Bare Metal Spit – 1/48 RAAF Mk VIII A58-303 ***FINISHED***

13 minutes ago, Col. said:

I'd say go with the XIV then get wired into that Sea Fury ;) 

Good option. Agreed.

9 hours ago, Ray_W said:

At least it's not a Sea Fury, small opening and black

Yes, but I'm still going to do the business in the cockpit, same kit as Ray. Looking forward to it!

Back to Ray's build...

8 hours ago, Ray_W said:

The Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black is also a dirty black

A good idea, but is that from a rattle can? My 1500 is grey from a pot.

9 hours ago, Johnson said:

A good idea, but is that from a rattle can? My 1500 is grey from a pot.

Hi Charlie,

From the pot thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinners. I occasionally use the grey, rarely the white and nearly always black. People often ask thinning ratios. I mix in the cup, thinner first then add the surfacer. Ratio Thinner:Surfacer 75:25 maybe 80:20, who knows. Also the older the pot the thicker the mix and the more thinner. I just adjust it till I'm happy. On this I let the airbrush do the talking. You feel it in the trigger if you're got it wrong and then how it lays down on a piece of paper and then the model. And you may have to adjust as you go. Seconds work for silky smooth. Pressure varies by airbrush and how close to the work I need to get, some sensitive detail may need a low pressure, and crank it up for better coverage and standing back though it's usually in the 10 to 25 psi range. I want wet, not flood, to level and prevent overspray orange peel.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_27

Here's the insides with the grey-green. Always difficult to get the photo to show. Maybe you can see that it already has some depth and shadowing before detail painting. I will still use a targeted panel liner though I do not want too much. Too difficult to remove with all that finnicky detail even wet with micro-brushes. Just want flow and forget.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_26

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks Ray. I’m just starting using Mr Surfacer and your tips and photos are really useful. I quite agree about the airbrushing being a ‘feel’ thing. There are so many factors involved that it’s impossible to give a precise ratio or pressure. I would like to try the black 1500 but seems hard to get here, maybe it’s the lockdown.

Best wishes,

9 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I would like to try the black 1500 but seems hard to get here, maybe it’s the lockdown.

If I did not have it I'd use any black base. Just I like it.

• Like 1

I'm calling the cockpit done. Time to zip it up. 

I'm happy with how it looks - nicely busy and reasonably accurate. A little extra detail in a Spitfire cockpit isn't wasted.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_31

Up close and personal.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_28

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_29

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_30

Knowing me, I'll probably do a couple of things and then close it up.

Ray

• Like 16

19 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

The addition of the airhose just took this to the next level

The air hose is such a feature in Spitfire cockpits. On this build I had a lot of fun working out exactly what's going on with the Spitfire oxygen system and tried to replicate the visible components. For the hose, and there are a lot of ways to skin this cat, I used what I had which was thin copper wire and then wound 0.3 lead wire around it. I did the first one with 0.2 mm lead wire and thought it was too skinny although in hindsight, looking at the close-ups, I think the 0.2 winding would of been better. The 0.3 still looks reasonably effective, certainly without magnification. If you look on line, the warbird spares advertise "genuine" economiser with a corrugated black hose. It certainly changes to the hemp colour closer to the pilot. I saw images also in hemp so thought I'd take the one colour all the way.  

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Wow the cockpit is amazing! Nice job!

Thanks Paul, I was just over admiring your build. Wonderful. Are your photos working in the gallery?  Ray

29 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Thanks Paul, I was just over admiring your build. Wonderful. Are your photos working in the gallery?  Ray

You’re welcome.

shots: Yes well i think so they look ok to me on phone and computer - can you not see them or is it just me?

7 minutes ago, Dansk said:

You’re welcome.

shots: Yes well i think so they look ok to me on phone and computer - can you not see them or is it just me?

No can't see them. I can see stevej60's prior post and your WIP. Might be just me as srkirad and PeterB responded. 

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

No can't see them. I can see stevej60's prior post and your WIP. Might be just me as srkirad and PeterB responded. 

Sorry we’re hijacking your thread here.

i’ll put a new one up and see if that works

17 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Sorry we’re hijacking your thread here.

i’ll put a new one up and see if that works

No problem. The new post is working so I can enjoy your pics in the gallery. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, woody37 said:

It will be a shame to close that cockpit up, lovely detailing :)

Thank you. It's still there.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_35

• Like 3

Not much to report. Just gluing this beautiful kit together. 

One thing I did do was to make that top cowling removable. Then I can paint the aircraft, cowling and exhaust separately with no need to mask the exhausts. I can drop them in last. The fit is good enough for this to happen.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_37

I have Barracuda's cowl on order and changed my mind to again use the kit parts and join the cowl halves. Call it impatience.

I put some additional support on the inside.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_32

Taped it in place with some aluminium foil where I did not want it to glue and that gave me the join line to work on.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_34

Used Tamiya extra thin and pushed down from above to close the joint. No photos because I did not have enough hands. After that was glued I strengthened the inside with CA before lightly sanding the seam. Then tested myself with the low level reflection shot. I used a little Mr Hobby Surfacer 500 at a couple of locations, fine detail preserved and it'll do.

8Spitfire_VIII_Construction_37

Most of the aircraft is NMF except the top of the cowling which is flat black, even better, so all should be good. In fact, once the Mr Surfacer undercoat goes on any join line visibility will disappear. I'll save the Barracuda Resin for another day when I have a top cowling disaster.

Ray

• Like 5

Your cockpit looks just as impressive inside the closed fuselage as it does in seperate component form but now you're just showing off with that smooth upper cowl join :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Col. said:

Your cockpit looks just as impressive inside the closed fuselage as it does in seperate component form but now you're just showing off with that smooth upper cowl join

Scary part coming up - Natural Metal Finish - I'm going to try AK's Extreme Metal. Now that will be interesting, a true test of how good joints are!!

• Like 2