded wings should add a bit of interest but the flaps will be up and the canopy closed.

• Like 4

Fuselage assembled and seams covered in Mr. Surfacer 500. Wing sections have been treated similarly, with MS500 along the leading edges. Note the rather scrappy hole in the fuselage nose (it won't be seen when the model is finished!) - this is for the propellor assembly to be added at a later stage:

fuse.jpg

• Like 5

Whilst spraying the dark grey earlier in the week, I used it to roughly pre-shade the underside:

pre-shade.jpg

A coat of Humbrol 90 (Beige Green) was then applied:

sky.jpg

The finished effect looks better in real life than on the photo - I was quite pleased for a first attempt with this technique. The other few bits are also being worked upon, such as wing folding support struts, undercarriage units and propellor. Painting the prop is next, once my new supply of black arrives. My previous supply became semi-solid...!

• Like 6

I used my mini drill (remembering to use water to cool the bit this time, after melting plastic on my Gnat build...!) and hollowed out the exhaust pipes. Possibly the most nerve-racking thing I've ever done to a model, hoping that the drill would not slip and cause major damage! The image below shows both exhausts, the one on the right has obviously been drilled:

exhaust.jpg

I played around with colours, starting with gunmetal then adding a touch of bronze:

exhaust-2.jpg

A dirty wash will follow, to hopefully blend it all together a bit better.

I have also been experimenting with Flory wash for the first time, after seeing it used very effectively in the 1/24 Hurricane build by @The Spadgent:

flory-1.jpg

A quick rub down with a damp cloth and it looked like this:

flory-2.jpg

I like the effect around the cowl fastenings and hatches, but it has over emphasised the massive panel lines on the model... With hindsight, I think these would have looked better filled in before getting to the finishing stage.

Next job is finishing the exhausts, painting the exhaust stains on the fuselage and getting some decals applied. Then a Flory wash all over to make this model pop a bit more.

I must admit, this kit is turning out much better than I expected. My first impressions were not good but I'm starting to quite enjoy it! 😀

• Like 10

Looking good Matt, I understand the nerve-rackingness of drilling exhausts and have messed up plenty along the way.

The success rate has improved exponentially since I started using the tip of a 10a scalpel swizzled about to make a pilot hole to start the drill in the right place.

Hope this helps the nerves on future builds and keep up the good work.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fatcawthorne said:

The success rate has improved exponentially since I started using the tip of a 10a scalpel swizzled about to make a pilot hole to start the drill in the right place.

Hope this helps the nerves on future builds and keep up the good work.  

Thanks Chris, I'll try that next time! I'm pleased to have done it (and delighted that all 12 holes were drilled successfully!), as the effect is a huge improvement on the kit parts.

Today has seen the weathering completed and a coat of varnish has just been applied to seal everything in. I've deliberately made it quite dirty - hopefully I haven't overcooked this aspect... No pictures unfortunately, but with any luck final assembly will take place tomorrow along with some pictures. I'm then I'm turning my attention to this little beauty which is also in the stash:

spitvb.jpg

• Like 5

One image to whet your appetite, the rest are in the gallery/RFI sections:

seafire-4.jpg

Despite being distinctly underwhelmed by the kit I actually enjoyed this build! There is one thing I have decided though - the next RN model I build will not have its wings folded. Whilst taking up less space and adding some interest to the model, I think it detracts from the gorgeous lines of this aircraft. I am finishing a Buccaneer at the moment, which has its wings extended and it looks far better that way...!

Right, onto the next Spitfire - the Vb beckons!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Wowza that one went at a pace. I have just noticed a bunch of your builds while having a break. 👍 this one looks great. Nice go at the Flory. Did you gloss coat before adding it? If not you should really. If you did you can really knock back the effect with a damp cotton bud if it’s too much. Either way she looks grand. I’m off to spy on your other stuff. 😍

Johnny

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Johnny.

Sorry for the late reply, only just noticed this...😳

On 24/06/2020 at 12:52, The Spadgent said:

Nice go at the Flory. Did you gloss coat before adding it? If not you should really. If you did you can really knock back the effect with a damp cotton bud if it’s too much.

I don’t think I did... 😬

Thanks for the tip; I’ll try it on my Mk.1A when I get to that stage! 👍

Work on that should start imminently - the Vb is almost done. 🙂

• Like 1