Bare Metal Spit – 1/48 RAAF Mk VIII A58-303 ***FINISHED***

Bare Metal Spit – 1/48 RAAF Mk VIII A58-303

I’m in! How can you not do a Spitfire on Britmodeller particularly in a STGB? It should be a mandatory Rite of Passage.😄

I planned to do my FR.47 but, it’s in Australia and I’m locked down in Europe. So, I tried the LHS for something and picked up the Eduard 1/48 HF boxing of the Mk VIII.

I have chosen something a little different being a RAAF Spitfire Mk VIII serial A58-303 with its camo removed. It will be nice change to do a silver Spit especially in bare metal and not High-Speed Silver.

Here’s a picture of the chosen aircraft from http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Spitfire-A58-303-2/Spitfire_A58_303

Spitfire_XIII_Construction_1

The markings for this aircraft was one of the options in the Eduard Limited Edition 1/48 “Aussie Eight” boxing, which I do not have. I prefer to paint the roundels anyway, so this is not a problem and I'll figure something out for the serial numbers. Anyway, I like the idea of no decals for a bare metal aircraft and this aircraft looks like the stencilling was not replaced, also, good. Simple markings and I have great interest in what can be achieved with the bare metal finish. I have not done one for eons and there are some interesting products around to achieve the effect. Let's see how it goes.

A freshly opened box just back from the hobby shop.

Spitfire_XIII_Construction_2

Now for a little research as to any visible differences between an LF and HF Mk VIII other than the pointy wing tips. I recall from somewhere A58-303 was an LF. I expect everything is in the box.

Should be fun,

Ray

• Like 11

Another point of interest with this aircraft is its use in later testing of Professor Frank Cotton's Anti-Gravity suit (G-suit). There is a nice photo of the pilot boarding this aircraft decked out in his Anti-G pants.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_4

Here's an abstract giving some detail https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2178602

Unlikely, but hopefully I can stumble on any cockpit mods that were made, if any, to accommodate the suit.

Ray

• Like 4

The fun has started!! Not much to report other than to post an "official" start. Just a little bit of work drilling out bulkheads thinning seats and getting ready for some extra cockpit detail. Copper and lead wire, plasticard and Evergreen styrene ready. Eduard's delightful kit - a great basis. The next couple of evenings should see something a little more exciting come together.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_17

I've ordered a bit of aftermarket - Barracuda block tyres and replacement top cowl. For my last Eduard Mk IX effort, I planned to use Eduard's Brassin replacement. Found it was not a great fit and the fasteners were a tad over done. Changed back to the kit's supplied split version and got a satisfactory result. This time, let's see Roy Sutherland's effort.

Should not be to a complicated build. Let's hope there is enough time for another Spit or 3. I love those late 40's heavily weathered spits as posted in some of @Troy Smith posts.

Cheers,
Ray

• Like 8

Just about got those cockpit sidewalls ready for painting. I added a little and changed things based on the Mk VIII pilot's notes. The port sidewall is quite different to the Mk IX and the kit. 

First though the starboard side.

1. I removed the ID light morse key and spare gunsight bulb holder.

2. Replaced the morse key with something a little better.

3. Added a vent mechanism in the same area. The gunsight spare bulb holder now will mount a little higher to the right of the instrument panel just under the windscreen.

4. Fab'd the IFF remote contactor.

5. Put in the piping, charging cylinder and tank for the windscreen de-icing system.

6. Removed the pilot oxygen supply cylinder. Supply will be from the cylinder as relocated in the rear of the fuselage. I might still fab a saddle and clip on the sidewall in the early model position but without cylinder. That white square block will the economiser. I'll fit the long hose to this and clipped to the side wall after painting. 

And the usual few other little bit's and pieces.

You'll note I like to glue in place the IP bulkhead to finish off some of the piping. I also break from Eduard's instructions and glue the lower sidewalls in place so I can work on the whole sidewall.  

Question for the experts: The Mk VIII pilot's notes show a spill valve control on the Starboard side wall. Was this normal for a Mk VIII? EDIT: I think I've answered my own question. I believe, the spill valve was related to de-pressurising the Mk VII cabin as opposed to something associated with the fuel system and if so I do not expect it was on the Mk VIII.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_22

The port side was a little more complicated. 

1. Removed the controls and map pocket located under the trim wheels and cockpit entry door. I was so keen to get into the build that I had done my normal and glued the sidewalls to the fuselage with throttle and trim wheel. Yes I was on "build auto-pilot" not expecting any major changes. I then had to work around everything without damaging parts. I did remove the sidewall to give me some space to work and glued it back in after the detail was removed.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_20

2.  Used the voltage regulator parts and relocated it under the cockpit entry door.

3. Put in that new control box under the trim wheels.

4. Fabricated a few odds and sods and sods and wiring to jazz it up a little.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_21

The Pilot's notes show a massive wiring harness under the throttle. I'm still tossing up whether I do this because in 1/48 with the wiring thickness it can easily look overdone. I'll probably add a couple of extra wires but this can wait till after painting.

Now deciding how much to do on the compressed air cylinders and behind the seat. Maybe not much as in this scale very little is seen anyway. 

Hopefully find some more time soon to focus on the remaining cockpit items.

Bye for now,

Ray

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

That’s some impressive detailing you’ve got going on Ray 😎
I didn’t realise there were so many detail differences between positioning of various elements in the cockpit between the Mk VIII and IX.  

Steve

Thanks Steve.

I didn't either and really stumbled onto it trying to find where the voltage regulator went.  I am going off the artist illustrations in the Mk VIII pilot notes (thanks Peter M @Magpie22). It seems as good as anything. Difficult to get a period image of non-museum or current flying warbird with that port sidewall detail.  

Ray

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Christer A said:

I had no clue that there were so much of the tiny stuff missing...

Hi Christer, The Eduard kits are beauties out of the box and once buttoned up not a lot can be seen. Thankfully the Spitfire has that access door giving a little more of a view making that doing a little extra worthwhile. Once it's done what do you normally notice - seat and belts, joystick and Instrument panel - in this regard the kit shines. I just have fun doing that little extra research on the project then trying to execute it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

The Pilot's notes show a massive wiring harness under the throttle. I'm still tossing up whether I do this because in 1/48 with the wiring thickness it can easily look overdone

Ive used heavy duty sewing thread thats been braided at the factory. Or braided thinner thread to show multiple strands for wire runs. C/A or white glue work for it. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive used heavy duty sewing thread thats been braided at the factory. Or braided thinner thread to show multiple strands for wire runs. 

Thank you. That is a good idea. :thanks:

• Like 1

Just hade a look at my Brassin VIII cockpit and it includes most of the changes you've done here, except not adding as much to the upper cockpit. I'm not surprised , but maybe a little bit disapppointed that not "everything" is included.

3 minutes ago, Christer A said:

ust hade a look at my Brassin VIII cockpit and it includes most of the changes you've done here, except not adding as much to the upper cockpit. I'm not surprised , but maybe a little bit disapppointed that not "everything" is included.

Thanks Christer, interesting I'll take a look. Always challenging with the aircraft changes that occur even within the same series and not having the real aircraft at your back door. For example, that vent change I made may only be for the Mk VII but the pilot notes for the VII and VIII does not identify it that way. It just says "early aircraft" so I modelled it that way. Also Eduard do provide what looks like a vent position on the outside at that position. It is fun trying to sort it out though. Also, the gun camera control/instrument was removable. You will sometimes see just the mounting bracket and the cable clipped neatly. No instrument. I chose to model it for fun. Not totally happy and will do a little rework on it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Very impressive indeed. Great kit and great work on this 

Thank you sir. It's getting there.  

@Johnson

Thanks Charlie

@Cookenbacher

Thanks Cookie,

Yes Spitfires are fascinating subjects. Now I'm sorting out the oxygen system all for that flexible hose on the starboard sidewall, which is such a dominant feature. Interesting subject because of where the oxygen piping goes. From the high pressure storage cylinder located and quite visible on the starboard wall between frames 11 and 12 or alternatively, as done for later marks like the VIII, from back down the end of the fuselage (and yes a second cylinder could be piped in at the back for certainly Mk V onwards), through the pilot stop-cock on the starboard side wall, to the pressure regulator on the LHS of the Instrument panel where the pressure was dropped to a useable level, then back down to past Frame 12 to the economiser and then connected to a long flexible hose that was threaded back under the pilot seat (actually) through a low hole on the RHS of the pilot seat bulkhead frame 11 to be then clipped on the side wall for the pilot to access and connect to. I read in one of Edgar's old posts, bless him, that minimum 26 inch to be allowed from the clip. 

I'll keep having fun.

Ray

• Like 1

Spent some time getting more little things done in the cockpit. Things that, I think, improve the look considerably such as, thinning the seat sides to something more like the actual, ditto for the rudder pedal sides (thinned on the right, left as supplied and yet to be done), and drilling out the lightening holes in the bulkheads and seat support frame.

I also added a little more detail to the air reservoirs for the pneumatic system. On this,  I found a number of different interpretations in warbird reconstructions and by modellers. I could not find a wartime Mk VIII image (all my references are back home in Australia)  so I made a compromise and settled on one modeller's view of things. Of course there is always a danger in this, but, it does represent the right components nicely mounted on a frame rather than flapping in the breeze or mounted to bits of sidewall. Now the latter, "on bits of sidewall" sounds very Spitfire. Thinking that the Mk VIII was an improvement, utilising some wartime experience, I thought maybe the designers improved the layout. Good enough for me and it will be difficult to see in the completed model anyway just adding a touch of "there is something going on down there". A bit overscale but there is a limit with fat fingers and eyesight. Here's a pic of this work.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_23

Still further fiddling around with the sidewalls. Eduard's instrument panel now ready for a black wash and then pick the dial faces with AK's Gauzy (or Future) and that control stick needs a couple of wires (gun camera button? Maybe).

I like to build a number of these little sub assemblies getting ready for painting which is real soon.

Eduard instructions show Aluminium coloured sidewalls from Frame 11 to 12. I still have not made up my mind on this and whether to go Interior Green all the way to Frame 12. Looking at wartime shots of Aussie 8's, I cannot see a bright Frame 12 bulkhead so it seems sensible to stick with grey-green. I do like it Aluminium after Frame 11., adds a little interest. I see the question has been raised again in the our STGB Chat and the usual Edgar's response appended. On this I am never clear.  CORRECTION: I am using the Eduard early HF version boxing where they show aluminium frame 11 to 12. I checked their Aussie Eight instructions and they actually take the grey-green back to frame 12. Kudos to Eduard for these very fine details. 

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_24

Ray

• Like 6

A lot of tidy work going on in there Ray. Hopefully all or at least most will be visible upon completion as it looks great so far.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Col. said:

A lot of tidy work going on in there Ray. Hopefully all or at least most will be visible upon completion as it looks great so far.

Thanks Col, in terms of seeing something there are two things in your favour with a Spitfire (well the earlier Marks anyway), an open access door and Interior grey-green. At least it's not a Sea Fury, small opening and black. 

• Haha 1

I now have the undercoat on the interior. I like working off a black base for most things and besides the black undercoat does look kind of cool. I find it gives depth to the interior and means I can go lightly with a wash to accentuate any interior detail. Also it does not matter if you can't get the top coats into the deep recesses - then it can be a light dusting and natural shadow.

My go to undercoat, as used here, is Black GSI Creos (Gunze) Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500. It nicely tones down any glue stains and gives a great base for the colour coat which will be Lifecolor RAF interior green. I can usually get the Lifecolor down pretty quickly onto this undercoat even though Lifecolor is not a lacquer friendly acrylic like Mr Aqueous Hobby Color and Tamiya. I am in no hurry so I'll let is cure overnight.

Lesson for those who may wish to try this and switch between different paint chemistry and have not done it before - a fastidiously clean airbrush is mandatory. Tamiya and Gunze acrylics love levelling lacquer thinners. Lifecolor loves water with maybe a touch of flow enhancer. 

The Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black is also a dirty black so I find it good for prop blades, and starting the paint process on tyres and exhausts. No tyres yet. They're on order.

Spitfire_VIII_Construction_25

Ray

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Thanks Col, in terms of seeing something there are two things in your favour with a Spitfire (well the earlier Marks anyway), an open access door and Interior grey-green. At least it's not a Sea Fury, small opening and black. 

True but I do like the Sea Fury despite, or perhaps because, of that :lol: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

True but I do like the Sea Fury despite, or perhaps because, of that :lol: 

And I am a hypocrite. Looks what's ready to go ...

20200417_160954

I do have an excuse that I'm sticking with and that is I am building up the enthusiasm to remove all Airfix Sea Fury surface detail and re-scribe and subtle rivet so wanted less time in the cockpit. Sadly, no time for it in the  "In the Navy" GB. Once I'm out of these Spitfires - and I'm tossing up whether to do a XIV or a XVI next or wouldn't it be fun to punish myself with the Special Hobby 1/48 Mk XII and "go to town" on it - I think i'll just have to let it slide and wait to do it as a WIP.

🤔  … that Mk XII sounds real interesting. Hannants show it in stock. I wonder if there's time ...

• Like 2