Bare Metal Spit – 1/48 RAAF Mk VIII A58-303 ***FINISHED***

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hmmm S.5 - nice! Love the Napier Lion engine. I have the AMP 1/72 kit on backorder.

Yes a tempting kit to leave the motor exposed and detail it up but then I'd break that lovely form.  What a gorgeoous little kit. In 1/72 it must be tiny. Anyway, it will be first up when I finish these Spitfires. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Yes a tempting kit to leave the motor exposed and detail it up but then I'd break that lovely form.

Sounds to me as if you need a second kit to do both options ;) 

Well I'm calling this one done.

Ventura individual serial number decals went on extremely well.

Note the heavy base coffee mug and Blu-Tac. My go to vice when decaling 1/48 fighter fuselage sides.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_91

A really enjoyable project and thanks for the support from the BM fraternity. Another fantastic Group Build. Special thanks to Peter Malone @Magpie22  for his brilliant responses on things RAAF and MkVIII. Hopefully I have done it justice. 

Hopefully last photo of this subject on the bench and soon some in the gallery. 

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_90

On to matters Mk XIV.

Ray

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Ray_W changed the title to Bare Metal Spit – 1/48 RAAF Mk VIII A58-303 ***FINISHED***

Congratulations!

Not only is this a wonderful rendition of a MKVIII in RAAF service, this thread it a 'go to' for all of us who want to improve our modelling skills with interesting and slightly humorous asides such as the 'modelling vice' above, which is both amusing and extremely helpful (I will be using that same tool when I come to recalling my fuselage sides!) but the post on masking, which was complete, thorough and well illustrated.

Not only is thread an example of good modelling, it is also an example of how to share skills and support other modellers in their quest to continually improve their skills.

So thank you Ray... this has been a wonderful thread to follow... and I am now looking forward to your MkXIV thread... I am sure we will all learn even more...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bill Livingston said:

Congratulations!

Not only is this a wonderful rendition of a MKVIII in RAAF service, this thread it a 'go to' for all of us who want to improve our modelling skills with interesting and slightly humorous asides such as the 'modelling vice' above, which is both amusing and extremely helpful (I will be using that same tool when I come to recalling my fuselage sides!) but the post on masking, which was complete, thorough and well illustrated.

Not only is thread an example of good modelling, it is also an example of how to share skills and support other modellers in their quest to continually improve their skills.

So thank you Ray... this has been a wonderful thread to follow... and I am now looking forward to your MkXIV thread... I am sure we will all learn even more...

Thank you Bill. I just like to share the pitfalls and some things that work for me. I have found the BM site a very sharing community. I have learnt much from others. Unfortunately/fortunately this time, there are some many good Spitfire builds happening it is difficult to get across everyone's work.  Ray

What a great build this is Ray, nice subtle techniques too😎

Love what you did with the natural metal finish as I think it is quite correct for this aircraft.

It was a good build to follow and I like your coffee mug solution for handling that delicate paintjob..

cheers, Jan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

What a great build this is Ray, nice subtle techniques too😎

Love what you did with the natural metal finish as I think it is quite correct for this aircraft.

It was a good build to follow and I like your coffee mug solution for handling that delicate paintjob..

cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan, I am enjoying your build to. Glad you like the coffee mug, I suppose you could use it for that, I thought it was a decalling vice. 🙂

• Haha 1

Sorry to hijack your thread for a simple question, but I'm not sure where to ask this...

I used the Mr Hobby GX112 varnish as you suggested. Finally got a few coats on this morning that didnt run, too...! 

How long do you leave before decalling? 24 hours, longer, or could I start this evening?

Micro Set and Sol... or Mark Setter and Mark Softer? Which would you use with GX112?

2 minutes ago, Bill Livingston said:

Sorry to hijack your thread for a simple question, but I'm not sure where to ask this...

I used the Mr Hobby GX112 varnish as you suggested. Finally got a few coats on this morning that didnt run, too...! 

How long do you leave before decalling? 24 hours, longer, or could I start this evening?

Micro Set and Sol... or Mark Setter and Mark Softer? Which would you use with GX112?

I usually leave it 24 hours although I have had no trouble laying down GX112 or GX100 late afternoon and decaling next morning. I only use the GSI Creos (Gunze) products Mr Mark Setter and Mr Mark Softer and quite often the Setter only if significant decal softening is not required. In your case, I would be inclined to even leave it longer as you had that finger print suggesting some softening.

I expect you can get away with shorter time frames although experience has taught me to err on the side of allowing  longer hardening times if I have any doubt.  

By the way great recovery job.   

• Like 1

Got to agree with Bill and Jan. A great job and I've certainly learned from your build, thanks Ray!

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I only use the GSI Creos (Gunze) products Mr Mark Setter and Mr Mark Softer and quite often the Setter only if significant decal softening is not required.

Just acquired these, will be experimenting - carefully, I read somewhere they can be quite potent.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks great Ray. That’s a superb finish you’ve achieved, I really, really like it. I now think I need a silver Spitfire in my life!

I love the coffee mug ‘vice’. I’ve stolen and used the idea tonight! Brilliant - so much easier than my normal balancing act!  

Great build to follow and learn from 👍🏻

Steve

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Johnson said:
11 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Just acquired these, will be experimenting - carefully, I read somewhere they can be quite potent.

Charlie, I have never found them that way although I stand corrected. Earlier this year I did have some twenty year old decals really screw up on me. First time so maybe there is some truth. I really do like the Setter, a small amount applied to give you some working time moving decals around and seems to also suck them down nicely. I only use the Softer now for difficult shapes and form. 

8 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

Looks great Ray. That’s a superb finish you’ve achieved, I really, really like it. I now think I need a silver Spitfire in my life!

I love the coffee mug ‘vice’. I’ve stolen and used the idea tonight! Brilliant - so much easier than my normal balancing act!  

Great build to follow and learn from 👍🏻

Steve

Thanks Steve for the kind words.

Glad you like the coffee mug, Jan even suggested that you could drink coffee from it - amazing! Mind you, it's a 0.4 litre.

I have to say, these mugs are great for a beer. For some reason, beer out of a 0.4 litre white lined porcelain mug tastes delicious. The list of uses just keeps growing.

Ray 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

A little late to comment now, I just picked the up as a link from Doccur's Mk1 build.

Didn't take part in the GB so avoided looking in case I was tempted ( I already have 3or 4 unfinished Spitfires ) but I will go back and read this properly.

Fantastic finish.

Stay safe.

John

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I will go back and read this properly.

Thanks John, I built 3  (1) Eduard Mk. VIII Bare Metal (2) Airfix Mk. XIV and (3) Airfix Mk. Vb converted to a Vc. All RAAF subjects. I enjoyed the GB immensely.

Spitfire_A58-84_Final_FInal

Ray

• Like 5