Royal Navy Martel (Radar & TV Guided) Colours?

scarlett

Morning all, hope everyone is keeping safe!

Looking for some help. All of the images I have seen of Royal Navy Buccaneer's with a Martel mounted either radar or TV guided seem to be white whilst later RAF ones appear in white and green. The question is, did Royal Navy Buccaneer's only use white Martel's or where green in service as well? any images would be greatly received.

Regards

Paul

Not wanting to upset anyone but Martels were not white but LAG, Light Aircraft Grey, The TV variant was used by the RN on Ark Royal.  They were still LAG when the RAF used them and they were painted green when the Bucc went wrap around camo.  The pods were painted green as well, but it took until their next big servicing until that happened, so you can end up with with a LAG DLP and green missiles.  If you did not know, the radar versions of Martel were lock on and fire, then it was on it's own, the TV version was launched about 15 miles from the target and the aircraft then turned away.  The missile transmitted it's picture to the launch aircraft via the DLP (Data Link Pod) and control signals were sent back to the missile, that's why the DLP looks back to front.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, scarlett said:

Looking for some help. All of the images I have seen of Royal Navy Buccaneer's with a Martel mounted either radar or TV guided seem to be white whilst later RAF ones appear in white and green. The question is, did Royal Navy Buccaneer's only use white Martel's or where green in service as well? any images would be greatly received.

I posted some information on Martel missiles then I realised that without quoting you, you may not see it.  I worked on them from 1982 until they went out of service, replaced by Sea Eagle missiles.  Anything else you need to know, just reply with a quote.

Bob.

• Like 1